RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,367
Posts: 5,356,210
Members: 24,625
Currently online: 676
Newest member: 3d gird

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 01:33 AM   #1
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Greetings,

I think this is either Dr Arik Soong or an Augment ancestor of all the Soongs.



1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII

If the Soongs are descended from one of Khan's crew, it would explain Arik Soong's interest in the Augments and the Soong's genius.
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

What is Data's head doing there when it's supposed to be under San Francisco?

CANON VIOLATION
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:00 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:43 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #5
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:58 AM   #6
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?

1 - Okay, so I think that the person in the cryotube is Arik Soong's ancestor.

2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:10 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.

The interesting question is whether it was intentional.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:15 AM   #8
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

teacake wrote: View Post
I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.
Same here

Although someone else said it looked like Picard.

I definitely thought it looked like Data/Lore/Dr Soong
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:18 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Too much hair for Picard!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:31 AM   #10
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

It's Data! Oh, just think of how much dialogue they could lift from TNG in the next movie...maybe they can have nuData say "The line must be drawn here!" Get it -- it's Data saying it this time instead of Picard! Wow, what a twist! Throw in some head crushing and mass destruction! Yeah, that's the ticket!
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:15 AM   #11
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
Duh.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
Honestly, it's difficult to tell if he's being serious there. It definitely doesn't come of as Spiner "desperately wanting" to be in the movie.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

They'll bring back Soong, but cast an Asian guy who looks nothing like Spiner in the part.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Ooh... maybe Noonian Soong is Arik Soong is the REAL Khan Noonien Singh !

Data is the brainchild of KHAAAAANNN !!!
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.