TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?
Yes, it felt enough like the real thing. 47 77.05%
No, I can only accept what's on TV or film. 10 16.39%
I don't know. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11 2013, 05:31 AM   #91
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

igrokbok wrote: View Post
"What exactly was the point of the Counselor?...

The same reason why TNG had a counselor. That this is a position that has a purpose. Remember, this is the first episode of STC. Who knows how this character will evolve. I have a feeling that since the actress is Vic's fiancee, she'll likely figure prominently... as counselor, advisor, etc."

Jim Kirk already has a "counselor/advisor etc ". His name is Leonard McCoy.
You know the counselor character wouldn't have bothered me, except that it seems from jump that this series is trying use to many TNG elements too quickly. You got both a holodeck scene and a counselor. Hell, you even got Marina Sirtis playing the computer voice.

If you're writing is strong, then relying on stunts like that aren't needed. The counselor character could have easily been a nurse but instead, as a nod to TNG, she was made a counselor. I don't mind nods to other series, as long as it's done in moderation.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:41 AM   #92
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

I think that you reject Enterprise, tells me this whole thread is pointless. Enterprise is canon, whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

And all fan fiction is NOT canon and never will be.

So maybe it fits into your personal vision of what YOU want Star Trek to be, but you have already told me that is meaningless since you reject CBS canon.
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:48 AM   #93
Warped9
Admiral

Loken wrote: View Post
I think that you reject Enterprise, tells me this whole thread is pointless. Enterprise is canon, whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

And all fan fiction is NOT canon and never will be.

So maybe it fits into your personal vision of what YOU want Star Trek to be, but you have already told me that is meaningless since you reject CBS canon.
I don't have to accept a damned thing. And neither do the creators of STC.
Old June 11 2013, 07:30 AM   #94
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Still, Warped9, you have to admit that by completely disavowing any officially produced series or film after 1991, you really are being something of a hypocrite about this. Shows and movies actually made by the people who own STAR TREK don't pass muster, yet you have the gall to ask if the latest fan production does? Seriously?

And even if you don't see the hypocrisy of it, or even admit that yeah, maybe it's a bit two faced to get so high and mighty about it, especially given that up until quite recently your expiration date, as it were for "good STAR TREK" was 1979, i think you'd be a little more magnanimous toward Loken who was simply observing a flaw in your logic, particularly given your nebulous idea of what constitutes "canon" to begin with.

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 11 2013 at 07:50 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:15 AM   #95
Pingfah
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I don't have to accept a damned thing.
More importantly, it doesn't matter what you do or do not accept. What is, is, regardless of your internal fantasies.
Old June 11 2013, 11:12 AM   #96
Warped9
Admiral

There is no hypocrisy. The question posed is whether anyone might consider this fan production good enough to be included alongside the rest of TOS. It's asking for a personal opinion. It isn't asking whether TPTB should accept it because it's given they never will.

The issue that I ignore most of contemporary Trek isn't hypocrisy. It's my personal choice just as I might not choose to collect an entire set of whatever simply because it doesn't suit me, and there is no law that compels me to either.

One thing very apparent to me, as well, is that I enjoyed "Pilgrim Of Eternity" far more than all the contemporary stuff I ignore. In this the issue of what is "official" is completely irrelevant.
Old June 11 2013, 11:38 AM   #97
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The issue of what is "official" is completely irrelevant.
Then so is asking if this production is "official enough" or not.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:40 AM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The issue of what is "official" is completely irrelevant.
Then so is asking if this production is "official enough" or not.
How many times times does it have to be said? It's asking for a personal opinion!

If you don't want to participate than go elsewhere and talk about something that interests you.

Or do you need a government issue certificate of approval telling what you can or cannot like and enjoy?
Old June 11 2013, 03:00 PM   #99
Avon
Fleet Captain

except when i gave a personal opinion that was not completely 'yes this is awesome' you said this wasn't the place for that.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 03:59 PM   #100
Warped9
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
except when i gave a personal opinion that was not completely 'yes this is awesome' you said this wasn't the place for that.
I never said any such thing. If you don't like it then fine.

I was called hypocritical because I like a fan production while ignoring productions of "official" Trek. There is no hypocrisy in that whatsoever.
Old June 11 2013, 05:00 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

So from that perspective do you feel Star Trek Continues: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is good enough to be considered as part of your sense of TOS' continuity?
You loaded the "No" option to make people look like they're inflexible if they want to vote against it being part of their personal continuity. Why makes the questions loaded? Why not a simple 'yes' or 'no' without the qualifiers?
Old June 11 2013, 05:51 PM   #102
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

So from that perspective do you feel Star Trek Continues: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is good enough to be considered as part of your sense of TOS' continuity?
You loaded the "No" option to make people look like they're inflexible if they want to vote against it being part of their personal continuity. Why makes the questions loaded? Why not a simple 'yes' or 'no' without the qualifiers?
Bullshit!

I've had it with this. Just fuck it. You want to answer "no" than just say it and explain your reasons. Instead you like to be pissy about it.

To hell with it. I'm fed up with being scolded like a bad child just because I don't suck up everything cranked out with a brand on it. If I think something is shit then that's my business and I have nothing to apologize for.

Fuck it.
Old June 11 2013, 05:57 PM   #103
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

O...kay then.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:00 PM   #104
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I've had it with this. Just fuck it. You want to answer "no" than just say it and explain your reasons. Instead you like to be pissy about it.

To hell with it. I'm fed up with being scolded like a bad child just because I don't suck up everything cranked out with a brand on it. If I think something is shit then that's my business and I have nothing to apologize for.

Fuck it.

I did answer it earlier in the thread. But you deep-sixed your own poll because of your dislike of certain material. You'd have gotten a better sampling if you'd simply put it up for a 'yes' or 'no' vote.

BillJ wrote:
I think efforts like these, while neat, only magnify the fact that Roddenberry and Company caught some very special lightning in the bottle nearly fifty years ago.

Pilgrims of Eternity was entertaining but suffers from many of the same flaws other TOS fan films: they use sixties sets and sixties uniforms but the stories just don't match the setting.

Some thoughts:

What exactly was the point of the Counselor? Beautiful actress though. Gene would've approved.

Why didn't the crispy-fried redshirt point his phaser away from the hull?

The roles the women played here made the Abrams films look downright progressive.

So, does a plague wipe out Apollo's little world at some point and then he holds Kirk responsible for not checking up on them? The Wrath of Apollo anyone?

Spock reminds me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. That's not a good thing.

The actor playing Kirk needs to remember he's playing Kirk not William Shatner.
Old June 11 2013, 07:21 PM   #105
beamMe
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Bullshit!

Fuck it.
Didn't we learn that the fan-productions also have an in-officially official stamp/brand of approval from CBS on them?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote