Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 2 2013, 11:39 PM   #226
sj4iy
Commander

Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
I would love a female Doctor. I could see it succeeding and being a lot of fun. I mean, imagine if Jenny hadn't just been around for one episode...that gives us a clue. But I'd just say that Moffat would have to leave or they have to get more female writers in, or otherwise she'll end up like River, with insufferable smugness.
The Doctor IS insufferably smug anyway, male or female. Not sure how a smug woman is worse than a smug man.

"Fear me. I've killed all of them."
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:41 AM   #227
Neroon
Mod of balance

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Holy shit.

Holy holy holy shit.

Stop posting this crap. Full stop, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
What forum rule have I broken exactly? Not being difficult, would just like to know as it felt like I was just expressing a minority opinion?

Wouldn't it be better if people just debated my points instead of just telling me to shut up? Or maybe I'm being completely unreasonable here?
Please remember that when you have a problem with a moderator action you need to take it up with said moderator in private.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It seems I've been watching a different show than some people here. When did a woman hit a man? I honestly can't remember any of those scenes.

From "The Impossible Astronaut"
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:46 AM   #228
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

^ Yeah. And Clara's punching. But that was obviously played for laughs.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:53 AM   #229
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

He deserves it in Impossible astronant. She is slapping him for putting her through that twice. Once as the girl in the suit and making her watch it. She is probably also trying to keep up appearences, since she can't let on that she knows what actually happened.

I don't remember any other slapping. I remember Rory hitting him but that is about it.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #230
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

chelly wrote: View Post
He deserves it in Impossible astronant. She is slapping him for putting her through that twice. Once as the girl in the suit and making her watch it. *she is also keeping up appearences since she knows what is happening*
Yes but I agree it would be a double standard. If the Doctor slapped a woman for ANY reason, or say, pushed her against a wall even, women's groups would be up in arms.
Old June 3 2013, 01:11 AM   #231
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

Yes it would be a double standard if he slapped river and we got upset over that. I just don't see dalekjim's idea that all the women are treated badly or they treat the men badly. I have no problem with the women or how they are written.

I would have no problem with a female doctor. As long as it is what they want to do and not catering to a small but extremely loud group in the fanbase. (or basically a ratings ploy)
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 01:20 AM   #232
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Forgot that Clara also slapped him in Nightmare in Silver. Again, it had context though.
Old June 3 2013, 02:33 AM   #233
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I guess they solved the problem of what Doctor will be shown in December for the Doctors Revisted on BBC-A, the 12th month: the 12th Doctors episode.
Old June 3 2013, 03:33 AM   #234
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Wouldn't it be better if people just debated my points instead of just telling me to shut up? Or maybe I'm being completely unreasonable here?
You haven't made any "points," and you are being unreasonable.

"women live life as consequence-free bitches" is probably the most reprehensible string of words I've ever seen on Trek BBS. Drop this shit, immediately.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:42 AM   #235
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Truths.
Old June 3 2013, 03:50 AM   #236
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'd like more historical stories. Preferably more set in other countries, and preferably a few "pure" historicals featuring no aliens. History is interesting on its own.
I would totally dig a pure historical. Unfotunately, I think I read somewhere that BBC now considers the show to be strictly science fiction, and a historical isn't even likely with the novels or audios let alone the show itself.

Which I think is a bit shortsighted. Yeah, it's fun seeing cyborgs in the wild west, Daleks with Churchill, Silurians and Sontarans in Victorian times, and so on, I think a historical done properly has the potential to be the stand out episode of the season. Especially it basically be new ground for the new series to cover.
Old June 3 2013, 03:58 AM   #237
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

The audios do a straight historical or two per year, I'd say, which is about right. It's a limited genre.
Old June 3 2013, 03:59 AM   #238
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I'd love more pure sci-fi settings but the problem is I don't like the choices they make. Star Whales. Dystopia. More dystopia. A huge library planet but it's turned into a horror story. More horror and more dystopia. New Earth was first about zombies and then dystopian monsters that ate cars.

The Rings of Akhaten had a really cool setting though. More of that in the future, please.
Old June 3 2013, 04:08 AM   #239
The Wormhole
Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
It's a limited genre.
Sure, but there's definitely room for the TV series to do one historical episode after eight years.
Old June 3 2013, 09:50 AM   #240
Starkers
Admiral

I never get the problem people would have with a true historical that didn't feature a monster? It is a bit silly to suggest that every era of human hisotry was filled with aliens, and I don't see why a pirate, or a king, or an Aztec priest or a 20's mobster couldn't be just as good a villain if he didn't have a Dalek hidden away directing his every move!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote