Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 9 2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Question about laptops

We only have laptops (a total of 4 in the house). I always have mine plugged into the powerpoint as I only use it at home meaning the battery is always at 100% (except in the case of a power outage). My two youngest sons do the same. I do turn the computer off at night.

My eldest son was visiting and I notice that when he had charged his laptop to 100% he unplugged it. He says he always did this as it means the battery lasts longer. We had a discussion about this.

Does anyone know which is the best practice?

Also can people tell me if they leave their own laptop plugged in or not when they are at home?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Third Nacelle
Captain

Re: Question about laptops

Your son is correct, you shouldn't leave your laptop plugged in when it's 100% as it wears the battery out sooner, however a lot of newer laptops have a feature that turns off charging when the battery is full even if you leave it plugged in.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

My understanding is the same as Third Nacelle's. I think this goes for anything that has a rechargeable battery. If it is older, then leaving it plugged in means that the battery is constantly recharging, wearing it out, but for newer electronics/appliances it is smart enough to switch off the power source from the wall when the battery is done charging. So basically, you and your son are both right!

As for my own practice, I don't have a consistent habit with this. Sometimes I leave my laptop plugged in for days (even when it is turned off), and other times I will leave it unplugged until the battery dies.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I have an option to stop the battery from charging until the next time the computer reboots. Should I be using this option?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Most electronics these days (at least Apple gear, such as iOS devices and MacBooks) will not be harmed if you leave them plugged in all the time. It doesn't wear them out to be constantly recharging.

It will wear them out MORE if you drain the battery down to the bone and then do a full recharge every time. Constantly draining the battery to zero and then going to a full recharge, is more of a strain on the battery than using it and then plugging it back in every night (one HUGE charge is more detrimental than a lot of little charges).
Old June 9 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

Is that so? The Apple website suggests keeping the electrons moving and even recommends letting the battery run down at least once a month and giving it a full charge.
Old June 9 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Maybe once a month, yeah, but you don't need to do that every single time.
Old June 9 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

Oh ok, I see.
Old June 9 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I've tended to let mine go down to about 50% between recharges, and the battery's lasted pretty well for several years so far.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I recharge my iPhone every night (mainly because I also use it as a clock), and its battery has never given me a problem, even after a year and a half.
Old June 9 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I recharge my iPhone every night (mainly because I also use it as a clock), and its battery has never given me a problem, even after a year and a half.
Because the iPhone stops after it has been recharged, not being an energy vampire and all.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Snaploud
Admiral

I just leave the laptop permanently attached to the power cord and accept the fact that the battery will have to be replaced once before the life of the laptop comes to an end. It definitely reduces the time a battery will stay charged when not connected to the outlet, but I don't usually have a need for the laptop to be cordless.

Honestly, it's just not worth it enough for to me to be constantly checking the power level.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

Mine is plugged in most of the time but it auto shuts off when fully charged.

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 08:32 PM   #14
RobertVA
Fleet Captain

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Because the iPhone stops after it has been recharged, not being an energy vampire and all.
Perhaps the charging circuit in the phone turns off, but is the charger also designed to cut off? That would probably require some digital circuitry in the charger that the phone could direct through the cable. If such is the case, there would then be complications about how the phone would activate the charger if the user allowed the battery to completely discharge.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Gary7
Rear Admiral

A lot of this comes down to battery chemistry. In the case of laptops, the battery packs contain individual cluster pairs of 18650 lithium battery cells. For some time now, laptops have had built-in battery management. When fully charged, the battery will receive a slight "trickle" charge to keep it topped off. Lithium batteries work best when kept fully charged, except in the case of storing them (where they somehow do better when down to like 75~80%).

What wears batteries down the most is being frequently fully discharged, or allowed to sit at low charges for long periods. The next thing is simply time. Once a battery cell is manufactured, it starts on a path of gradual decay. The cells will eventually wear down, even when not used (some batteries will decay faster than others when not used). There's still some controversy as to how helpful periodically doing a nearly complete discharge is, but generally speaking it doesn't hurt to flex the battery chemistry. I think it's a good idea to do it once every couple of months minimum.

Generally speaking a laptop battery pack will usually be down to 50% of original capacity after about 3 years, depending upon how it was used and environmental circumstances (this will also vary by battery pack type, as some have more cells than others). Don't forget to dispose of them properly, as the cells contain large amounts of lithium. Do not throw in the trash!