Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5 2013, 10:52 PM   #226
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Not really. The truth is that he was a subject who followed the king's orders. Not so cut and dry, but Arya can't understand that. In her little world of honor, she thinks everyone should die or face whatever kind of punishment instead of doing something dishonorable (like her father did), even if they really had no choice. It's the same failure in understanding that lost her older brother the war and got him killed. Most people don't work like that. If he had killed the boy out of his own free will, that would have been one thing, but that's not what happened.
Hard as it may be for you, the saying "don't kill the messenger," comes to mind. Be upset with the person who actually caused your problem (i.e. "sent the message"), not the person who had to carry out orders or else. I can understand her anger at Joffrey. He's the reason why her friend died, not the Hound. So far, out of his own free will, he's done more to help children than hurt them.
Really only a meaningful distinction if the Hound personally objected to what he did, but he didn't. He was fine with it, and wryly joked about murdering Mycah, both at the time and years later.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:17 PM   #227
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Budget wasn't involved in using Talisa rather than Jeyne. The producers simply felt it was better if Robb breaking the alliance with the Freys was an entirely free decision based on twue wuv rather than an issue of honor. If money had been an issue, they wouldn't have ended up featuring the character so prominently and making her a regular this year.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; June 6 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:30 PM   #228
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Budget wasn't involved in using Talisa rather than Jeyne. The producers simply felt it was better if Robb breaking the alliance with the Freys was an entirely free decision based on twue wuv rather than an issue of honor and the result of a deception. If money had been an issue, they wouldn't have ended up featuring the character so prominently and making her a regular this year.
It is a lot cheaper for them not to have to build sets for the Westerling castle, feature the battle for it, etc. and it means that they don't have to give Cat stuff to do while he is gone.

A single actress is cheap. It isn't like they spent any time developing Talisa anyways. One conversation about where she came from doesn't a character make.

Robb has spent most of the last 2 seasons sitting around camp or sitting around Riverrun. If you don't think that was for budgetary reasons I really don't know what to tell you.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:40 PM   #229
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Of course the reason they haven't featured more battles and the like is budget. But the basic change in the relationship, from spur-of-the-moment sex to choosing true love over duty, was a decision made because Benioff and Weiss thought that was more dramatically interesting. Bryan Cogman has said so in interviews. They could still have kept the core of the character intact featuring her exactly as often as they did Talisa, in pretty much the same scenes, but they didn't want to. That's my point.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; June 6 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:43 PM   #230
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I think it could have just as easily worked to keep the character's name but still have her go through the motions that Talissa did without delving too deeply into the Westerling side-story.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; June 6 2013 at 12:10 AM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 12:00 AM   #231
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

well, it is still a possibility that they might reveal that next week, which is why I avoided speculating on that point in my previous posts. Might be good to wrap that bit in spoiler tags.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old June 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #232
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Good point. Done.
Old June 6 2013, 12:14 AM   #233
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I've edited my posts as well, although the revelation in question isn't going to happen; the mods of Westeros.org have been told as much by reliable sources working on the show. Like the attempt to cast "Podrick Payne, sex god" as an intrigue-driven plot point rather than a juvenile gag, the theory gives the TV show too much credit.
Old June 6 2013, 01:48 AM   #234
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Not really. The truth is that he was a subject who followed the king's orders. Not so cut and dry, but Arya can't understand that. In her little world of honor, she thinks everyone should die or face whatever kind of punishment instead of doing something dishonorable (like her father did), even if they really had no choice. It's the same failure in understanding that lost her older brother the war and got him killed. Most people don't work like that. If he had killed the boy out of his own free will, that would have been one thing, but that's not what happened.
Hard as it may be for you, the saying "don't kill the messenger," comes to mind. Be upset with the person who actually caused your problem (i.e. "sent the message"), not the person who had to carry out orders or else. I can understand her anger at Joffrey. He's the reason why her friend died, not the Hound. So far, out of his own free will, he's done more to help children than hurt them.
Really only a meaningful distinction if the Hound personally objected to what he did, but he didn't. He was fine with it, and wryly joked about murdering Mycah, both at the time and years later.
This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen defended.

Yeah he had no regrets at all and he mocks Arya for her feelings over him killing her friend. But she's supposed to not hate him because he was ordered to do it? Are we talking about robots here?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:02 AM   #235
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I don't know that he's fine with it or not fine with it. He's a warrior and the subject of the "king." The distinction would be if he killed children after he left Joffrey and thought it was okay, which he hasn't done.

I'm not saying he's a great person, just that he's not the reason why her friend is dead. He's just not.

teacake wrote: View Post
This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen defended.

Yeah he had no regrets at all and he mocks Arya for her feelings over him killing her friend. But she's supposed to not hate him because he was ordered to do it? Are we talking about robots here?
It's not a defense. It is simply stating a fact.

And no, we're not talking about robots here. I didn't really take him answering her as mocking.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:07 AM   #236
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

They've done Sandor a terrible disservice in the show. He is barely a character, much less one you can apply a morality to. It is best not to dwell on him too long.
Old June 6 2013, 02:10 AM   #237
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

How hard is it to understand why a child would hate a man who kills her friend?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:12 AM   #238
Dream
Admiral

The Hound killed the butcher's boy because of the Prince's orders. It was an evil act, but disobeying Joffrey might have meant his own death.

The only way Arya's friend could have been saved if Robert or Cersei had gone over Joffrey's head and ordered the Hound not to do it. Cersei didn't give a shit about the death, and Robert lets his son get away with everything.

I don't blame the Hound or Arya for hating him for the murder. The boy was doomed the moment Joffrey set his eyes on him.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:15 AM   #239
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Joffrey never ordered the Hound to kill Mycah. The Hound was order to find him. The killing was of his own accord. He's said on more than one occasion that he enjoys killing, and has shown no remorse for his actions. There is nothing to absolve him of his crimes.
Old June 6 2013, 02:20 AM   #240
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

There's no way Sandor's life would have been in danger if he'd declined to kill Mycah. Robert was the ultimate authority at that point, and despite his many moral failings he would hardly have had someone executed for declining to kill one child on the orders of another, or even on Cersei's orders, if any such orders were actually given. Sandor might have wound up dismissed from Joffrey's service, but it's not like no other occupations were available for a strong, skilled fighter. He killed Mycah because, at that point, he had no real moral compass, not because he was utterly without options.