Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 4 2013, 03:18 AM   #76
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Big Brother

Danny99 wrote: View Post
I know plenty of gay men that don't fit into the stereotype that Big Brother has been into.
So do I. That doesn't mean gay men should be considered 'Not normal' for having any characteristics that meet that stereotype. This is how stereotype anxiety happens.

There have been far more unlikable casts than this one. I will list them all.

Season 5: It started out with the 'Four horsemen' alliance then the completely unbearable twins.

Season 6: The Friendship Five was the least likable alliance in BB history, and they WON.

Season 8: Dick was the least unlikable person in the house. Think about that for a moment. A truly detestable human being was less objectionable than the other alliance.

Season 9: I didn't get past the first episode in the writer's strike season, that's how bad it was.

Season 11: This is probably the least likable cast in BB history. It introduced us to Jesse and the athletic clique, it introduced the douche/airhead-mance of Jeff/Jordan that polluted two seasons of Big Brother AND Amazing Race (And Jeff made homophobic comments worse than anything Aaryn said). Then Ronnie, the guy so nerdy you just wanted him to be likable, turned out to be a raging asshole who treated Michelle like shit for no reason at all. And EVERY SINGLE PERSON went into the diary room and said they were morally better than everybody else in the house and thus deserved to win.

Season 12: Another season where everybody treated everybody else like shit all the time. The Brigade was completely unlikable and they were the only ones actually playing the game that season. They all had that morally superior attitude in the diary room and most of the cast were spoiled brats.

Season 13: The fans had the opportunity to put Will and Mike in the house and put in Dick, Brendon, Rachel, Jeff and Jordan. Again, didn't make it past the first episode.

So out of 15th seasons, this group is the 8th most likable. Okay, that's a statement to the generally shitty job they do with casting. But at least this year nobody is saying "EVERYBODY WHO IS TRYIGN TO WIN THE GAME AND ISN'T ME IS AN EVIL HORRIBLE PERSON."
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 05:31 PM   #77
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
I know plenty of gay men that don't fit into the stereotype that Big Brother has been into.
So do I. That doesn't mean gay men should be considered 'Not normal' for having any characteristics that meet that stereotype. This is how stereotype anxiety happens.

There have been far more unlikable casts than this one. I will list them all.

Season 5: It started out with the 'Four horsemen' alliance then the completely unbearable twins.

Season 6: The Friendship Five was the least likable alliance in BB history, and they WON.

Season 8: Dick was the least unlikable person in the house. Think about that for a moment. A truly detestable human being was less objectionable than the other alliance.

Season 9: I didn't get past the first episode in the writer's strike season, that's how bad it was.

Season 11: This is probably the least likable cast in BB history. It introduced us to Jesse and the athletic clique, it introduced the douche/airhead-mance of Jeff/Jordan that polluted two seasons of Big Brother AND Amazing Race (And Jeff made homophobic comments worse than anything Aaryn said). Then Ronnie, the guy so nerdy you just wanted him to be likable, turned out to be a raging asshole who treated Michelle like shit for no reason at all. And EVERY SINGLE PERSON went into the diary room and said they were morally better than everybody else in the house and thus deserved to win.

Season 12: Another season where everybody treated everybody else like shit all the time. The Brigade was completely unlikable and they were the only ones actually playing the game that season. They all had that morally superior attitude in the diary room and most of the cast were spoiled brats.

Season 13: The fans had the opportunity to put Will and Mike in the house and put in Dick, Brendon, Rachel, Jeff and Jordan. Again, didn't make it past the first episode.

So out of 15th seasons, this group is the 8th most likable. Okay, that's a statement to the generally shitty job they do with casting. But at least this year nobody is saying "EVERYBODY WHO IS TRYIGN TO WIN THE GAME AND ISN'T ME IS AN EVIL HORRIBLE PERSON."
But that's exactly what they've been saying this season. Not as much in the DR sessions or what's been shown in the episodes on TV, but on the feeds groups of HGs will literally sit together for hours bashing someone. The things that Aaryn and Amanda have said are the worst, especially with Candice probably going home this week they still sit there talking about how much they hate her, how evil she is, how much she doesn't deserve to be here, and making more racial comments. Amanda has even gotten in trouble in DR for making death threats against her. I know this sort of personal revenge isn't unusual for BB, and that there have been unlikable people on BB before, but as a whole I think this is the worst cast. At least in other seasons with assholes in them, you have someone positive to root for. There's really really slim pickings this year in terms of anyone to root for. Honestly, once Judd is gone I don't think I will watch feeds anymore. As it is now I basically follow him on feeds because it's unbearable to listen to any of these other jerks talk.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 12:33 AM   #78
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
At least in other seasons with assholes in them, you have someone positive to root for. There's really really slim pickings this year in terms of anyone to root for. Honestly, once Judd is gone I don't think I will watch feeds anymore. As it is now I basically follow him on feeds because it's unbearable to listen to any of these other jerks talk.
Are McRae and Andy involved in the bashing? I don't see why either of them don't get included on the 'likable' list... are you making McRae guilty by association with Amanda?

