Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old June 2 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy
Strategic Designs/Cydonia 6 Ink: Any Progress?

Several years ago, Strategic Designs posted some awesome blueprints. But, for some vague legal reasons (the hush-hushness of it all sounded like a murder was involved), the site folded.

Then the designer from SD started Cydonia 6 Ink, posted the original two blueprints from SD with more to come.

So, now we're a couple of years later...there's been no news. I know we're not entitled to any but it'd be nice to know if there's been any progress or if it was all just a hobby and the designer doesn't have time for it anymore.

Personally, I think they were the best Trek blueprints I've ever seen.
Old June 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Strategic Designs/Cydonia 6 Ink: Any Progress?

Hi,

I know, everyone's been waiting very patiently for an update.

After I released the Intrepid and Defiant in April of last year I started working at Zoic on Once Upon A Time/Wonderland/Falling Skies and boy does it take up your days! My last 3 pay periods (2 weeks per) were 150 hrs for each one. That means working right through the weekends too. I've had absolutely no time to do the work I've been wanting to do to update the prints. I'm not complaining about being overworked as there are a lot of people out of work and am grateful that I'm employed right now.
I'm about 80% done with Oberth and about 20% through refit and TOS Enterprise. Understand that I'm updating them as I've explained on the website and that owners of both the SD and C6 prints will attest, there are changes, not just reprints.

So, yes, I haven't forgotten about them and am still actively working on them now that I have more personal time. I'm not going to close the site and disappear on you guys. I know that quality blueprints/deck plans are highly valued by people like us. It's a hobby that I can only do in my off time. The day job has to come first. but it's also something that keeps me motivated and have the most enjoyment doing.

I hope that answers your question.

Tim

Last edited by wildstar; June 2 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:03 PM   #3
BorgusFrat
Lieutenant

I think some of the works of Strategic Designs was derivative of Star Station Aurora & Mastercom, who came first. There seemed to be more thought and care gone into the plans from McM, especially Ships of the Star Fleet. The backstories were fantastic, the fictional "histories' etc. The background in the Strategic Designs didn't seem to be as wellt thought out. Hopefully there's some effort to maybe "align' the backstories on your new Cydonia products- are you planning it,or thinking in terms of the "official" timelines instead, etc?
Old June 4 2013, 11:52 PM   #4
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Good to know this, and congratulations on the day-job!

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:06 AM   #5
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

BorgusFrat wrote: View Post
I think some of the works of Strategic Designs was derivative of Star Station Aurora & Mastercom, who came first. There seemed to be more thought and care gone into the plans from McM, especially Ships of the Star Fleet. The backstories were fantastic, the fictional "histories' etc. The background in the Strategic Designs didn't seem to be as wellt thought out. Hopefully there's some effort to maybe "align' the backstories on your new Cydonia products- are you planning it,or thinking in terms of the "official" timelines instead, etc?
Hi,

I can't speak for the SD books, such as Prototype or Dynamics as those were before I was involved. I know that they had a lot of references to other fan products. As for the deck plans, I've stuck with the official ships in the "Star Trek public realm", ie the tv shows and movies.

Tim
Old June 5 2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Albertese
Commodore

I love Dynamics. But, that's the only SD product I've seen...

--Alex
Old June 9 2013, 02:19 AM   #7
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Dynamics if great. There's a few errors here and there, but overall I think it's the exact type of thing that fans want. A general guide to the movie-era tech world. A TNG-era or TOS-era version would be cool. Updated graphics and the like.
Old June 10 2013, 10:26 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

I miss new tech manuals.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Mario de Monti
Captain

I basically devoured Dynamics, although there could have been more and better line drawings of the vessels. But for that you can always pick up Prototype or the Ships of the Star Fleet by SD - or your own drawings

Nowadays however, I tend to be torn between having all those ship designs (and some really are cool) and the facts we get from TOS and the movies: They suggest a much smaller fleet, not hundreds and thousands of starships roaming the galaxy. So mostly I decide for myself which aspect I feel like enjoying at the moment: screen accuracy or fleet diversity
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Mario de Monti
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
I miss new tech manuals.
Me too. But I doubt that today, with all that stuff on the internet readily available at the click of a mouse button, there would be a big market for new hardcopy, printed, book-type manuals. I´d love to proven wrong, however
Old June 12 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

While the Internet is certainly a great resource, I don't think it's that huge of a threat to hard copy books. Star Wars still makes reference books fairly regularly, as do most gaming companies. What is definitely more likely in the near future is a higher percentage of new products appearing as e-reader format instead of physical paper, which is the case with some of the current Battletech releases.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Mario de Monti
Captain

True. When thinking of new books like Dynamics (and the potential market for them) I was automatically thinking of the TMP era and the 1980s - the high time for tech manuals and blueprint sets - and not so much of newer shows and movies. Trek is still around today - I sometimes forget that
Old June 13 2013, 06:15 AM   #13
BorgusFrat
Lieutenant

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I basically devoured Dynamics, although there could have been more and better line drawings of the vessels. But for that you can always pick up Prototype or the Ships of the Star Fleet by SD - or your own drawings
The Ships of the Star Fleet series is from Mastercom, not SD.
Old June 13 2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Mario de Monti
Captain

You´re right of course, I stand corrected. Got my abbreviations mixed up
Old June 13 2013, 08:07 AM   #15
BorgusFrat
Lieutenant

You´re right of course, I stand corrected. Got my abbreviations mixed up
It's okay. You're new here

IMO, Mastercom was pretty much the ultimate for this type of work, at least as far as the completeness of the "reality' they created. None of the others really stand up. As for abbreviations, I tend to shorten them to McM. Of course before that they were SSA*- Star Station Aurora. And they produced the outstanding Starship Design periodical. OMG

Another group called Federation Printing Office was pretty good too. Though they never should of used "Printing' in their name -- total anachnronnism nowadays. But oh well. They were known as SFPO, of course. They kind of followed in the footsteps of SSA / McM; followed their lead, yessir, but they did do the Reference Series. 'Course, that got ripped off too easily by unscruopulous dealers as I always heard it.

TTFN