RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,582
Posts: 5,515,152
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 547
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 8 2013, 03:56 AM   #16
Albertese
Commodore
 
Albertese's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Re: Model Painting tip request

I've had Testor's metallic paints have different results. I think it can tend to have weird not-drying effects if it's not mixed up so well. Any time I'm using a metallic spray paint, I shake it up for a full minute... yes, it seems like a really long time. During that minute, I'll run warm tap water over the can periodically and shake it more. Do this three or four times to make sure the whole volume of paint in the can is a consistent warm temperature. The warmth helps it flow well. The shaking helps it mix well. Metallic paints tend to separate much more than regular colors and that can really muck up your final results. Also the kind of plastic you're spraying on can effect the results, but you're good with the styrene these models are made of.

--Alex
__________________
Check out my website: www.goldtoothstudio.squarespace.com
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Ziz
Commodore
 
Ziz's Avatar
 
Location: NY
Re: Model Painting tip request

Where do you live? What's the weather like there? Reason I ask is that ideally, you want to spray paint out doors when the weather is around 70 degrees or so. Outdoors for air circulation, temperature for better paint flow.

Also, when spraying, start "off" the subject, spray in a smooth motion all the way past it and finish "off" the subject. You don't want to start or stop the spray "on" the object you're painting. And as mentioned earlier, multiple light coats are better than one thick one. Build it up, go over it a few times from different angles and positions.
__________________
Modular Models - Build your fleet YOUR way.
Ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain
 
Patrickivan's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Model Painting tip request

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Edub I do plan on a test run on an plastic.

Patrickivan I was planning on light coats. Do you think a primer coat on ships this small would be a good idea?

137th, as I stated before, I like your ships.

The U.S.S. Richthofen is pretty original, both in design and color. Interesting you used a TOS saucer with a TMP nacelle. Federation ships in other than traditional colors are interesting to me, too. After looking at my thrashed Enterprise A (the larger AMT Star Trek IV version) from when I was in junior high years later (this was circa late 90s) I once pondered what a refit Constitution class would look like in Romulan Warbird colors. I tried but didn't work out so well.
Yes- primer will be fine- but again- don't cheap out on it. I buy a very fine Tamiya primer, but it's pricey. Works very well on my small parts without hiding detail. Keep it light and don't bother with multiple coats. I find anyway.

Albertese wrote: View Post
I've had Testor's metallic paints have different results. I think it can tend to have weird not-drying effects if it's not mixed up so well. Any time I'm using a metallic spray paint, I shake it up for a full minute... yes, it seems like a really long time. During that minute, I'll run warm tap water over the can periodically and shake it more. Do this three or four times to make sure the whole volume of paint in the can is a consistent warm temperature. The warmth helps it flow well. The shaking helps it mix well. Metallic paints tend to separate much more than regular colors and that can really muck up your final results. Also the kind of plastic you're spraying on can effect the results, but you're good with the styrene these models are made of.

--Alex
Good point about the metallic paints separating, Alex... I did a test run of various colours to use as a base for my 1/350 E, (Primer/ metallic/ Pearl white/ decals)... Anyway- I forgot to give a good shake and the separation is bad. Plus one without primer and I got bad adhesion and separation as well...

Ziz wrote: View Post
Where do you live? What's the weather like there? Reason I ask is that ideally, you want to spray paint out doors when the weather is around 70 degrees or so. Outdoors for air circulation, temperature for better paint flow.

Also, when spraying, start "off" the subject, spray in a smooth motion all the way past it and finish "off" the subject. You don't want to start or stop the spray "on" the object you're painting. And as mentioned earlier, multiple light coats are better than one thick one. Build it up, go over it a few times from different angles and positions.
70 degrees?! WTH is that in Canadian? Oh who am I kidding, I was brought up on both imperial/US and metric here... I got it...
__________________
http://patrickivan.wordpress.com/page/2/

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Model Painting tip request

Have you considered using Alclad? They make Pale Gold, Copper, Polished Brass and Gold Titanium metallic finishes. For a polished metal look, Alclad needs to be airbrushed over a smooth gloss black undercoat.

Note: I've read about the stuff but never used it on models myself.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:55 AM   #20
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: Model Painting tip request

Where do you live? What's the weather like there? Reason I ask is that ideally, you want to spray paint out doors when the weather is around 70 degrees or so.
I'm in Phoenix, so kinda hard to do that right now. We're hitting 110s during the day, right now.

As for the paint, I bought some today, but have yet to start the painting.

Primer= Tamiya fine surface primer (white)
Paint= Rustolium bright coat gold metallic finish
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Ziz
Commodore
 
Ziz's Avatar
 
Location: NY
Re: Model Painting tip request

Ah...really hot then. What about early morning or late evening when it's cooler?
__________________
Modular Models - Build your fleet YOUR way.
Ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:35 PM   #22
TheSubCommander
Captain
 
TheSubCommander's Avatar
 
Re: Model Painting tip request

Ziz wrote: View Post
Ah...really hot then. What about early morning or late evening when it's cooler?

Yeah, that is what I was thinking, though there are nights it stays above 100 well after sundown. Hence the reason I haven't painted yet, as I'm not a morning person
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.