I suppose season 5 had a few good people, season 6 had Kaysar & Janelle, but most of the seasons I listed didn't have anybody at all positive to root for. Seasons 8, 11, and 12 in particular didn't have a likable one in the cast. Or if they did, they were either bigger gay stereotypes than Andy or were terrible at the game. Even season 10 which I left off the list only had two likable people who just happened to be the final two.

The only times BB has actually done a good job with casting are seasons 2, 3, 7 and 14.
Old August 5 2013, 01:26 AM   #79
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Did Ginamarie just say "Candice needs to go back to Candeeland"?!

Was she making a pun on Candice's name and hasn't seen the movie Django Unchained or is she really saying what it sounds like she's saying?!
Old August 8 2013, 02:39 AM   #80
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

So that's why Amanda is getting nominated consecutively by America.

Tonight's episode was a very ugly revelation (for those of us just watching the prime time shows).
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 05:20 AM   #81
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
At least in other seasons with assholes in them, you have someone positive to root for. There's really really slim pickings this year in terms of anyone to root for. Honestly, once Judd is gone I don't think I will watch feeds anymore. As it is now I basically follow him on feeds because it's unbearable to listen to any of these other jerks talk.
Are McRae and Andy involved in the bashing? I don't see why either of them don't get included on the 'likable' list... are you making McRae guilty by association with Amanda?

I suppose season 5 had a few good people, season 6 had Kaysar & Janelle, but most of the seasons I listed didn't have anybody at all positive to root for. Seasons 8, 11, and 12 in particular didn't have a likable one in the cast. Or if they did, they were either bigger gay stereotypes than Andy or were terrible at the game. Even season 10 which I left off the list only had two likable people who just happened to be the final two.

The only times BB has actually done a good job with casting are seasons 2, 3, 7 and 14.
McCrae is kind of a non-entity right now. He doesn't really say much (which is working in his favor), and mostly lays around in bed sleeping all day. So honestly I don't really even remember he's there most of the time.

As I've already said, I do like Andy. No, he's not involved in the bashing. And I actually have never thought that Andy follows the typical "gay stereotype," I think that he differs from it in many ways.

I think the difference for me with Judd is that he is more relatable. That's really what I meant when I called him normal. He is a nice guy who is more down to earth than many of the other contestants who got cast because they want to be models or actors. Andy is relatable in many ways as well but for me Judd is like the regular guy that I feel most connected to. He is very funny and his sense of humor is very similar to mine.
—T.S. Eliot
Old August 9 2013, 02:34 AM   #82
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Amanda is running the game and is an ugly person, but I was happy to see Candice go. She really never started calling it a "game" until her back was against the wall and she needed to get the votes. I couldn't stand her and I'll enjoy watching the game a little bit more with her gone.
Old August 9 2013, 03:54 AM   #83
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Finally the diabolical schemer known simply as Judd has been expelled from the unanimous utopia of Big Brother. The timid houseguests were able to somehow outwit this wily genius of the game and foment a daring uprising in the span of one meager episode.

Huzzah!

Seriously though, what is going on in that house? Like a collective group mind, they always vote as one with very little deviation. Maybe this is all a huge commercial for that new CBS show, Hostages. "Judd is one of my best friends and closest allies in the game, but -- dammit! -- they have my daughter and said if I don't vote how they want, they'll..." sobs "I vote to evict Judd, Julie."

Am I missing something? Is there a Judd with a goatee that materializes in the house every night and plots against everyone? A Judd that the cameras can't pick up on any monitors? No?

Then that leaves only one conclusion: the house is full of idiots and despicable people -- and the despicable people are telling the idiots what to think. What an absolutely pointless and lousy move by the house tonight.

