MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?
Yes, it felt enough like the real thing. 47 77.05%
No, I can only accept what's on TV or film. 10 16.39%
I don't know. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2013, 04:08 AM   #46
Marsden
Commander

Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

I just watched it. I'm really liked it and next time I watch "Who Mourns for Adonais?" I'm going to have this in the back of my mind similar to watching "Space Seed" and WoK. It's a continuation for me.

I know I'm going to get lots of rejection for this, but I enjoyed it a lot more than that movie that came out in 2009.
Old June 3 2013, 04:32 AM   #47
Avon
Fleet Captain

Marsden wrote: View Post

I know I'm going to get lots of rejection for this, but I enjoyed it a lot more than that movie that came out in 2009.
anythings better than Bride Wars

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 04:35 AM   #48
Warped9
Admiral

Welcome to the party.
Old June 3 2013, 05:19 AM   #49
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I didn't get that from his sentence at all.
He was exactly right.

If you're a big fan of TOS, I don't understand why you wouldn't jump at the chance to watch a fan-produced series in that era. There's no way to know BEFORE you watch it that you don't like it, after all.

I keep up with Barbreader's list and watch them all. Some of them are real stinkers, but there's always the expectation that I might enjoy the next one. And there are hardly any in which I don't enjoy something.
Old June 3 2013, 09:03 AM   #50
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I liked "Pilgrim of Eternity" a lot. I think it felt like the Star Trek I used to watch from my grandparent's rug more than any other fan film I've seen.

But I don't have a personal continuity.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:15 AM   #51
J. Allen
Has All New Cheap Moves

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

junxon wrote: View Post

anythings better than Bride Wars
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 10:24 AM   #52
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I wish Trek fan films weren't so obsessed about continuity and making 100%-accurate uniforms and sets. It only emphasizes that these are not Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and the rest that we're watching.
Old June 3 2013, 11:13 AM   #53
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I wish Trek fan films weren't so obsessed about continuity and making 100%-accurate uniforms and sets. It only emphasizes that these are not Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and the rest that we're watching.
Oh, I don't agree. Seeing the old sets and costumes again is a big part of the fun!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:31 AM   #54
Warped9
Admiral

The Phase II folks seem more inclined to deviate more. Part of that I get from how the f/x are done which (as I mentioned earlier) make me think of TOS-R or a more contemporary production. The STC folks look more like recreating the original ambiance and the f/x, while albeit clean and finished, are definitely meant to evoke the original look.

Casting definitely has an impact. The only one on the Phase II cast that really works for me is Chekov. I just can't buy any of the others as the original characters. That said the STC isn't perfect, but no cast really can be. I will say in general I prefer the STC cast to the JJverse cast. Larry Nemecek isn't bad for what he's doing, but he just doesn't really evoke McCoy. Grant Imihara needs to dial it back some. Haberkorm needs to have his hair fixed.

Context matters too. I'll watch the Phase II productions for the stories because otherwise there's a lot that I find distracting. The STC production, so far, just floors me in how much it feels like the original series. But both productions generally respect the original source materiel.

Last edited by Warped9; June 3 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 02:05 PM   #55
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I just watched it. I'm really liked it and next time I watch "Who Mourns for Adonais?" . . .

Hey, yeah, that's a good point about "Adonais." People who read the novels must have similar experiences when they tie in to episodes.

And I too "enjoyed" Pilgrim way more than the current movies. But many people loved 'em, so that's fine too.
Old June 3 2013, 03:52 PM   #56
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Try The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/90.html from England. Set after the Dominion war and a conflict with the Borg that was so expensive the Federation could not afford uniforms, this follow-up series to a teen trek series (Star Trek Unity) is the work of film school students in England. It has used the Iconians to explain introducing ideas from other sci fi franchises, from Stargate to Dr. Who.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 06:05 PM   #57
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I didn't get Jeff Quinn's Spock at first, but I missed him when he was gone.
Nothing against Nimoy and Quinto, but Quinn IS Spock to me

Really too bad we've only seen him from behind in Star Trek ('09).
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 09:09 PM   #58
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Try The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/90.html from England. Set after the Dominion war and a conflict with the Borg that was so expensive the Federation could not afford uniforms, this follow-up series to a teen trek series (Star Trek Unity) is the work of film school students in England. It has used the Iconians to explain introducing ideas from other sci fi franchises, from Stargate to Dr. Who.
How could the Federation not afford uniforms in the age of replicators?
Old June 3 2013, 11:23 PM   #59
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Barbreader wrote: View Post
How could the Federation not afford uniforms in the age of replicators?
Sounds like they wrote in a reason to justify the wardrobe department's shoestring budget.
Old June 5 2013, 02:35 AM   #60
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

The original Star Trek Unity was started when they ranged in age from 11 to 14. The series has continued as they have become adults... I strongly encourage all who do not madly love watching fan films (which means almost everyone but me) to start with "The Further Adventures..." rather than their original series, even though I frankly think Luke Sutton could write better stories at 13 than most people can at 30. The kid series literally sometimes used Crayon drawing for space battles. The current series uses uniforms, greens screens, and has had interaction between animated aliens and live action. The technical growth in this series is the most in any Star Trek Fan Film series.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote