Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Would you be okay with a female Doctor?
I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!) 69 56.10%
I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!) 40 32.52%
I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!) 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2013, 10:33 AM   #31
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Female Doctor Poll!

I don't want a female Doctor.

If you want a female Doctor, you have to have a female James Bond too.
Old June 3 2013, 10:38 AM   #32
Pingfah
Admiral

A female Doctor will really irritate and annoy people who deserve to be really irritated and annoyed, so I am in favour of it.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Ubik
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'd be fine with it assuming they cast a suitable actor (which they always do so there's no problem there). You'd have a bunch of jokes in the first episode, many of which would fall flat, but then the show would carry on as normal.

There wouldn't really be much of a difference.
Precisely. For the first episode or two, it would be a gag, and then the show would just go on as it did before. I would only like to add that, if anything, the show could improve as a result of this casting, because they could no longer rely on the whole "hot female companion stares longingly at and falls in love with quirky male hero Doctor" thing I've gotten so sick of.

Oh, and someone up thread, who clearly hasn't examined their own opinions in a while, claims that casting a woman in the lead role would be an "anti-intellectual gimmick." I suppose the all-black Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, was also a gimmick? As was casting Judy Dench as M, and Avery Brooks as the lead on a Star Trek show. All these damned gimmicks - I wish Hollywood would just drop all that politically correct "social responsibility" crap and just get back to the normal day-to-day business of furthering the hegemony of the white male. I mean, jeez. It's just entertainment, for God's sake. (Is there an irony icon?)
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:47 AM   #34
Ubik
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post

Part of the James Bond brand is its inherent sexism. It prides itself on it. James Bond has spent decades having sex with women and then killing them. It has naked dancing girls over the theme music. Are you arguing that a central part of Doctor Who's charm, like that of the James Bond brand, is its sexism? If so, please do make that explicit.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:52 AM   #35
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post

No, I don't. For starters, Bond can't regenerate, he can only change actors. They had to reboot the series just to make him blond.
Besides, with Bond, it's an important part of the character to be a male chauvinist and ladykiller. He's basically a male adolescent power fantasy. It's who and what he is. The Doctor, on the other hand, has been asexual in most of his incarnations, he's definitely no ladykiller, and I actually find no character trait of him that defines him as a particularly male character.

Last, but not least, James is a really stupid name for a woman.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:32 AM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think it would cheapen the integrity of the series by making the once great principle character a tacky, gawdy, anti-intellectual, tabloid headine grabbing gimmick worthy of Russell T. Davies at his most insane.

But I bet plenty will think it'd be camp and funny.
1. And a female Doctor would be nothing but a gimmick, of course.
There are a disproportionate amount of Doctor Who fans that want Doctor Who to be camp, frothy, meaningless light-entertainment. Hence genuinely serious suggestions from fans on this forum so far that Catherine Tate or Emma Watson should play The Doctor. Actors that have showed absolutely no ability to convincingly portray an alien, outcast scientist.

No other show I follow has this type of fandom. I bet nobody in the Game of Thrones thread is demanding that we get a Lionel Richie cameo or whatever. I want Doctor Who to move far away from being tabloid fodder, and The Doctor growing tits is a very crass, shallow example of that culture. I don't think Doctor Who should cater to the Heat Magazine crowd, but aim for a more intelligent audience. I strongly expect that all those passionately demanding Emma Watson or whoever play The Doctor, would regret it very quickly and spend the next 3 years wanting the character to be taken seriously again.

My two pence.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

But people have suggested woman who could convinsingly play a scientist...I do hope you're not suggesting that women just can't be scientists?

Anyway there are equally wrong suggestions of some male actors for the role too.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:13 PM   #38
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Actors that have showed absolutely no ability to convincingly portray an alien, outcast scientist.
That's a fairly specific pre-requisite.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:18 PM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The NEW Doctor meets Jack.

"So? WhaTTTTaya think?"

"Meh? I preferred you as a man."

Sexually would a female Doctor now be considered a lesbian, or has "he" always been checking out the blokes the whole time?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

In a show in which the main character has been established as being able to change EVERY CELL IN HIS BODY he could come back as a rabbit for all I care.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:56 PM   #41
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think The Doctor being a paternal figure is a very key element of the show's DNA that shouldn't be changed. A female Doctor could work but there's a 99.99% chance the writers would just fuck it up so I'm not really up for it. I'm imagining how Moffat or RTD would write the post-regen scene of The Doctor examining her new female body and already cringing.

It's all a bit too New Earth for me.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:08 PM   #42
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Ubik wrote: View Post
Part of the James Bond brand is its inherent sexism. It prides itself on it. James Bond has spent decades having sex with women and then killing them. It has naked dancing girls over the theme music. Are you arguing that a central part of Doctor Who's charm, like that of the James Bond brand, is its sexism? If so, please do make that explicit.
Some of the Doctor's key characteristics have always been connected to what is perceived to be the traditional male role. The whole man who "walks like he owns the place", comes from a civilization of sanctimonious patriarchs, protects the innocent at all corst, grandfather/crazy uncle/father figure, likes to impress young women, etc... has been part of the Doctor's DNA from the beginning. It would be interesting to have a female Doctor, but the writers would have to think about what it means for the character and his attitude.
Old June 3 2013, 01:16 PM   #43
Stoo
Captain

Sounds like making excuses to me. "Oh a female doctor could be ok" but then looking for reasons to decide it wouldn't work. The writing would be awful, they'll case an unsuitable actress etc etc.

Sexist or change-fearing attitudes in fandom need shaking up and our tragic, engimatic world-breaking travelling wizard can work as a woman just as well a guy.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:27 PM   #44
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Stoo wrote: View Post
Sounds like making excuses to me. "Oh a female doctor could be ok" but then looking for reasons to decide it wouldn't work. The writing would be awful, they'll case an unsuitable actress etc etc.

Sexist or change-fearing attitudes in fandom need shaking up and our tragic, engimatic world-breaking travelling wizard can work as a woman just as well a guy.
Sure, but if they're casting a woman in a role that has been defined by (mostly) traditionally male traits, they have to at least think about what it means for the character. Is it asking for too much? Don't you think that the producers would think about that kind of thing, if they ever made a Mary Poppins remake starring Rik Mayall as Mary?
Old June 3 2013, 01:40 PM   #45
Stoo
Captain

I was responding to Jim above you there, you ninja'd me while I was distracted.

Sure, some things should be approached a bit differently, particularly in historical episodes. I'm just think "oh they'd do it wrong" is an excuse people use to hide their reluctance to see something new tried *at all*.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote