RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 739
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 7 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Does Anybody Know Why?

Does Anybody know why "STAR TREK THE ANIMATED SERIES" ONLY HAD 6 EPISODES IN Season 2?
Please Advise?
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Does Anybody Know Why?

Because it was cancelled?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Probably the same reason I only watched it once and never really felt compelled to revisit it. It just didn't entertain me all that much.
Old June 7 2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Third Nacelle
Captain

From what little info I could find, after the original contract for TAS ran out, NBC only ordered six more episodes.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
J.T.B.
Commodore

Kids watching Saturday morning cartoons were not considered a very discriminating audience. Short seasons, frequent repeats and re-bundling old product were pretty common for that segment of TV.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 01:45 AM   #6
ZapBrannigan
Captain

I recall a newspaper article contemporary with the cancellation. It said NBC simply found that kids were willing to watch the same few ST cartoon eps over and over (and I sure was at age 11-12), so there was no need to spend money on new ones.

It's ironic (if it's true) that audience loyalty would kill the show, but in those days the market was different. Later animated shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy were kept alive by loyal audiences because new episodes keep interest up, and thus the merchandising gravy train keeps flowing. They have T-shirts, DVDs, endless stuff for sale. ST TAS had almost no such secondary markets to incentivize the studio.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
From what little info I could find, after the original contract for TAS ran out, NBC only ordered six more episodes.
I thought the animated was very good, and some episodes had some good stories too.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:51 AM   #8
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Kids watching Saturday morning cartoons were not considered a very discriminating audience. Short seasons, frequent repeats and re-bundling old product were pretty common for that segment of TV.
And, it's far from uncommon. Twenty years later Batman: The Animated series did the same thing. Also, although I don't know this for a fact, I think it's sister shows, Superman and Justice League did this too.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
And, it's far from uncommon. Twenty years later Batman: The Animated series did the same thing. Also, although I don't know this for a fact, I think it's sister shows, Superman and Justice League did this too.
They were all Warner Bros. productions, and the WB tends to get a lot of mileage out of their animated shows, even putting them into syndication.

Most old cartoons are still available through syndication--including Star Trek TAS--for any TV network or local channel that wants them.
Old June 8 2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Elder Knight
Captain

I believe that this was standard procedure for cartoons and other child-oriented programming: do a few new shows each season to pad out the reruns.

Rather like they do with prime-time series nowadays!
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

This was common for animated Saturday morning shows in the '70s. A number of other Filmation shows only had one season that kept getting rerun for years. I grew up seeing the same episodes over and over and finding it normal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:39 PM   #12
marksound
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
This was common for animated Saturday morning shows in the '70s. A number of other Filmation shows only had one season that kept getting rerun for years. I grew up seeing the same episodes over and over and finding it normal.
Me too. And it never got old. I watched the same cartoons over and over, but if I got distracted by something else, well, there you go. Kids are kids.

I was 13-14 when TAS aired. I'd try to watch when I could, even if it were a rerun. In those days there was only one TV in the house, and the younger sibs often beat me to it and watched whatever it was they liked.

If I didn't like what was on, I had to find something else to do. Read, go outside, ride my bike, whatever. There was no internet, no gaming consoles, nothing. We literally had to think outside the box.

But in the 22 episodes of animated Trek, I still wonder why there was no episode number 12?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

^I didn't know what you meant there, but I checked the episode list on Memory Alpha, and indeed, the production numbers jump from 22011 to 22013. I suppose they had an episode #22012 in development but it was abandoned for some reason. Sometimes that happens -- a script in development just can't be made to work.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:36 AM   #14
Maurice
Vice Admiral

It used to be that most Saturday morning cartoons were produced in a full order of 16-17 episodes for the first season, and it was not uncommon for subsequent seconds (which were rare) to be a half order of 6-8.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:47 AM   #15
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I didn't know what you meant there, but I checked the episode list on Memory Alpha, and indeed, the production numbers jump from 22011 to 22013. I suppose they had an episode #22012 in development but it was abandoned for some reason. Sometimes that happens -- a script in development just can't be made to work.
Gasp! What if the episode was produced, but never aired due to suspicious reasons and lost forever? What was in that episode? What are they trying to hide from us?! False flag, JFK, Masons, et cetera!
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote