RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,578
Posts: 5,514,832
Members: 25,154
Currently online: 506
Newest member: MC1367

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 16 2013, 07:29 AM   #61
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

I still haven't polished off the piece about 'the great phaser caper' -- just procrastinating at this point, really -- but I have managed to finish an entry about how James Doohan was almost dismissed from the series after the second pilot.

Star Trek's Chief Engineer Who Almost Wasn't

Thinking about starting a Twitter feed to help readers (and me, heh) keep track of all the behind-the-scenes material that has leaked online. Would that be of interest/use to people, or would I mostly be providing links to material people are already familiar with?
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:35 AM   #62
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Great stuff. Thanks for the nod in the previous entry.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:50 AM   #63
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Adjusted for inflation, Jimmy's $850 a week would be over $6100 now.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:31 AM   #64
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Didn't Roddenberry think that TNG wouldn't need a "regular" engineer as well?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:46 AM   #65
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

^Indeed; the idea was that the technology by that point was so advanced that the ship could essentially repair itself. But they kept needing guest engineers anyway, so in season 2 they moved Geordi from conn to engineering.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:50 AM   #66
Bumbles861
Admiral
 
Bumbles861's Avatar
 
Location: bbailey861 in Kingston, ON
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Harvey, your hard work and terrific writing style does not go unnoticed. Thank you for the great work - it's a pleasure to read.
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:54 AM   #67
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Dramatically, does that strike you as a good or bad idea? In-universe, it's hard to believe that you wouldn't need someone in charge of keeping the ship running, even if its mostly automated. It's a ship with very complex equipment that can easily turn lethal, after all.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 02:02 AM   #68
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

^But the idea was that the ship itself had the intelligence to do that, that it was closer to a living organism than a mindless machine, even if it wasn't fully self-aware. The idea that was talked about in the early TNG development material was "Technology Unchained," the idea that technology had become so advanced as to be all but invisible and effortless to use. Which is why the TNG bridge originally looked more like a conference lounge than a computer center.

The problem was that technology so advanced that it never goes wrong didn't make for good action-adventure storytelling. They needed things to break down, and so they needed someone to fix them.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:05 AM   #69
EnsignHarper
Commander
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Harvey wrote: View Post
I still haven't polished off the piece about 'the great phaser caper' -- just procrastinating at this point, really -- but I have managed to finish an entry about how James Doohan was almost dismissed from the series after the second pilot.

Star Trek's Chief Engineer Who Almost Wasn't

Thinking about starting a Twitter feed to help readers (and me, heh) keep track of all the behind-the-scenes material that has leaked online. Would that be of interest/use to people, or would I mostly be providing links to material people are already familiar with?
Even though Scott was IN more shows, it wasn't until Gene Coon came along that someone figured out what to do with the character. The difference between the first and second seasons, is the difference between the character being 'Scott', and the character being 'Scotty'.

Great stuff!
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 04:20 AM   #70
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
Even though Scott was IN more shows, it wasn't until Gene Coon came along that someone figured out what to do with the character. The difference between the first and second seasons, is the difference between the character being 'Scott', and the character being 'Scotty'.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Gene Coon came onboard as producer early in the first season, beginning with "Miri," and was the credited writer of five episodes in the first season, more than he wrote in the second or third.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 05:44 AM   #71
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral
 
MikeH92467's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But the idea was that the ship itself had the intelligence to do that, that it was closer to a living organism than a mindless machine, even if it wasn't fully self-aware. The idea that was talked about in the early TNG development material was "Technology Unchained," the idea that technology had become so advanced as to be all but invisible and effortless to use. Which is why the TNG bridge originally looked more like a conference lounge than a computer center.

The problem was that technology so advanced that it never goes wrong didn't make for good action-adventure storytelling. They needed things to break down, and so they needed someone to fix them.
That's the same problem that arises with the idea of "perfected humans." If humans don't have any flaws, you don't have any conflict and if you don't have any conflict you don't have any stories.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 12:31 AM   #72
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Christopher wrote: View Post
EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
Even though Scott was IN more shows, it wasn't until Gene Coon came along that someone figured out what to do with the character. The difference between the first and second seasons, is the difference between the character being 'Scott', and the character being 'Scotty'.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Gene Coon came onboard as producer early in the first season, beginning with "Miri," and was the credited writer of five episodes in the first season, more than he wrote in the second or third.
Scott went from being stalwart to something more than that by late 1st season, so it is easy to attribute that to Coon. Until we have that THESE ARE THE VOYAGES book we won't know for sure, but I'd bet he did the better stuff as cowriter on ARMAGEDDON, which is seriously good Scotty work. And we already know he encouraged Gerrold to play up the Scotty/Kirk stuff in TRIBBLES.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:23 AM   #73
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Starting a new (temp) job this Monday, so next week's post is up a little early:

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.co...nfluences.html

The commentary on the revisions to Scott's character courtesy of Gene Coon is interesting; I'll have to keep it in mind next time I watch the first two seasons.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 04:55 AM   #74
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Harvey, this really is fantastic stuff! Very well done, sir.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 07:52 AM   #75
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

You forgot to mention 17:01 at the top of Forbidden Planet.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.