Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 8 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Re: Game of Thrones (book/show) newbie (please no spoilers!)

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
The first three books are probably the best fantasy I've ever read. I've read them 3 times and will probably re-read again when the sixth book is released. The show is a great adaptation - not perfect, but the books aren't perfect either. Books 4 and 5 were a big letdown for me personally.
I agree 1-3 are better, and among the best fantasy I've read also, but 4 and 5 are still very good fantasy novels. They just lack the momentum of the first 3 because of how GRRM changed his original intention regarding the story's pacing.

I'd say watch the episodes of the show that are available now first and then read books 1-3
But if books 1-3 are the best fantasy to be read, why spoil all the plotlines by watching an inferior TV show beforehand?
IMO, the problems with 4 and 5 go far beyond pacing and momentum, but let's not fill this particular thread with spoilers.

Also, I love the TV show. Seeing before reading or reading before seeing will spoil the other thing anyway, but TV show comes more regularly than the books and most chances are that the ending to this whole story will be on TV first. So unless the OP wants to wait with watching the show till 2020 or thereabouts, I'd recommend the TV show and then reading. In my humble opinion, of course.
Old June 8 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The first three books are probably the best fantasy I've ever read. I've read them 3 times and will probably re-read again when the sixth book is released. The show is a great adaptation - not perfect, but the books aren't perfect either. Books 4 and 5 were a big letdown for me personally.
I agree 1-3 are better, and among the best fantasy I've read also, but 4 and 5 are still very good fantasy novels. They just lack the momentum of the first 3 because of how GRRM changed his original intention regarding the story's pacing.

I'd say watch the episodes of the show that are available now first and then read books 1-3
But if books 1-3 are the best fantasy to be read, why spoil all the plotlines by watching an inferior TV show beforehand?
Okay so you don't like the show.

How about letting others make up their own mind instead of continually pissing on it.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Dream
Admiral

I find that the books and the show compliment each other very well.

The books are very detailed, we find out much more about the backgrounds of the characters and history of Westroes.

The show is great because nearly all the characters are perfectly cast, the superb production values, and awesome visual effects. The amount of characters to keep track of in the books can be overwhelming, so it's great to finally have faces for all the characters.
Old June 9 2013, 12:48 AM   #19
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Marc wrote: View Post
Okay so you don't like the show.

How about letting others make up their own mind instead of continually pissing on it.
The fuck is your problem? The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I sort of half-watched the tv show when it started (I wasn't paying proper attention) and got fairly confused fairly early on. I only really started paying attention in Ep 9 when the big final scene of that episode happened and I thought 'F*ck, that's some brave storytelling.' I then wished I'd been watching more closely all along.

Around the time that S2 began airing, I saw the first book in my library. As a rule, I Don't Read Fantasy Ever. Other than the LOTR saga, none of it ever appealed to me. And I figured I probably wouldn't like this book. But I thought, well, it's free, I can read a few pages or chapters and if I don't like it, I'll return it.

Totally hooked. Loved the book even more than the show and mentally kicked myself for not paying proper attention to the tv show. Was lucky enough to find the second book almost immediately in the library. Downloaded 3 & 4 on my kindle, bought the 2 volumes of part 5 in Tesco on a buy-one-get-one free offer.

I have since re-read all the books and as a rule I Don't Re-Read Books Ever. And I loved them as much the second time. I actually bought books 1 and 2 to complete my collection as well.

So if a non-fantasy reading, non-re-reading type like me has read and re-read these books...that's how good they are. I'd definitely say give the first book a go at the very least.
Old June 11 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Shanndee
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
^The first three seasons cover the first two books and the first 60% or so of the third. When you get to the equivalent of the big scene from last week's episode you'd want to stop reading, because soon after that major developments that won't happen in the show until season four begin to occur.
Thank you! It is good to know how far I can read without spoiling myself for the show (as I said before...I would have hated to have known about certain events).

I have a week off and I intend to get a little reading done in that time. The first 4 books have been sitting on a bookcase mocking me for some time now. It is good to have a "stop here" point in mind.

Cheers.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources

Last edited by Shanndee; June 11 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^You're welcome. As Venardhi said, if you read as far as that (and you might want to edit out those last words in parentheses-- for newbies they're a spoiler, if a vague one), you'll see the introduction of at least one character who hasn't appeared on TV but will, and some others who may or may not make it into the show. Nothing much happens with them up to that point, but if you don't want to read about characters before they appear on the show, you might just want to stop at the end of the second book.
Old June 11 2013, 07:34 PM   #23
Shanndee
Commodore

Oh, sorry! I thought that was the title of the episode. I would hate to be responsible for spoiling someone when I had just posted about not wanting to be spoiled. Eeek!. Edit complete.

Thanks again!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:38 AM   #24
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Oh, I've already been spoiled about this thing - whatever it is - since everyone everywhere is mentioning those two words in relation to the apparently shocking last episode of GoT!

Meanwhile I'm already around page 150 in the first book - I really like it. I wanted to see the first episode at least, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Reading just makes me more curious how certain things looked on screen.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:47 AM   #25
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

First book is a masterpiece, which is impressive considering it's almost entirely set-up for later, bigger events. Though I think Dany was never nearly as fascinating later on as she was in Book 1.
Old June 12 2013, 06:02 AM   #26
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Yay! A friend of mine is lending me the first two seasons on Blu-Ray!

BTW, do you know why George R.R. Martin isn't on Twitter? He's already killed all 140 characters.
Old June 12 2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

The first three books are probably the best fantasy I've ever read. I've read them 3 times and will probably re-read again when the sixth book is released. The show is a great adaptation - not perfect, but the books aren't perfect either. Books 4 and 5 were a big letdown for me personally. The narrative in them is divided by characters, meaning you'll get some of the characters in one of the books only. The fifth book also ends on a million different cliffhangers and you'll have to wait for a couple of years at least to see their resolution.
I noticed that on Amazon the first 3 books are very highly rated by readers (4.5 out of 5 stars). but the last 2 have more of a mixed reaction (3.4 out of 5 stars).
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I think that if Martin had kept the 4th and 5th book as one book it would have been better despite the size that that book would have been.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Pro Populo
Rear Admiral

I borrowed the first season of the show from a friend a while back and really enjoyed it, though I haven't seen any following seasons yet. While I'm sort of aware of what's been going on, and have been spoiled on a couple things, I decided to start reading the books before picking up with the show again.

I'm only about 100 or so pages into book 1, but I'm loving it so far (despite already having seen the show and knowing that the first season sticks fairly close to it). However, I was rather surprised to learn that they aged up a number of characters for the show that are supposed to be quite a bit younger in the books, though I suppose that makes sense given some of the things they go through (*cough* Daenerys *cough*)...
Pro Populo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:23 PM   #30
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Not just that but kids are only allowed to work certain hours so it's annoying casting them in main roles if you're shooting for 10 months.

It's left me in the creepy position of wanting to sleep with Sansa and Dany in the show .