Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 3 2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Big Brother

I am really looking foward to seeing this season of Big Brother. Last season was great hope this season is just as good. It starts on June 29, 2013.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Big Brother

I'm looking forward to it as well! I was going to start a thread but I did so in the past and it wasn't very successful, so I'm glad you did. One slight correction, the season actually starts on June 26th.

The rumor is that this cast will be all new, no returning players, which hasn't happened in a while so it should be fun.

Other news is that CBS will now be controlling the live feeds instead of Superpass, and Big Brother After Dark will no longer be airing on Showtime. It will now be on TVGN, which is the TV Guide channel, and will be two hours instead of three. For us west coast folks, it will be delayed by three hours (I used to be able to watch the east coast feed of Showtime 2 from 9 pm to midnight). Unfortunately I don't get that channel on AT&T Uverse.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'd be glad if we didn't see any re-hashed houseguests. If you're going to do that, make them all re-hashed.

It'll be interesting to see if they make After Dark available here in Canada as I'll be recovering from surgery at that point and will have lots of time to fritter away.
Old June 3 2013, 04:57 AM   #4
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I sometimes watch Big Brother but a majority of the time they have a completely unlikable cast.

So my attitude toward Big Brother is, watch the first few episodes, and if they're all angry entitled douches like the average season, stop watching.

To me, the good seasons are season 2, season 3, All-star, and Dan's two seasons. Heck, last season I was shocked that the show was actually good. Season before last I turned off permanently the moment Dick walked in the door.

Most seasons are just a lot of shallow bitter 25 year old blondes crying and calling each other Satan. And then the year after the same shallow bitter 25 year old blondes dirty Amazing Race with their obnoxiously douchey presence.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

Most seasons are just a lot of shallow bitter 25 year old blondes crying and calling each other Satan. And then the year after the same shallow bitter 25 year old blondes dirty Amazing Race with their obnoxiously douchey presence.
Another rumor is that half the cast will be young (under 25 I think) and the other half will be "old" (over 35), with the oldest being around 70. This is a random Twitter rumor, so its reliability is highly dubious, but that would make for an interesting season.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 6 2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Still waiting on the big day for the first episode this season of Big Brother.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

Another rumor is that half the cast will be young (under 25 I think) and the other half will be "old" (over 35), with the oldest being around 70. This is a random Twitter rumor, so its reliability is highly dubious, but that would make for an interesting season.
The problem with this and one that Big Brother has had consistently is that they find the most boneheaded, self absorbed "young" people they can find that you can't help but root against.
Old June 6 2013, 02:30 AM   #8
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

I find it too boring now. Time for the next Orwellian show perhaps 'everyone is equal...' Or 'down and out in Paris and London' or how about a deep see diving game show 'coming up for Air'.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

CBS just came out with the price for the new feeds, it will be about $24 if you buy before the season starts and $27 thereafter. Not bad, considering that it will still include all of the important features such as flashbacks (now called the archive), online chat rooms, mobile viewing, and all that fun stuff.

The bad news is that anyone outside the US cannot sign up for the feeds. This is unfortunate since there are a lot of Canadian BB fans! People are already starting to find ways around that though, through VPNs and such.

I've also heard another dubious rumor that the twist this year might resemble that of season 6, where secret pairs entered the house, and if a pair made it to the end without anyone finding out they already knew each other they would get a bigger cash prize.

Who knows what's real and what's not at this point. Either way I think it will be a good season, I feel optimistic!
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 6 2013, 03:46 AM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I haven't signed up for the feeds since season 2.

I will admit there was some cool stuff in the feeds that year. I recall Will suggesting that himself, Mike and Bunky all have sex with Nicole at the same time (And I specifically remember him uttering the phrase 'You have three orifices of love'), and I recall them spending hours trying to figure out the rules for an overly elaborate drinking game.

But I have better things to do with my time. So I'm fine just watching the show, if it happens to be decent that year. And if I'm not home when it airs I'm fine just missing it. Fortunately it tends to only need one manipulating bastard to be a good season. All the seasons I consider good have either had Dan, Will or S3 Danielle.
Old June 6 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Big Brother still exists?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Danny99
Vice Admiral

The houseguests are up and once again, we have our token old person among the twenty something swimsuit models. So much for the rumor of some older blood in this season.

Plus we have this MVP vote thing that sounds like it could be the copy of America's Player or something.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/mvp-vote/

Just by strategy on that page, I'm picking David as my early favorite. His strategy is what I'd go with.
Old June 21 2013, 01:20 AM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I hate it when they let home voters affect the outcome of the game. The c'oup de tat, ugh. Games are more fun to watch when they are just allowed to play out without obvious nudging.

Sure all these shows nudge all the time. I'm 90% sure they don't decide which legs on Amazing Race are non elimination legs until they see who comes in last. But at least edit it out properly to preserve the illusion!
Old June 21 2013, 03:46 AM   #14
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

There are also videos of the new houseguests on the CBS website as well as some other Big Brother fan sites. After watching the interviews, my favorites are Helen, McCrae, and Andy. My absolute least favorite is Jeremy, who is extremely cocky and full of himself.

Also, Rachel (yes, THAT Rachel) has a sister competing this year in the house, Elissa. She seems like a less annoying version of Rachel.

In addition to the MVP thing, it has also been announced that there will be three people nominated, at least for the first few weeks of the game. That should be interesting to see play out...

The MVP thing sounds great in theory, I would love to reward the person who has the best strategy each week, but in practice I think we know it will turn out to be a popularity contest. Also, those who watch the feeds know that the CBS episodes are highly edited to favor certain players. Many times in past seasons, there were entire strategies and alliances never shown at all, instead those people were made out to look like fools while others who had no clue what they were doing were edited as controlling the whole game. Basically, if CBS wants the vote to go a particular way, they have a lot of control over that.

But, I don't want to be negative before the season even begins. I'm glad that we have a whole new cast of people and I can't wait to see how it plays out!
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 22 2013, 05:19 PM   #15
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

What, there is an American Big Brother? I didn't even know this!

I haven't followed in the UK for years, it was interesting for the first couple, but then they started with stunt-casting, trying to get the most oddballs that would immediately cause conflict (then of course the makers wrung their hands when the conflict they wanted showed sexism/racism/homophobia).