Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?
Yes, it felt enough like the real thing. 47 77.05%
No, I can only accept what's on TV or film. 10 16.39%
I don't know. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2 2013, 01:14 PM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

boobatuba wrote: View Post
And I hate option B. If for instance, I didn't think this film was good enough for my sense of continuity, it would not necessarily follow that I only accept what's on TV or film. Other fan films might qualify. The answer just doesn't make sense.

Pass.
This, coupled with the absence of any other 'No' option, covers my initial reaction.
Old June 2 2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Avon
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
the title of this thread is 'is it good enough?'

so saying 'no' should be part of the spectrum

otherwise the thread should be 'it's good and you should all agree'
That's your interpretation and you are essentially proving my point.

I don't care for certain series and films so I generally stay out of those threads and forums because why should I want to discuss those things if I'm not interested in them. I generally restrict my remarks regarding those series or films when they are brought into threads or forums I do participate in.
so whats the point in asking 'is it good enough?' then telling people they can't have a different opinion?

and then why did you make negative comments in for example, the 'original star trek with jj abrams verse' thread? makes that last paragraph very hypocritical

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

I give up.

and then why did you make negative comments in for example, the 'original star trek with jj abrams verse' thread? makes that last paragraph very hypocritical
You bring the JJverse into the TOS forum and you're fair game if I don't agree with it.

Mods, you might as well close this.
Old June 2 2013, 02:56 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I haven't watched it (yet).

But the only thing I care about is if its entertaining. I don't need it fit into some type of continuity to enjoy it.
Old June 2 2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Avon
Fleet Captain

I give up.

You bring the JJverse into the TOS forum and you're fair game if I don't agree with it.

Mods, you might as well close this.
and this is about a fan film in the fan film forum so it's the place to talk about it. i don't even think 'pilgrim of eternity' was that bad a fan film, but not being welcome to express that alternate opinion is weird.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
But the only thing I care about is if its entertaining. I don't need it fit into some type of continuity to enjoy it.
Which is another point I agree with. New Voyages/Phase II's To Serve All My Days fits this category, for instance; the way in which TSAMD didn't fit into canon was in fact the thing I enjoyed most about it.
Old June 2 2013, 03:27 PM   #22
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Which is another point I agree with. New Voyages/Phase II's To Serve All My Days fits this category, for instance; the way in which it didn't fit into canon was in fact the thing I enjoyed most about it.
Right. Our sense (chiefly Dorothy Fontana's sense, since she wrote our "To Serve All My Days" script) was that the dramatic way the story resolved was far superior to adhering to a preconceived understanding of characters' futures.

We should start a poll: Is "To Serve All My Days" good enough?

In fact, let's generate a similar poll for each and every fan effort as it gets released so people vote on whether it's "good enough."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Captain Atkin
Commander

As far as I am concerned, Star Trek: Continues and Star Trek: Phase II both take place in alternate universes. They are not a part of the official canon and they never will be (the studio would never allow it). I am a fan of Phase II and I enjoyed Star Trek: Continues first episode, but without Shatner and Nimoy on the bridge of the USS Enterprise, it just isn't official canon to me. If anything, these series should be able enjoy a canon of their own, much in the same way that the books and comics do. These series are good enough to stand on their own, while still honoring the original series.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 04:38 PM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
As far as I am concerned, Star Trek: Continues and Star Trek: Phase II both take place in alternate universes. They are not a part of the official canon and they never will be (the studio would never allow it). I am a fan of Phase II and I enjoyed Star Trek: Continues first episode, but without Shatner and Nimoy on the bridge of the USS Enterprise, it just isn't official canon to me. If anything, these series should be able enjoy a canon of their own, much in the same way that the books and comics do. These series are good enough to stand on their own, while still honoring the original series.
There ya go. Thank you. This is a reasonable answer (and setting aside that we already know TPTB would never acknowledge it).
Old June 2 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I really don't have an unofficial continuity in my head. Partly because official Trek was/is so often contradictory. But watching this felt like episode 80, if that tells ya anything. Now I gotta check out Phase II. Anyone recommend the best ep of theirs to start with?

Last edited by GSchnitzer; June 2 2013 at 05:36 PM.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 05:36 PM   #26
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

plynch wrote: View Post
I really don't have an unofficial continuity in my head. Partly because official Trek was/is so often contradictory. But watching this felt like episode 80, if that tells ya anything. Now I gotta check out Phase II. Anyone recommend the best ep of theirs to start with?
You could watch them in order (see below). But if you start with our not-too-good early ones, you might become disinclined to watch later, better ones. If you start with the better ones, you'll become disappointed if you hope for the same quality when you watch earlier ones.

I think there's consensus that "World Enough and Time" with George Takei as Sulu has the broadest appeal--sort of like Star Trek IV with the whales. I guess I'd start with that one. And then the episode written by David ("The Trouble With Tribbles") Gerrold, that he originally wrote as a never-actually-got-made Next Generation episode: "Blood and Fire."

Episode 0 (Pilot Episode): "Come What May"
Release: January 16, 2004
Running Time: 39:45

Episode 1: "In Harm's Way"
Release: October 8, 2004
Running Time: 57:29

Vignette 1: "Center Seat"
Release: March 17, 2006
Running Time: 5:46

Episode 2: "To Serve All My Days"
Release: November 23, 2006
Running Time: 59:59

Episode 3:"World Enough and Time"
Release: August 23, 2007
Running Time: 64:26

Episode 4: "Blood and Fire, Part One"
Release: December 20, 2008
Running Time: 43:47

Episode 5: "Blood and Fire, Part Two"
Release: November 20, 2009
Running Time: 54:54

Episode 6: "Enemy: Starfleet!" (working title was "Enemy Starfleet")
Release: April 16, 2011
Running Time: 58:06

Vignette 2: "No Win Scenario"
Release: October 8, 2011
Running Time: 8:59

Episode 7: "The Child"
Release: 4/2012
Running Time: TBD
Old June 2 2013, 05:58 PM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Now I gotta check out Phase II. Anyone recommend the best ep of theirs to start with?
I've watched a few so far.

It's been awhile since I saw Starship Exeter Episode 1, but I recall thinking that while I could quibble about some things I was taken by their overall enthusiasm. I also quite liked the Captain Garrovick and Science Officer Harris characters. Starship Exeterhas an advantage in that by having original characters they can somewhat sidestep being compared directly with TOS' original cast. I thought Episode 2 was a better effort overall, but alas that episode isn't complete with the fourth act still missing.

Not long ago I watched The New Voyages' "In Harm's Way." I can only say that I thought it didn't really work for me. The cast weren't convincing enough for me and the story was just too...contrived. It struck me as something I might have seen in a Marvel or DC issue or fanfic.

Last night I watched "To Serve All My Days." I don't want to say too much for fear of letting out spoilers for those who haven't seen it. I thought it was much better overall than "In Harm's Way" with a fresher story. The cast performed better all around, but I still don't find them convincing enough, enough that I could imagine the original cast saying the lines. The post production f/x and scenes do tend to distract me because they look to have more in common with TOS-R rather than TOS. I thought the Federation Ambassador was good, but the stand out performances were from Chekov, both of them. It goes without saying Walter Koenig still has his acting chops portraying the older Chekov, but what also impressed me was the guy portraying the young Chekov---I thought he was great and very convincing.

I've also watched "Center Seat" and "No Win Scenario" which are really vignettes. They didn't work for me.

I've yet to see further TNV/PHII episodes, but I do plan on watching them. I'm particularly curious about "Blood and Fire" since I recently read David Gerrold's original novel which is set in his Star Wolf universe.
Old June 2 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Last night I watched "To Serve All My Days."...I thought the Federation Ambassador was good, but the stand out performances were from Chekov, both of them. It goes without saying Walter Koenig still has his acting chops portraying the older Chekov, but what also impressed me was the guy portraying the young Chekov---I thought he was great and very convincing.
It was too good of an opportunity to pass up to cast Mary Linda Rappleye as Ambassador Rayna. After having her play Chekov's former hippie irlfriend Irina in "The Way to Eden," seeing her play against Walter Koenig again in "To Serve All My Days" was a lot of fun.

I think the visual effects Doug Drexler has done for us have evolved over time. What he wanted to do for his CGI Enterprise in our earliest episodes has changed over time; his style now seems more in keeping with old TOS. We gave him pretty free reign to do what he wanted. But I agree that his latest efforts on STC look great!

All our episodes have something worthwhile--but admittedly they usually come with some warts, too.
Old June 2 2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
It was too good of an opportunity to pass up to cast Mary Linda Rappleye as Ambassador Rayna. After having her play Chekov's former hippie irlfriend Irina in "The Way to Eden," seeing her play against Walter Koenig again in "To Serve All My Days" was a lot of fun.
OMG! That's where she's from! I kept trying to place her from somewhere yet it eluded me.
Old June 2 2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Warped9
Admiral

Just finished watching the two part "Blood and Fire." It quite closely follows the original novel. There are some changes, of course, by needing to fit within the Star Trek universe.

It's a good story, but there's no way it could have been told in the '60s, at least not with the open depiction of gay characters. But I don't know if that's really relevant to the overall story. It could have been told on TNG, but of course they chose not to do that.