Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

What do you all think of the new visual for the Warp Core. First, it's outside appearance (looks like a modern day experimental laser induced fusion generator). Then there is the inside view, which looks like, I dunno, electricity flowing between two conduits.

This deviates quite a bit from the good old vertical warp core, with pulsing lights of future ships. Now of course in TOS, we never really saw the warp core from this perspective, and many theories exist how that might have looked like.

So, do you like this new design?

Personally, I see where they are going here, trying to give it a more realistic feel. From the outside, I can see that looking like what you might think of as a power core. On the inside, it looks futuristic.

My theory is that what we were seeing on the inside was the Dilithium Chamber itself, it's just bigger here cause it isn't as advanced. The chamber must be so big in this period you can go inside it, and the two nodes were holding Dilithium Crystals, and the power flowed between them. Though, I don't know where the reaction takes place.

At least I'm glad they are back to just one warp core, and not multiple cores, I never liked the multiple core idea.

Thoughts?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Brent wrote: View Post
What do you all think of the new visual for the Warp Core. First, it's outside appearance (looks like a modern day experimental laser induced fusion generator).
You're not far off. In fact, it was shot on location at the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore Labs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The warp core was just an astonishing improvement not only over oldTrek designs but of course over the improvised Engineering spaces in the first Abrams Trek movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I liked engineering better in this film a little bit better than the last film. The CORE reminded me of the Death Star reactor where it had the two halves with the beam of energy between them..lol

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Yep I liked it more realistic looks like it could work much better than some constructed set with flashing light going up and down on it. I have to say I've always liked the TMP engine room, but I really do like the engineering set.
Old May 17 2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The others were pretty but, like so much of oldTrek, don't actually look real. This does (presumably because much of it is).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I really like both the old tube of blue glowiness, as well as the newer "giant spark plug" look.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I think the worst engine room set was TNG. It was like they placed it at the end of a hallway.

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The warp core was just an astonishing improvement not only over oldTrek designs but of course over the improvised Engineering spaces in the first Abrams Trek movie.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:15 PM   #10
MickJo1701
Commander

It was a vast improvement over what we saw in ST09 but wont knock the Enterprise E engineering set off its perch as my favourite.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

This. It's the best interpretation I've ever seen of a warp reactor.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:40 PM   #12
throwback
Captain

I'm in the minority here. I don't like it. I feel that it is reflective of something that might have been passable in a low-budget film. I feel that the engine cores in the classic Trek were far more believable, mainly, because, there was thought put into the design. What we saw in the series was the reaction chamber which was part of a larger engineering system. And, if I remember rightly, Kirk had to climb his way up to the connection point, because there were no stairways and no catwalks. And, when he got there, he literally had to kick one of the connection points into place. Really? And where was the dilithium crystal to modulate the reaction? I didn't see one.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

throwback wrote: View Post
I'm in the minority here. I don't like it. I feel that it is reflective of something that might have been passable in a low-budget film. I feel that the engine cores in the classic Trek were far more believable, mainly, because, there was thought put into the design. What we saw in the series was the reaction chamber which was part of a larger engineering system. And, if I remember rightly, Kirk had to climb his way up to the connection point, because there were no stairways and no catwalks. And, when he got there, he literally had to kick one of the connection points into place. Really? And where was the dilithium crystal to modulate the reaction? I didn't see one.
The bluish-glowing tips of the two halves appeared to be some kind of crystal-like material to me.

Personally, they could have made the chamber a bit smaller for my tastes and rational, but I'm not going to dwell on production decisions, it was effective for what they were attempting to convey in the scene.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

I will always like TOS and Shatner movies Warp Cores, however I accept the new JJ era too.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Johnny
Commander

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
This. It's the best interpretation I've ever seen of a warp reactor.
I can't stand the thing, looks like it could pour a hell of a coffee though.