Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 10 2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Amasov
Rear Admiral

So, I met my first slew of Trek stars

I'm sure some of you local Bostonians attended the convention we just had in town this weekend. This was really my first convention where I got to meet a few of the actors from the various shows. I couldn't have had a better time.

The convention itself was a little small, but there were many panels in the auditorium featuring many actors from the shows.

I just wanted to share my experience in meeting the actors.

Brent Spiner
Brent was such a delight. I've seen him on various panels on YouTube that other fans recorded and am well-aware of his wisecracks and humor. When I got over to him, he was on his iPad and said to me, "You don't mind if I just check email real quick, do you?"

"No, of course not," I said.

A moment later he said to me, "Actually, I really brought this because I wanted to take pictures of all the freaks here. You don't mind if I take yours, do you?"

So after that, we spoke for about a minute or two. I told him how I thought he'd be a great addition to Curb Your Enthusiasm, to which he agreed. Then went into this story about how he actually knows Larry David.

So keeping his "freak" comment in mind, after we fist-bumped, I was about to walk away, and then said, "Oh, wait, now I remember where I saw you. You were C3PO, weren't you?"

"SHHH! Don't tell anyone that!"

Brent's a great guy and I really liked talking to him.

Marina Sirtis
I can't say enough good things about Marina. She was an absolute sweetheart. I went to get her autograph when the crowds died down a bit. When I met her, she asked me my name and what I do. She then proceeded to chat with me for almost ten minutes. She loves to talk. She even gave me a few tips about the voice-over business, since that's a career path I want to get into.

My friend and I ran into her again later on. We took a break from the con and as we were coming back, we caught her out front smoking. I actually approached her and asked her for a cigarette and she was happy to do it. I said, "I don't smoke, I just want to out on Facebook that I bummed a cigarette off Marina Sirtis." She laughed and spoke with us for a few minutes before having to get back inside.

I absolutely loved meeting Marina.

Levar Burton
Levar was also pretty awesome. Right away, he'd fistbump you and treat you like you were old friends. We spent most of the time talking about relaunching Reading Rainbow.

Michael Dorn
Michael was pretty quiet and didn't have much to say. He seemed like a really shy guy.

Rene Auberjonois
Rene was really cool. I told him I had a long-lasting appreciation for classic TV and mentioned that I caught him on an episode of The Bob Newhart Show. He laughed and said, "How old are you, anyway?" When I told him I was 27, he said, "I can't believe you've even seen that show!"

Nana Visitor
Nana was really sweet and happy to talk with me. Like Rene, she signed my DVDs. Great, great lady.

William Shatner
My buddy got a photo op with Shatner and he asked if I wanted to be in it. Even though the photo op was really quick, I managed to talk to Bill for a few seconds. He was seated between the two of us and I jokingly said, "So, I'll just sit in your lap?" To which he laughed and said, "And what would you like for Christmas?!"

Here's a few pictures of what I had signed.

Brent's signature.

Levar's signature.

Marina's signature.

It's funny, I brought this phaser toy with me to show a friend and had no intention of asking anyone to sign it. But as I got in line for Brent, I thought of it. Then ended up getting all the TNG stars there to sign it.

Overall, I had an awesome time. It was great to meet the Trek actors for the very first time.

Really looking forward to the next one.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: So, I met my first slew of Trek stars

^Congratulations! It sounds like you had an amazing time in Boston! As fans, we're truly blessed to be able to have an opportunity to interact with so many talented and wonderful people. That's really cool that Marina gave you some pointers that may help you with your career.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Again, I can't say enough great things about Marina. My favorite moment of the weekend was during the TNG panel, Shatner served as moderator. And because Shatner was being Shatner by interrupting and taking things over, Marina got up and smacked him in the head.
Old June 10 2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Sran
Fleet Captain

Amasov wrote: View Post
Again, I can't say enough great things about Marina. My favorite moment of the weekend was during the TNG panel, Shatner served as moderator. And because Shatner was being Shatner by interrupting and taking things over, Marina got up and smacked him in the head.
That's hilarious! I've heard Spiner can be somewhat snarky during those panels, usually because he's asked a stupid question by an audience member. Did anything like that happen this time?

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I just wanted to share my experience in meeting the actors.
I hate you.
Old June 10 2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Sran
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
I hate you.
Hatred is irrelevant.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 03:07 AM   #7
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
That's hilarious! I've heard Spiner can be somewhat snarky during those panels, usually because he's asked a stupid question by an audience member. Did anything like that happen this time?

--Sran
Nope. Nothing like that happened. I was expecting it when someone asked him what his favorite episode was, but he didn't do that. He was pretty genuine on stage. It was great to see him banter back and forth with Shatner.

The entire TNG cast ganged up on Shatner and didn't really let him run things. Shatner pointed out how much fun they were and Brent said, "We're only this much fun now because we have a victim!"

Old June 10 2013, 03:19 AM   #8
Sran
Fleet Captain

The entire TNG cast ganged up on Shatner and didn't really let him run things. Shatner pointed out how much fun they were and Brent said, "We're only this much fun now because we have a victim!"

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 03:26 AM   #9
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Ha, that's terrific! I've always been curious as to how Shatner gets along with the TNG cast (aside from Stewart, which is well documented). Great to see such good fun they have together.

I've never been to one of these conventions and I'm feeling like I really should, before cast members stop going to these.
Old June 10 2013, 03:35 AM   #10
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Ha, that's terrific! I've always been curious as to how Shatner gets along with the TNG cast (aside from Stewart, which is well documented). Great to see such good fun they have together.

I've never been to one of these conventions and I'm feeling like I really should, before cast members stop going to these.
Levar brought the house down with something he said to Shatner. I'm having trouble remembering the context, but I think Shatner had brought up working with James Doohan and, again, Shatner being Shatner, he wouldn't let Levar finish what he was saying, so Levar just screamed out, "HE'S DEAD, JIM!"

Old June 10 2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post

Well, Shatner also mentioned that he's in the process of editing a recent documentary he made where he talks about the first two years of TNG and interviews each of the castmembers.

I'm looking forward to seeing that one.
Old June 10 2013, 03:40 AM   #12
Sran
Fleet Captain

Levar brought the house down with something he said to Shatner. I'm having trouble remembering the context, but I think Shatner had brought up working with James Doohan and, again, Shatner being Shatner, he wouldn't let Levar finish what he was saying, so Levar just screamed out, "HE'S DEAD, JIM!"

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 04:05 AM   #13
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I hate you.
Hatred is irrelevant.

--Sran
Good one.
Old June 10 2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Glad you had a good time!

I agree about Sirtis. She is my favorite convention guest. She's hilarious, and very blunt. She doesn't hold back at all.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Amasov
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Glad you had a good time!

I agree about Sirtis. She is my favorite convention guest. She's hilarious, and very blunt. She doesn't hold back at all.

She is. During her and Levar's panel, a few people got up to leave because they had photo ops to head to. Marina calls them out, "Where you going?!"