Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 5 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

The Last of Us

This PS3 exclusive is due on Jun 14 and I can hardly wait. It's a post apocalyptic world where the cordyceps fungus has adapted to effect humans and it basically results in the collapse of society. Uninfected humans set up these safe zones across what's left of the United States without any passage between them. Your character is Joel, a grizzled middle aged man who is contracted to move a young girl named Ellie from one safe zone to another.

I guess the Embargo was lifted today because about 50 reviews have hit the web today... Most of them are 10 out of 10 or it's equivelent. Right now, this game is on pace to be the highest review game of 2013 so far, the second highest being Bioshock Infinite.

If you happen to have a copy of God of War Ascension laying around, you can download a 10-15 minute demo... I've played it about 8 times already.

Here's IGN.com's review:

You guessed it. 10 out of 10.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...t-of-us-review
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: The Last of Us

I've had my eye on this one since it was first announced and will almost certainly pick it up at some point...just not for the £38 price that Amazon are currently charging. I can wait for the GotY edition.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

I can't wait! It looks awesome!
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:03 AM   #4
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Wow! 57 reviews and its at 96 on Metacritic. 28 perfect scores among them! It looks like my hopes are sustained!! I'll get this in day one.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...critic-reviews
Old June 8 2013, 05:23 AM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

I like what I'm hearing. I've been really wanting a new game to play.
Old June 15 2013, 02:18 AM   #6
JD
Admiral

I picked the game up from one of my local Redboxes this morning, and it definitely deserves all of those 100s. It is in-fucking-credible. It is easily one of the most well written, acted and performed video games I have ever played. The game play is great too. My main problem is I tend to get stuck in a blast away every enemy as you see them mentality when it comes to these kinds of games, and that pretty much gets you killed in this one. Taking your time and carefully picking off you enemies 1 by 1 definitely works best in this one.
Old June 15 2013, 03:14 AM   #7
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

I made a mistake. I dropped my son off at the midnight showing of Man of Steel last night. I figured that I might as well stop by GameStop and pick up my Survival Edition of The Last Of Us since they were having a midnight sale. I intended to go to bed so I could go to work in the morning, come home and get started on the campaign when I got home from work.... Well... I decided to at least install the DLC and online pass before bed and... The next thing I knew, I was in the Capital Building with Joel, Ellie and Tess when my alarm clock went off. I'd pulled an inadvertent all nighter with The Last of Us.

It is by far the most immersive game I've ever played in my entire life. The sights and sounds suck you in to this world so fast and so deeply. Definite GOTY contender.

I'm going to go get some sleep now.
Old June 15 2013, 05:46 AM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

JD wrote: View Post
My main problem is I tend to get stuck in a blast away every enemy as you see them mentality when it comes to these kinds of games, and that pretty much gets you killed in this one. Taking your time and carefully picking off you enemies 1 by 1 definitely works best in this one.
This is my problem as well. I'm not a huge gamer, so I'm not big on "strategy." I see bad guys, and I just want to shoot all of them right away.

Stealth? What stealth?
Old June 15 2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've just completed my first full (mostly non-lethal) playthrough of Deus Ex HR, so I'm in just the right mindset for this game methinks.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:53 PM   #10
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

You know... If this were a movie, it would be the best movie this year thus far. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, the voice actors in this game are phenomenal actors. Still plugging away. About 6 hours in right now. I'm trying to explore every corner of this world as much as I can.
Old June 15 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

I played for about 7-8 hours yesterday, which I haven't done with a game since "Arkham Asylum" came out. This game is great, and the world is so detailed. I actually find myself enjoying some of the quieter parts of the story because it gives me a chance to just look around and take in the scenery.

My one complaint so far has to do with the weapon selection. In most games I've played, when you run out of ammo in a gun, it automatically switches to the next available weapon in your arsenal. In this game, if you run out of ammo, you have to manually go in a switch to a different weapon. This pause has resulted in me dying more than once. It just really interrupts my flow, but it's a minor complaint, and it's certainly not ruining the game for me.

My roommate asked me what this game was like, and I told him it's like a mix of "Uncharted," "The Walking Dead," and "Children of Men." His response was, "That sounds awesome!"
Old June 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Jax
Admiral

My roommate asked me what this game was like, and I told him it's like a mix of "Uncharted," "The Walking Dead," and "Children of Men." His response was, "That sounds awesome!"
My gaming been light recently, unable to play a game for too long but Last of Us has kept me and brought be back without too much of a break though I feel it will fall short of joining my 9 out of 10 club (highest review I've ever given a game) but still a cracking adventure so far.
Old June 15 2013, 09:43 PM   #13
JD
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I played for about 7-8 hours yesterday, which I haven't done with a game since "Arkham Asylum" came out. This game is great, and the world is so detailed. I actually find myself enjoying some of the quieter parts of the story because it gives me a chance to just look around and take in the scenery.

My one complaint so far has to do with the weapon selection. In most games I've played, when you run out of ammo in a gun, it automatically switches to the next available weapon in your arsenal. In this game, if you run out of ammo, you have to manually go in a switch to a different weapon. This pause has resulted in me dying more than once. It just really interrupts my flow, but it's a minor complaint, and it's certainly not ruining the game for me.

I kind of like that they make you switch weapons like that, and that ammo is fairly rare. It really makes the whole thing feel more realistic, and makes the fights a lot more nerve racking.
And on another note, my PS3 seems to have stopped working, so it looks like I might now be able to finish the game. I would replace it, but I've been thinking about getting a PS4 when they come out, and if I replace my PS3 then I can't do that.
It's unplugged now, and I was going to leave it until the morning and see if that fixes the problem. I really don't want to lose everything I have on the system.
EDIT: I meant to tell you guys the problem in case someone had an idea how to fix it.
Every time I turn the system on all the lights come on and it starts making internal noises, but all I get is a black screen. I checked all of the connections and that video mode on my TV and that stuff is all fine, so whatever it is the problem appears to be with the system. I've been having problems with off and on for a few months now.
Old June 15 2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Jax
Admiral

I kind of like that they make you switch weapons like that, and that ammo is fairly rare. It really makes the whole thing feel more realistic,
Its a little unrealistic that Joel never goes through their pockets or guns
Old June 16 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
The Johnson
Ensign

JD wrote: View Post
EDIT: I meant to tell you guys the problem in case someone had an idea how to fix it.
Every time I turn the system on all the lights come on and it starts making internal noises, but all I get is a black screen. I checked all of the connections and that video mode on my TV and that stuff is all fine, so whatever it is the problem appears to be with the system. I've been having problems with off and on for a few months now.
Give it a light kick and swear at it.
The Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote