RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 501
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 4 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Jono
Rear Admiral

Homeworld is back with Hardware...I mean, Homeworld: Shipbreakers

In the last couple of days news has surfaced that there is going to be a new game in this popular RTS franchise and that game is Homeworld: Shipbreakers.

It seems Gearbox has licensed the name to Blackbird Interactive, who were developing a game called Hardware: Shipbreakers. BBI seems to have a number of people who worked on the Homeworld series and their videos for their game definitely shows it.

Here is their teaser for their original titled game:

Not much in the way of details, but it was being built as a F2P RTS. Now, that isn't exactly what I wanted to hear coupled with "new Homeworld game", but at least after so many years of rumoured new Homeworld games it looks like finally the fans of the series will get what they wanted.

Also, I missed the Gearbox announcement nearly 2 months ago that they are working on HD versions of 1 and 2 (nothing on Cataclysm). Don't think there are any set release dates for these new versions yet.

I was on the fence about Gearbox getting the franchise after THQ went bust, but I've got to say at least they are doing something with it. Now crossing my fingers and hoping Interplay will be announcing they are going to do something with the IP they got off THQ as well.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Homeworld is back with Hardware...I mean, Homeworld: Shipbreakers

I don't know. In recent years, Gearbox hasn't exactly had a great track record when it comes to their handling of someone else's IP. Plus this looks like it'll be a traditional planet bound RTS, which to me spells "Homeworld in name only."

As far as the HD versions go; as I understand it they legally can't do anything with Cataclysm as it was originally developed by a third party. No big deal IMO. While I thought it was OK, it always had a certain apocryphal feel next to the other two games.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Been following this, got my fingers crossed!

Reverend wrote: View Post
I don't know. In recent years, Gearbox hasn't exactly had a great track record when it comes to their handling of someone else's IP. Plus this looks like it'll be a traditional planet bound RTS, which to me spells "Homeworld in name only."
It's early days, but its certainly got the feel of Homeworld. And Gearbox, if what they're saying remains true, is taking a hands off approach and just letting Blackbird do their thing with Shipbreakers so who knows.

As far as the HD versions go; as I understand it they legally can't do anything with Cataclysm as it was originally developed by a third party. No big deal IMO. While I thought it was OK, it always had a certain apocryphal feel next to the other two games.
I don't know, that's kind of how I felt about Homeworld 2. It took a lot of liberties with what had happened before. Not a bad game, but it felt more like what someone thought a HW game should be rather than a HW game.
Old September 4 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Exactly.. i got excited to be able to play a state of the art Homeworld but that vanished when it became clear it would be a standard, surface bound RTS set in the Homeworld universe.

Might still be a good game but it ain't Homeworld.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, count me out for a Homeworld game that doesn't involve fleets of ships in space. The entire appeal of that series, for me, revolves around the vast emptiness, the impossible journey, and the desperation with which you guide your vulnerable fleet through threat after threat. I've never played a surface-based RTS that gave me anywhere near the same experience.
Old September 5 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Sounds like they're doing what they can with it - making it a space-based game would eat up time and resources to develop it all from scratch. Shipbreakers has the art direction and much of the mood of Homeworld already in place (it even does the same bass drop noise when you switch to the map view) and it's a partly- or mostly-done game. It's a logical decision, and... I'm okay with it. Wouldn't be the first time a game franchise has made a drastic shift, though I would prefer a space-based Homeworld like the rest of you guys.

Hopefully it doesn't have HW2's Kobayashi Maru-esque penchant for arbitrarily pulling impossible odds out of nowhere.
Old September 5 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Jono
Rear Admiral

I'm interested in seeing how they tie it in. HW2 background stuff presented a pretty interesting universe and it would be nice to see more of it.

Hopefully this game does reasonably well and that the HD release also do well. Nothing like a bit of financial success to get TPTB to produce a new traditional HW game.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote