Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 20 2013, 01:12 PM   #76
diankra
Commodore

Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But the idea was that the ship itself had the intelligence to do that, that it was closer to a living organism than a mindless machine, even if it wasn't fully self-aware.
A little like the Liberator in Blake's 7 (among many other possible influences, aside from independent inspiration, but that was the current-ish one, as the series was just getting its first US runs around that time).

The idea that was talked about in the early TNG development material was "Technology Unchained," the idea that technology had become so advanced as to be all but invisible and effortless to use. Which is why the TNG bridge originally looked more like a conference lounge than a computer center.

The problem was that technology so advanced that it never goes wrong didn't make for good action-adventure storytelling. They needed things to break down, and so they needed someone to fix them.
Which B7 got round through the ship and its auto-repair systems being alien, with their own priorities, so they wouldn't necessarily put the crew's interests first (and sometimes even got actively hostile to crew interference). But for a Starfleet vessel that's not a plot option (but ooh, you could do some nice stories about the first post-Hurgh Klingons perhaps, flying captured Hurgh vessels that are actively hostile to them...)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:31 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Harvey wrote: View Post
Starting a new (temp) job this Monday, so next week's post is up a little early:

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...nfluences.html
Interesting. Sadly typical of Roddenberry to deny that he was drawing on others' work. He not only took credit for things his collaborators came up with, he couldn't even admit his influences! He had to pretend he made up everything himself.

Maurice wrote: View Post
You forgot to mention 17:01 at the top of Forbidden Planet.
Umm, I can't tell if you're joking or referring to something real about the movie. We know that Matt Jefferies picked "1701" because it was more legible onscreen than other numbers.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:36 PM   #78
Harvey
Admiral

He's joking.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:21 PM   #79
M
Vice Admiral

Is he, though? I always understood that the registry number 1701 was indeed inspired by the the mention of "17:01" at the start of Forbidden Planet. So that's only a coincidence then?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 05:50 PM   #80
EnsignHarper
Commander

Starting a new (temp) job this Monday, so next week's post is up a little early:

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...nfluences.html

The commentary on the revisions to Scott's character courtesy of Gene Coon is interesting; I'll have to keep it in mind next time I watch the first two seasons.
What is important about Scotty during the series run, is that he is the one supporting character whose character was allowed to be fleshed out somewhat during the series run, and whose importance to the show (and the story) grew. Jimmy Doohan even noted that how it 'just got better and better'. In the aborted proposed phase II series, there were several scripts that would have given Doohan chances to really shine.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:47 PM   #81
Maurice
Vice Admiral

He's joking.
But you gotta admit it's a funny coincidence coming in the first few lines of the film.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:57 AM   #82
Harvey
Admiral

I finally finished my entry on 'The Great Phaser Caper' for this week: http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...ser-caper.html

Busy work week ahead, so probably just a short post next week.

Old July 29 2013, 04:01 AM   #83
Joe_Atari
Lieutenant Commander

I finally finished my entry on 'The Great Phaser Caper' for this week: http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...ser-caper.html
Very nice article! I'd love to know more about what happened in the month prior to the Klamer deal being killed; did Klamer himself ever give his side of the story when the rifle was auctioned off?

I love how Gene felt the need to call attention to the way he was "Living up to my promise to notify you..." -- as if that was something unusual for him. Why do I have the feeling Gene just liked the deal with Jeffries and Wah Chang better (had to pay a few bucks but got to avoid the propmakers union and didn't have to give up the toy rights). And was Gene taking credit for the series Phaser design in that memo? Didn't Jeffries and Chang do that?
Joe_Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:06 AM   #84
Christopher
Writer

^Was there anything Roddenberry didn't try to take credit for?

Old July 29 2013, 04:30 AM   #85
Harvey
Admiral

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Very nice article! I'd love to know more about what happened in the month prior to the Klamer deal being killed; did Klamer himself ever give his side of the story when the rifle was auctioned off?
Unless I zoned out during the auction's video with Klamer, which I briefly quote, I don't think he got into detail about it. This listing just says "Eventually, Klamer did no further work for the series, but retained these outlines." Judging from some searching on Google, I don't think Klamer spoke to the press about the item, beyond the auction site's listing.

Old July 29 2013, 02:38 PM   #86
Warped9
Admiral

Quite a few years ago aridas worked up a really good idea for a TOS era phaser rifle. It was immediately recognizable yet also looked more than just rearranging familiar elements together. To me it looked like it could really have fit seamlessly into the show.

I wish I could find it again. I was sure I had a copy of it.
Old July 29 2013, 02:47 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Quite a few years ago aridas worked up a really good idea for a TOS era phaser rifle. It was immediately recognizable yet also looked more than just rearranging familiar elements together. To me it looked like it could really have fit seamlessly into the show.

Aridas posted links to it back in March in this post, but the links show up as "temporarily unavailable."

Old July 29 2013, 03:42 PM   #88
Warped9
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

Aridas posted links to it back in March in this post, but the links show up as "temporarily unavailable."
Unfortunately, for his own reasons, aridas has recently withdrawn from pretty much all things Trek including shutting down his Federation Reference Series website. Maybe he feels burnt out or it's something else. I have no clear idea as he hasn't communicated his reasons to me or anyone else I know of.
Old July 29 2013, 05:49 PM   #89
alchemist
Commander

I've always found it interesting that Matt Jefferies' annotations are all over that phaser rifle design sketch...
Old July 30 2013, 02:20 PM   #90
alchemist
Commander

FWIW:

The second season publicity brochure from NBC has a photo of Shatner holding the Klamer rifle. There's also a behind-the-scenes photo in it from Catspaw, so that might help a little with the dating of the brochure.