Judd, on the other hand, was a remarkably good sport about the whole event, showing grace and class toward people and actions that in no way deserved this reaction. His exit from the game is a true shame.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 04:42 AM   #84
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You know, this season started out with over half the cast being decent. Now Nick, Howard, and Judd are all gone and all the racist catty shitheads are still there.

I take it back. This is the fourth worst cast ever, behind only 8, 11, 12.

We still have McRae and Andy. Two tolerable people left.

If we could reset the season only not have a stupid MVP rule we'd still have Nick and Howard, and Elissa and Aryan would be gone.
Old August 10 2013, 07:59 PM   #85
Danny99
Vice Admiral

You know, this season started out with over half the cast being decent. Now Nick, Howard, and Judd are all gone and all the racist catty shitheads are still there.

I take it back. This is the fourth worst cast ever, behind only 8, 11, 12.

We still have McRae and Andy. Two tolerable people left.

If we could reset the season only not have a stupid MVP rule we'd still have Nick and Howard, and Elissa and Aryan would be gone.
I still don't know why they introduced the MVP with Elissa in the season. Rachael still lives, breathes, eats Big Brother, still coasting off her fifteen minutes of fame. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.
Old August 11 2013, 01:57 AM   #86
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^Yeah I don't like that either. I actually think the MVP twist is a very good idea. It just needed to be done without Elissa there and with the stipulation that the same person can't get it two weeks in a row.

And yes, it is hilarious and sad how everyone thought Judd was such a "shady schemer." He's not innocent, but he's a lot less of a schemer than pretty much everyone left in the house. I think there were two things that caused Judd to leave the game.

The first is the MVP twist in the last three weeks, which had everyone convinced that Judd was MVP and was secretly gunning for Amanda, because she couldn't possibly fathom that America would nominate her.

The other thing was a lie that Judd told when he was HOH. He wanted Kaitlin to go that week, so he told Helen that he overheard a conversation in which Kaitlin said she would nominate Helen. This was made up. The next week, he told Amanda and McCrae, two people whom he trusted, that it was a lie. Even though he was honest with them and the move actually benefitted them, Amanda never really seemed to trust Judd again after that. Sort of the "well if he lied about that, what else could he be lying about" mentality. As if all of these people haven't lied every 5 minutes.
—T.S. Eliot
Old August 11 2013, 02:38 AM   #87
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I liked Amanda to start, but she has really taken a turn for the ugly. She has had a hand in every eviction and then when people call her out on it, she gets defensive about it. She is abrasive to the point where even McCrae (who is still having sex with her) is telling her to tone it down.

I'm pretty much down to hoping for a McCrae/Andy final two. I don't mind Spencer either, but the rest of them have grated on my nerves to a point that them winning would make me feel as good as Maggie winning season 6 over Ivette (the definition of choosing the lesser of two evils).
Old August 11 2013, 11:12 PM   #88
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I hated the MVP twist mostly because I hate it when the audience gets to intervene in the course of the game. Every time they do a coup de tat it's even worse. If the MVP twist was going to work they would have had to find a way to determine it besides audience vote.

*sigh* I guess we just need to ride this thing out, then in two months the good reality competition shows will be back. I wonder what Gervase looks like now.
Old August 12 2013, 07:31 PM   #89
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

What do you guys think of Julie's statement that the game isn't over for the jury members? Will one of them be voted back in? Win a competition to come back? Have some power over nominations or the house? A jury member came back in BB Canada and won (we all know Jillian was only the technical winner). A lot of people were upset that a jury member would come back in the game, they felt it was unfair. I actually love it when they bring people back in though, and since Julie warned them all ahead of time about this possibility I feel its more fair.

What I found very telling was in last night's episode when McCrae and Andy were bawling their eyes out over Judd leaving and Amanda just sat there with a smug smile on her face. It's not like she's not a cryer, as we see later when McCrae didn't let her win HOH.
—T.S. Eliot
Old August 14 2013, 12:03 AM   #90
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think it depends on the exact circumstance. It would have pissed me off if Lillian won Survivor 7, but that's largely because she got to come back in with the safest position of the swing vote. But it wouldn't have pissed me off if Amy won BB3 or Kaysar won BB6. Well, Amy would have pissed me off only because she wasn't a good player, not because she came back in.

I think in this case it wouldn't make me mad because so many of the earlier evictions were determined by the BS twist and so many of the intolerable players are still in. But I think it's more likely the jury will have some input on the competitions.