New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Would you be okay with a female Doctor?
I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!) 69 56.10%
I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!) 40 32.52%
I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!) 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2013, 05:49 PM   #61
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Female Doctor Poll!

So long as The Doctor is still British and can convince me that there's a 1000-year-old personality behind those eyes, I really don't care who plays the part. Man, woman, rabbit, makes very little difference.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:57 PM   #62
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think it would cheapen the integrity of the series by making the once great principle character a tacky, gawdy, anti-intellectual, tabloid headine grabbing gimmick worthy of Russell T. Davies at his most insane.

But I bet plenty will think it'd be camp and funny.
Yep, that sums it up exactly.

It would be a gimmick, plain and simple. Time Lords and Time Ladies have a fixed gender, period.
Old June 3 2013, 05:58 PM   #63
ITL
Vice Admiral

Leonardo T. Dragon wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think it would cheapen the integrity of the series by making the once great principle character a tacky, gawdy, anti-intellectual, tabloid headine grabbing gimmick worthy of Russell T. Davies at his most insane.

But I bet plenty will think it'd be camp and funny.
Yep, that sums it up exactly.

It would be a gimmick, plain and simple. Time Lords and Time Ladies have a fixed gender, period.
*cough* The Corsair *cough*
Old June 3 2013, 06:00 PM   #64
davejames
Vice Admiral

I certainly wouldn't mind if the next Doctor was female, although I'd be more interested in seeing a black Doctor or some other ethnicity first.

In fact going in either of those directions would probably be the smartest move now, since it would be hard to find another young white actor who could possibly top what Matt Smith did.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:04 PM   #65
sojourner
Vice Admiral

If it's a female doctor, she won't have a pole.

Sorry, just ran in when I saw the thread title. Hope the lame joke hasn't already been made.
Old June 3 2013, 07:26 PM   #66
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

A female doctor would be a travesty. I don't know why there's always this big thing about a female doctor. It never happens.

I'm also shocked to see the vast majority of people would be okay with it. I think it would be awful. It would be cheap and tacky. If they had a female doctor, I'd strongly contemplate not watching the show. I'd probably make my own fan fiction canon where the Doctor regenerated into Idris Elba or Damien Molony as a way of coping.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:37 PM   #67
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
A female doctor would be a travesty. I don't know why there's always this big thing about a female doctor. It never happens.

I'm also shocked to see the vast majority of people would be okay with it. I think it would be awful. It would be cheap and tacky. If they had a female doctor, I'd strongly contemplate not watching the show. I'd probably make my own fan fiction canon where the Doctor regenerated into Idris Elba or Damien Molony as a way of coping.
A travesty?

Why would it be cheap?
Why would it be tacky?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:47 PM   #68
davejames
Vice Admiral

The Doctor's never been a particularly masculine or "manly" character to begin with, so I don't really see how giving him boobs would make much of a difference.

It would still be essentially the same personality and same character we'd be watching.
Old June 3 2013, 08:15 PM   #69
The Stig
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
The Doctor's never been a particularly masculine or "manly" character to begin with, so I don't really see how giving him boobs would make much of a difference.

It would still be essentially the same personality and same character we'd be watching.
It really doesn't matter how 'masculine' The Doctor is or isn't. There are no character traits that cannot be portrayed by a capable actor of either gender. Hell, Starbuck was way more 'manly' than Apollo and that didn't hurt the believability of her character one iota.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 08:19 PM   #70
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I'd be eager to see how they would pull it off. But with the right story and actress, it could work out extremely well. It could also crash burn quicker than the Hindenburg.
Old June 3 2013, 08:35 PM   #71
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It's not my preference but I'd be totally ok with it.
Old June 3 2013, 10:03 PM   #72
davejames
Vice Admiral

Practically speaking though, I have a feeling the BBC will want to keep the male/female balance the same between the Doctor and Companion.

As long as they've got Coleman in there, they probably won't see much need to make the Doctor female as well, since they've already got that demographic covered.
Old June 3 2013, 10:40 PM   #73
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post

A travesty?

Why would it be cheap?
Why would it be tacky?
Yes, a travesty,

Because knowing the BBC, they'd do some pretty awful and tacky things. Just look at the Rani. Quite possibly the worst villain in all of doctor who history. I can only see the BBC doing something like that. And Janeway from Star Trek. Awful. I have a nasty feeling that if they had a female doctor, they'd gofor something similar to that.
davejames wrote: View Post
Practically speaking though, I have a feeling the BBC will want to keep the male/female balance the same between the Doctor and Companion.

As long as they've got Coleman in there, they probably won't see much need to make the Doctor female as well, since they've already got that demographic covered.
Well exactly. I don't want a female dominated cast. Now I wouldn't want a male dominated cast either, but I still want the doctor to stay male. The male doctor and a female companion is a successful formula that's lasted 50 years. Why ruin perfection? Besides, I can't think of any female that would pull it off right. And what would she wear? A long dress? Or would we get a tom boy in a olive green tank top with question marks on a jacket?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:56 PM   #74
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Women are regular human beings, they have more than one or two personalities and more than two ways to dress. The male Doctors to date have covererd a wide range of personalities and fashion styles. The writers and the producer would have a range in terms of personality and costume to choose from as broad as with a male actor. Hell, as far as costumes go, they'd even have more choices because a female Doctor can wear skirts and dresses without looking funny to Western eyes. (Jon Pertwee doesn't count. )
Old June 3 2013, 11:00 PM   #75
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
bryce wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
No one will be able to edit the poll. You'll either have to live with it or ask a mod of this forum to close this thread so you can start a new one with the right poll options. On the other hand, it's pretty likely that people will read the first post in this thread and thus vote correctly.
Drats! Well, I dunno...what do you think is best?

I feel bad I messed up, and I hate having to ask to close the poll...but it is kinda confusing too...

I'll leave it up to the mods.
I've swapped them.
FANTASTIC!!! And THANKS!!!
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote