Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 29 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Lance
Commodore

Something about TOS I never realised before...

... sequentially in Stardate order, the first stardate we're given is 1312 (Where No Man Has Gone Before), and the last is 5943 (All Our Yesterdays). So it appears we do get to see the five year mission in TOS's three seasons... if we are to assume that 1000 stardate points roughly equal a year.

I've never noticed that before. Strange that it never occured to me to really look at the Stardates in any great detail.

Also, Catspaw (SD: 3018) evidently takes place before Space Seed (SD: 3141), meaning that the oft quoted 'continuity error' of Chekov not being on the Enterprise when Khan first visited her must not be true. Chekov is seen on the bridge on the earlier Stardate, ergo he was obviously there (off-screen) when they discovered the Botany Bay.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: Something about TOS I never realised before...

Finally the universe makes sense.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Green Shirt
Commodore

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Finally the universe makes sense.
Yeah, we can all go home now.
Old May 29 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

The only downsides: one or two cases of stardate overlap in the early episodes (mainly, "Miri" vs. "Dagger of the Mind", but Kirk may have been too consumed by the illness to get the last stardate right in "Miri"...), and then a problem that doesn't go away even with the extra years allowed by the stardates.

That problem is from the stardate-free "Day of the Dove", where Klingons think they have upheld the peace signed after "Errand of Mercy" for three years. It's not even two between the airdates of the episodes, so one'd think the stardate model would bring some relief here. Alas, "Errand" has a stardate of about 3200, so "Day of the Dove" ought to take place around SD 6200. Which isn't impossible by any means, but a bit annoying, when the stardate order would otherwise have TOS end with a bang - the supernova explosion of "All Our Yesterdays".

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
The only downsides: one or two cases of stardate overlap in the early episodes (mainly, "Miri" vs. "Dagger of the Mind", but Kirk may have been too consumed by the illness to get the last stardate right in "Miri"...), and then a problem that doesn't go away even with the extra years allowed by the stardates.

That problem is from the stardate-free "Day of the Dove", where Klingons think they have upheld the peace signed after "Errand of Mercy" for three years. It's not even two between the airdates of the episodes, so one'd think the stardate model would bring some relief here. Alas, "Errand" has a stardate of about 3200, so "Day of the Dove" ought to take place around SD 6200. Which isn't impossible by any means, but a bit annoying, when the stardate order would otherwise have TOS end with a bang - the supernova explosion of "All Our Yesterdays".

Timo Saloniemi
Klingon years could be shorter.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
... sequentially in Stardate order, the first stardate we're given is 1312 (Where No Man Has Gone Before), and the last is 5943 (All Our Yesterdays). So it appears we do get to see the five year mission in TOS's three seasons... if we are to assume that 1000 stardate points roughly equal a year.

I've never noticed that before.
I did, but then that would mean that the production order is not the chronological order, which is, while possible, weird.
Old May 29 2013, 11:34 PM   #7
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe the star date numbers are chosen like in the lottery.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Warped9
Admiral

I've never noticed that before. Strange that it never occured to me to really look at the Stardates in any great detail.

Also, Catspaw (SD: 3018) evidently takes place before Space Seed (SD: 3141), meaning that the oft quoted 'continuity error' of Chekov not being on the Enterprise when Khan first visited her must not be true. Chekov is seen on the bridge on the earlier Stardate, ergo he was obviously there (off-screen) when they discovered the Botany Bay.
I realized this some years ago. Nice how that fell together, eh?
Old May 30 2013, 02:42 AM   #9
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

I actually feel better now about the whole Khan/Chekov thing. Finally, I can get some sleep.
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:29 AM   #10
MarsWeeps
Captain

if we are to assume that 1000 stardate points roughly equal a year.
Grant me one assumption and I can prove anything.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

I think the writers just thought of a random number and added, say 100, onto it to get a Stardate.

Its all bollocks really.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #12
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

1000 star dates equal a year roughly... Is this not defined somewhere? I feel silly for not know this but what is the breakdown of a star date?
Old June 1 2013, 03:10 AM   #13
Lance
Commodore

Delta Vega wrote: View Post
Its all bollocks really.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Timo
Admiral

1000 star dates equal a year roughly... Is this not defined somewhere?
Since it holds together so amazingly well for TOS, it may be the people slapping stardates onto those episodes did indeed think in these terms. Or at least some of the people did.

Basically, though, 1000 SD/season was decided upon for the first season of TNG, and they stuck to it thereafter - the big question is, does a season equal a year? In most writing, it does, but sometimes the writers make mistakes there, and sometimes it's more convenient to claim that five years have passed rather than the actual three seasons if it allows an older child actor to be used for Molly O'Brien...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:51 PM   #15
bbailey861
Admiral

I never tried figuring it out and just ran with whatever number they threw at me. It hurt my brain too much trying to sort out events and dates into something that resembled real time.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote