Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old June 10 2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Enterprise NCC-01

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
We have seen Star Fleet use NX for experimental vessels before.

We haven't seen Star Fleet use class names as part of the ship's registry.
That's because, as has already been stated, there's the Earth Starfleet, and then there's the Federation Starfleet.

In the Earth Starfleet, the Enterprise, Columbia, and presumably the four other ships named after the space shuttles are of the NX class. Presumably past Earth Starfleet vessels were of such classes as the NU, NV, and NW classes, and that ships after the NX class might have been designated as NY or NZ class. The class name was followed by a production number, which made up the ship's registry. But that's just speculation on my part, because the show never provided any cut-and-dried information about that, other than the NX-01 Enterprise and the NX-02 Columbia.
Old June 12 2013, 12:36 AM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I doubt they were even thinking about the Dauntless (or chose to overlook it) when they conceived NX-01.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the registry numbers for both ships were so similar.
I think it was a case that they just wanted to use the NX-01 registry and weren't too concerned that some other ship in VOY had been designated NX-01-A.

According to reports, the producers weren't above reusing the Akira-class--totally unaltered--for the NX-class, even though it had been seen briefly in First Contact (Doug Drexler and ENT art team apparently insisted on altering it).
Old June 13 2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Mario de Monti
Captain

Well to me it seems pretty obvious, that the "NX" denotes some kind of experimental vessel: In First Flight there are the NX-Alpha and NX-Beta which clearly are experimental craft, analogous to Earth´s (real) X-planes. We don´t know how many (if any) followed after these two, but at some point Starfleet decided they had done enough testing and built the first "true" starship. Since it concluded this NX test series, they simply kept the NX-designation and added the numbers instead of the greek letters. And even though more than one NX-starship was built and they are comprising the "NX-class", they still remain experimental in that they are the first ships designed to employ warp-5-engines and perform long-term exploratory missions.

In later centuries (in-universe) they used NX-prefixes to again denote experimental vessels or to honor the NX-Class. Both of these can be true at different times
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Elvira
Vice Admiral

^^^ Perhaps "NX" refers to a type of engine design, and not to a type os ship design.

Of course we not really sure exactly what "NCC" is either.

Old June 13 2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Mario de Monti
Captain

Among the proposed explanations for NCC like "Naval Construction Contract" or "Naval Commisioned Craft" I prefer "Naval Contact Code" because it is just that: a code, which is being used to contact a specific vessel. If one accepts this supposition, then NX could simply stand for "Naval eXperiment".
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:27 PM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Perhaps "NX" refers to a type of engine design, and not to a type os ship design.
Well, the NX-class was the culmination of the initial NX Program. NX-Alpha, NX-Beta, and NX-Delta were supposedly all equipped with rudimentary versions of the Warp Five engine, with each one pushing the envelope towards warp five further than the last.
Old June 21 2013, 02:29 AM   #22
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Well to me it seems pretty obvious, that the "NX" denotes some kind of experimental vessel: In First Flight there are the NX-Alpha and NX-Beta which clearly are experimental craft, analogous to Earth´s (real) X-planes. We don´t know how many (if any) followed after these two, but at some point Starfleet decided they had done enough testing and built the first "true" starship. Since it concluded this NX test series, they simply kept the NX-designation and added the numbers instead of the greek letters. And even though more than one NX-starship was built and they are comprising the "NX-class", they still remain experimental in that they are the first ships designed to employ warp-5-engines and perform long-term exploratory missions.

In later centuries (in-universe) they used NX-prefixes to again denote experimental vessels or to honor the NX-Class. Both of these can be true at different times
Yeah. My theory too.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #23
MConrads
Cadet

How about that:

The "N" stands for naval and the "X" for the Roman number 10. That would make the NX-class the 10th naval starship class since the founding of United Earth's Starfleet.

Regards.
MConrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 02:41 PM   #24
Mario de Monti
Captain

MConrads wrote: View Post
How about that:

The "N" stands for naval and the "X" for the Roman number 10. That would make the NX-class the 10th naval starship class since the founding of United Earth's Starfleet.
Interesting idea. That would mean however, that every class of starship would have its own Nsomething designation. But most vessels have the NCC, which would make all of them members of Starfleet´s 200th starship class
Old July 4 2013, 07:33 PM   #25
MConrads
Cadet

Yea, I meant it for United Earth's Starfleet only. Once the UPF Starfleet was formed that rule did no longer apply.

Regards.
MConrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Mario de Monti
Captain

Ah, ok. Would be interesting to know what registries the other Starfleet vessels of that time period (the ones briefly seen in The Expanse) had in-universe. AFAIK they didn´t put any registry numbers on the CGI models of these ships.

Mario
Old July 7 2013, 10:53 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

X standing for eXperimental is nice speculation - but IMHO it's even more natural to speculate that it stands for eXploration.

After all, Archer's ship was indicated to be Starfleet's first ship designed for deep space exploration. (Not much point building exploration vessels if they don't have engines capable of moving them outside already explored space! And "already explored space" would have expanded by a leap when Earthlings "allied" themselves with Vulcan; most of it would simply be space explored by Vulcans, too far out to be reached by humans until Henry Archer's superengine came about.) And in naval tradition, the letters before the number specify ship type, that is, the ship's intended mission, rather than its class or model.

So, NX-01 is the first-ever Starfleet eXploration vessel, and belongs to the Enterprise class. Since there are not other eXploration vessels in existence, everybody can also refer to this as the NX class (just like everybody could call the Ticonderoga class the AEGIS class, and did, until other designs also got equipped with AEGIS). At some point, further exploration ship classes are no doubt designed, and it would become confusing to refer to all of them as "the NX class", so Starfleet (and later UFP Starfleet) reverts to speaking of the Enterprise class and its successors...

...Thereby perhaps explaining why the UFP Starfleet never has seen it fit to build an Enterprise class of starships. The name has already been used up!

Why the pennant letters would cease to specify ship type at that point, and would start only denoting the ship's operating organization (NCC=Starfleet ship), we don't know yet. But apparently the model switches from "Earth naval" to "Earth aeronautical", where the letter prefix indeed indicates nationality.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:54 AM   #28
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Early ships seemed to use mostly letter designations for class. For example, we have freighter classes like DY, Y, J, etc. And of course NX. In this time frame NX is just a class name, it has nothing to do with whether a ship is experimental or not.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Mario de Monti
Captain

@ Timo
@ Mr. Laser Beam

If the "X" does indeed NOT stand for "eXperimental" but for something the two of you suggest, then how do you explain the NX-Alpha and NX-Beta from First Flight?
(See my post #18 in this thread.)
Old July 8 2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Mage
Commodore

For those who care about the novels....

Rise Of The Federation: A Choice Of Futures was released two weeks ago, and one of the ships is the Endevaour, commanded by T'Pol. She used to be NX-06, but after her refit into the design Doug Drexler made for a refit NX-class, she was re-christened NCC-06, and the class was called Columbia-class, in honour of the Columbia NX-02.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Endeavour_(NX-06)