Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 7 2013, 01:39 AM   #16
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: What the deal with the Spock being betroved

I always figured that the arranged marriage thing was just a way to insure that young Vulcans do not die due to Pon Farr. Sort of like if neither has another way to "release," they are married together.

So in TOS, had Spock been boinking Uhura, he'd have just done that and informed T'Pring he is in a relationship leaving T'Pring free to marry Stonn when her/his Ponn Farr starts up.

But who knows? Vulcan mating practices are still not very transparent 46 years after being introduced.

(BTW I do not consider the comics/novels canon)
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Cake
Lieutenant

T'Ryl wrote: View Post
Forgive me if this was discussed before.

Are we supposed to pretend that never happened even though the only one presumably effected by Nero's presence right off the bat was James T. Kirk, who last his father and a positive male role model. I mean in TOS we are told that Spock & T'Pring were bonded at the age of 7. So I would have to assume at least that much would still happen.

I hope that the betrothal bond was severed by T'Pring death on Vulcan. But still, to publicly kiss Uhura, it would have to mean, to me that they had given prior signs of public displays of affection. That thought leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because Spock is supposed to be all logical. Other thoughts?
Maybe he thinks cheating is logical.

Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

1. He kicked T'Pring to the curb long ago

2. She died with Vulcan and Spock and Uhura didn't get serious until after that

3. When undergoing kolinahr Spock was automatically divorced

4. We'll see of she is still around in the 'After Darkness...' comic
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Gov Kodos
Admiral

She'll be the villain of the next movie 'The Search for Spock'.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
That has not yet been made clear.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

what I don't understand in these discussions is why it's considered weird or impossible for Spock to choose to be with Uhura, assuming he was betrothed to some vulcan lady like any vulcan kid would, when really canon has already proved that sometimes vulcans ditch the whole betrothal thing in favor of choosing someonelse.
I mean, hello T'Pring herself ditched Spock for Stonn and consequently Stonn, a full blooded vulcan unlike Spock, chose to be with a woman that was promised to another vulcan and I don't remember that it was considered scandalous or unvulcan.
Why you act like this is somehow forbidden in their society? It's not.

Probably even if Spock was betrothed maybe it was a no issue for him because he did think he'd get spared of the whole pon farr thing so maybe he simply believed that when the time was right he could delete the contract that his parents had made when he was a kid and make Uhura his bondmate with the vulcan equivalent of a wedding.

Honestly, I think that the whole betrothal thing serves the purpose to have a backup plan for pon farr in case people hadn't found a partner on their own.
From this perspective it makes sense, in a way, and it doesn't go against IDIC and free will because they aways have the option to undo these programmed unions and choose who they want.
Old June 7 2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Franklin
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That might be a fun subplot for the next movie, and another fun way to bring Leonard Nimoy back.

Young Spock goes through Pon Farr.
No. Spock Prime goes through Pon Farr. You bring Nimoy back in a scene where Spock really needs to talk with him again. Spock Prime answers the hail and appears on screen in bed next to T'Pring, who is caressing his chest with one hand and running her fingers through his hair with the other. "You recognize her?" Spock Prime says to Spock as she kisses him on the cheek. "See, I told you there were advantages to there being two of us."
Old June 7 2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Yeoman Basha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

For me, it has nothing to do with what may or may not technically be forbidden about Spock and T'Pring's betrothal. It is all about CHARACTER -- more specifically, character consistency. The Spock I saw in TOS would never in a million years have kicked T'Pring to the curb or just blatantly disregarded what was obviously a very serious Vulcan commitment.

Remember, when T'Pring wanted out of the relationship she told Spock: "By the laws of our people, I could only divorce you by the kalifee" -- a contest where two men are obligated to fight to the death! So if the woman wants out of the relationship, she has to basically kill a man. So I don't believe for one moment this betrothal was supposed to be some sort of "back-up plan" that either party can easily disregard if they feel like it. It's a very serious commitment and IMO it is grossly out of character for Spock to completely disregard it. I know this is a different timeline but BEFORE the destruction of Vulcan I see nothing that would have altered Spock's character so dramatically.
Yeoman Basha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:19 PM   #24
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

but TOS Spock DID disregard it. Hello: Leila Kalomi?
He didn't seem to care so much about T'pring honestly, only reminded of her when he got "sick" and needed her. She wasn't innocent but she wasn't all to blame either, I have to say.

still, we don't know if this Spock is still betrothed to anyone so let's wait for when this plot is developed a bit.
Old June 8 2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Yeoman Basha wrote: View Post
For me, it has nothing to do with what may or may not technically be forbidden about Spock and T'Pring's betrothal. It is all about CHARACTER -- more specifically, character consistency. The Spock I saw in TOS would never in a million years have kicked T'Pring to the curb or just blatantly disregarded what was obviously a very serious Vulcan commitment.
Consider this: Dorothy C Fontana was the overseer of most of TOS Vulcanology during the making of TOS. In 1989, she wrote a ST novel called "Vulcan's Glory", set in the Pike era and she has Spock (pre-"Amok Time") in a romantic connection with a Vulcan crewmember, T'Pris.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vu...ry_%28novel%29

Before he gets to know T'Pris...

From the Memory Beta synopsis:

"After coming to an agreement with his father, Spock goes to visit T’Pring, where she expresses her own dissatisfaction with their arrangement. Only after Spock agrees to make a formal announcement of their marriage and pay a bride price to her family for the duration of their 'engagement' is T’Pring satisfied (along with her secret lover, Stonn)."
If it's okay with DC Fontana, who are we to argue?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 04:56 AM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Malaika wrote: View Post
but TOS Spock DID disregard it. Hello: Leila Kalomi?
He didn't seem to care so much about T'pring honestly, only reminded of her when he got "sick" and needed her. She wasn't innocent but she wasn't all to blame either, I have to say.

still, we don't know if this Spock is still betrothed to anyone so let's wait for when this plot is developed a bit.
He didn't care about T'Pring and T'Pol had no interest at all in her betrothed. While many must just marry who they got paired with it seems social expectations don't always match reality.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote