Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 10 2013, 02:17 AM   #31
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: What stories from history would you like to see made into movies?

I know I've said it before on this board, but I'd love to see a movie or miniseries chronicling the building of the Great Wall of China.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:11 PM   #32
Tulin
Vice Admiral

The Roanoke Disappearance.

There's a Neil Marshall movie just waiting to be made right there!

My luck - Shamadingdong will read this and make it!

BLERGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:33 PM   #33
Forbin
Admiral

That's ShamaLAMAdingdong!

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:36 PM   #34
Gaith
Rear Admiral

- The San Francisco 1906 earthquake... in 3D, please. I wanna go back in time and see my hometown as it was then!

- The 1919 Paris Peace Conference, as a 6-7 hour miniseries of statesmen, soldiers, artists, and everyone else in Paris at the time.

- Against All Enemies - the failures to stop 9/11 and the selling of the Iraq War. Not sure what HBO's waiting for on this one... the books was in development at some point, but it's been years since I heard anything about it.

- The Devil in the White City - another film project gone quiet. Not so much because I care about the serial killer story; I just want to see the Chicago Fair re-enacted in glorious detail. Though I'd prefer the San Francisco World's Fairs to get their own movies, of course.

- A JFK double feature, written and filmed as one project, released as two movies some six months apart. Film One is a straight biopic from history; Film Two is a best-guess counterfactual of what might have happened had he survived Dallas.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'm sort of surprised that no one (as far as I know) has optioned Gene Roddenberry's life rights. Perhaps his heir(s) have been unwilling to sell?
Anyone can make a movie about an important historical person, living or dead; there's no copyright on public figures, though what they said and wrote is a different story - rumors have it that the MLK estate, for instance, isn't interested in letting a movie quote his most famous speeches unless it really... whitewashes (womp-womp) any of his actual character flaws. But it didn't stop HBO from giving him an origin story of sorts in the pretty-good Boycott.

While I don't doubt that one could make a great Roddenberry biopic totally apart from Trek, I doubt one could finance it, so really one would have to make it at Paramount/CBS, and then you'd have to cast the TOS actors... which would be awkward considering there's the JJ-cast still making movies.

I guess one could make a jaunty/comedic "Roddenberry Begins" sort of movie, ending with him walking into an office to pitch Trek, and casually tweaking history to liberally sprinkle winking foreshadowing throughout his earlier career - space serials he watched growing up, a fellow Army pilot who's quite Spock-like, an Uhura-like secretary at his command, etc. I'd watch that. One might even get away with not having any overt ties to Trek in that way.

... Likewise, the makings of Star Wars and Apocalypse Now would make great flicks.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Second--an honest retrospective on the life of Theodore Roosevelt.
Good one! He'd make for an excellent miniseries, given the huge breadth of stuff he did. Di Caprio was rumored to be attached to a John Logan TR script for a while... I guess that fell through.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
First --the Galveston hurricane of September, 1900 that killed more than 6,000 people. I can't believe it's never been put to film.
Eh, San Francisco quake pic first, then we'll talk Texas.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:53 PM   #35
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

1Corporate greed that highlights Aspartme or Light bulb conspiracy, or medical companies using people as lab mice
21906 San Francisco earthquake
3The Southern terrorist attack on the SS Sultana and the sheltering of John Wilkes Booth
4Laika aka muttnik
5The extinction of the N.American Eastern Cougar
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:18 PM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Corporate greed that highlights Aspartme or Light bulb conspiracy, or medical companies using people as lab mice
???

The Southern terrorist attack on the SS Sultana . . .
Well, that's a new on on me. The Sultana blew up and sank because of a shoddy repair job on a leaky boiler.

Still, the Sultana disaster would make a good direct-to-cable/DVD movie. Probably not enough interest in the subject to warrant a theatrical release.
Old June 11 2013, 01:49 AM   #37
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I'd like to see a movie about the glider riders in World War II. While the paratroopers got all the press (even though Band of Brothers is one of my favourite miniseries ever), most people forget that almost a quarter of an Airborne Division were actually landed by glider.

Without them and the heavy weapons and extra supplies they brought with them, the paratroopers would have had a much tougher time during their operations.
Old June 11 2013, 03:51 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

The Flying Tigers.
The John Wayne movie was okay, but it was mostly made up. The real story was, of course, more interesting.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:25 AM   #39
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

You guys have given some excellent movie ideas that I would love to see filmed.

You know what else I would like to see? One based on the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. I would like to see it named Tiananmen Square, I would like to see internationally famous Hollywood names attached to the project, and I would like to see it given a huge marketing budget with lots and lots of hype.

Then I would like to watch the Chinese government squirm as they try desperately but futilely to prevent their own people from finding out that the movie exists.
Old June 12 2013, 04:25 AM   #40
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Ooh, ooh! Joaquin Phoenix as Gene Roddenberry!

A former military officer and outsider who cheated on his wife, had ego issues and yelled at people.

He can have an emotional breakdown and rip sinks out of the wall!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:40 AM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
... Likewise, the makings of Star Wars and Apocalypse Now would make great flicks.
A fictional movie about the making of Apocalypse Now seems like a waste to me as long as the powerful documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse exists. What more could a fictional account do, except dramatize scenes which we can already see for ourselves?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:14 AM   #42
UssGlenn
Captain

USS New Orleans (CA-32) would make a great war movie. She was one of the most highly decorated ships in WWII. She lost the first 150 feet of her bow at the Battle of Tassafaronga and narrowly escaped sinking and had to sail backwards for months, until they could give her a major refit.
Old June 12 2013, 03:43 PM   #43
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Corporate greed that highlights Aspartme or Light bulb conspiracy, or medical companies using people as lab mice
???
something like 'erin brockovich' or 'the insider' but with a more speedy pace and more thought provoking

scotpens wrote: View Post
Well, that's a new on on me. The Sultana blew up and sank because of a shoddy repair job on a leaky boiler.

Still, the Sultana disaster would make a good direct-to-cable/DVD movie. Probably not enough interest in the subject to warrant a theatrical release.

It was a terrorist attack, four boilers exploding at the same time more than coincidence and the government didn't pursue it because ending the civil war that killed millions was more important (200 thousand combatants and another civilian 850,000 from starvation, destruction, disease)
Sabotage terrorism was common place in the war, you'd get a log or a big chunk of coal, hollow the fuel object out
and pack in the insides of it with an explosive like dynamite
As the boys pick up their coal or logs and throw them into the fire of the ship, little do they know they are chucking torpedos into their own ship. Explosive dynamite residue was found in the remains, Robert Louden a southern communicator and solider, made a deathbed confession of having sabotaged Sultana by a coal torpedo bomb.

Last edited by TheMasterOfOrion; June 12 2013 at 06:22 PM.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

William Wallace would be a fine subject for a historical film.
Old June 12 2013, 04:03 PM   #45
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I don't remember many War of 1812 shows/movies. I think the only thing I know about that war was that it created the American National Anthem.