RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 450
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 6 2013, 09:35 AM   #31
Devon
Fleet Captain

Re: '300 years ago' , in this film's context, was the 1950s!

Maxillius wrote: View Post
There are some radio shows that allege that perhaps the Eugenics wars are actually being waged now, the conflict just hasn't come to fighting yet.
So you listen to Coast-To-Coast?
Old June 6 2013, 11:59 AM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Remember also that when Kirk said to Khan that he'd been sleeping 200 years in "Space Seed", the Trek timeline hasn't been set in stone. "The Squire of Gothos" suggests that TOS is set around 700 years into the future.
Old June 7 2013, 03:37 AM   #33
USS Excelsior
Commodore

We didn't see the Voyager crew caught up in the Eugenics Wars in Future's End.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 03:49 AM   #34
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ That's because the US wasn't involved in those wars.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 04:52 AM   #35
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
We didn't see the Voyager crew caught up in the Eugenics Wars in Future's End.
How is it that I'm managing to sit here in Southern California in peace and comfort and type at this computer while my country is currently involved in a land war in Central Asia?

While there were moments where the realities of the war and its effect on people were brought home to the citizens of Los Angeles during WWII (Battle of Los Angeles, blackouts, Zoot Suit Riots, Japanese-American Internment, etc.), most days life went on fairly normally despite a war far deadlier than the Eugenics Wars raging around the globe. There were fewer young men on the streets and more women in the workforce, and they were producing a lot more military hardware and rationing more, but for the most part they still got up, got dressed, sent their kids to school, and commuted to work like they would in peacetime. While there were lots of changes, you can also find numerous photos of Los Angeles and other cities where the fighting wasn't directly happening during WWII that look no different from the same cities during peacetime.

Plus, it was 1996, the year the war ended. Rain Robinson had a model of the Botany Bay on her desk. That could point to the war ending earlier in the year when Khan escaped and the city actually being at peace.

However, IIRC, Greg Cox did incorporate some of the militia stuff from Future's End into the narrative of the Eugenics Wars, so if you're inclined to take that as part of the history of the wars, the Voyager crew were caught up in it a bit.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 04:02 PM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ That's because the US wasn't involved in those wars.
Archer's grandfather was.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:12 AM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ The person, yes. The country, no. Just because Archer's granddaddy was from the US (assuming he actually was, which is not certain by any means), doesn't have anything to do with where the actual fighting was.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:16 AM   #38
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ The person, yes. The country, no. Just because Archer's granddaddy was from the US (assuming he actually was, which is not certain by any means), doesn't have anything to do with where the actual fighting was.
I think you've read enough history and current events to know that the fighting doesn't have to take place in the combatants' home countries.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote