Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 1 2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Ensign Ricky
Ensign

Why did Spock show emotion around Pike?

Why did Spock show emotion around Pike? Did Pike tell Spock to "knock-off the act" or something?
Ensign Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Why did Spock show emotion around Pike?

Originally, Number One was going to be the cold logical one. When the network insisted they get rid of her and Spock, Roddenberry knew he could only fight to keep one of them, so he got rid of Number One and fought to keep Spock. In doing so, he basically put Number One's personality onto Spock, making him the logical and emotionless one. And he also married Number One. His logic was that he couldn't have done it the other way around.

Then he slapped a blonde wig on the actress that played Number One and brought her back as Nurse Chapel, and no one realised it was the same person.

That's the real world reason, anyway. There was never an in-universe reason given.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:49 AM   #3
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

No one realized it was her!?!? I did!

I think spocks character was constantly changing, nimoy was always working on developing him. In the original pilot He speaks very loud and demanding tone, later on in the series he tells someone there is no need to raise his voice in the corbomite maneuver!?!?

He ses much more alien in the original pilot to me... He almost smiles saying..." Ahhh an earth emotion"

--- point is Spock seemed to change episode to episode from my point of view
Old June 1 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
Lance
Fleet Captain

Absolutely. Even after the cold and unemotional aspects of Number One were transfered to the Spock character in the second pilot, it took probably six or seven episodes for that to really drip down into Nimoy's performance.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim nobody noticed Majel came back just because of a blond wig. 'Inside Star Trek' tells of an amusing anecdote where one of the NBC suits (who was present at the beginning during the production of the pilots) was talking to Herb Solow, and they made the comment "Well, look who came back..." They could have made Roddenberry fire her again, but they decided to let it slide.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:13 AM   #5
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nurse chapel is hot, I'm glad she stuck around... Heck she even ended up "secretly" loving the one who replaced her lol
Old June 1 2013, 04:41 AM   #6
nightwind1
Commodore

In the Pike novel "Burning Dreams", they make mention that being earlier in his interactions with humans, Spock was experimenting with how to fit in with them. So he tended to exaggerate things.

Later, he decided humans would be okay with him using a more standard Vulcan way of interacting with them.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:53 AM   #7
TheSubCommander
Captain

Well, in This Side of Paradise didn't Spock and Liela have a past relationship of sorts, that Spock couldn't fully exppress, but definitely was conflicted? Maybe younger Spock didn't have a grip on his emotions fully until well into his service with Pike?

Quinto-Spock definitely doesn't have control over his emotions the way Nimoy-Spock traditionally did, and Quinto-Spock is right around the same age Nimoy-Spock was when he was serving under Pike.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:08 AM   #8
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

In an interview with Leonard, he said he was emotional since Jeffery Hunter was so stern and cold, Leonard lightened things up as Spock.
Old June 1 2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Morpheus 02
Commodore

CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
In an interview with Leonard, he said he was emotional since Jeffery Hunter was so stern and cold, Leonard lightened things up as Spock.
With Pike AND Number One both so "unemotional", that acting choices seems logical to me.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Harvey
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Originally, Number One was going to be the cold logical one. When the network insisted they get rid of her and Spock, Roddenberry knew he could only fight to keep one of them, so he got rid of Number One and fought to keep Spock. In doing so, he basically put Number One's personality onto Spock, making him the logical and emotionless one. And he also married Number One. His logic was that he couldn't have done it the other way around.

Then he slapped a blonde wig on the actress that played Number One and brought her back as Nurse Chapel, and no one realised it was the same person.
When it comes to Majel, that's Roddenberry's explanation, but it doesn't line up with the version Solow and Justman tell in their book. Personally, I think their version is more credible.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 06:21 AM   #11
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
With Pike AND Number One both so "unemotional", that acting choices seems logical to me.
And In the end we got Shatner and Kelley so Destiny fell well into place.
Old June 1 2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Tiberius
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post

When it comes to Majel, that's Roddenberry's explanation, but it doesn't line up with the version Solow and Justman tell in their book. Personally, I think their version is more credible.
What is the story they tell?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:12 AM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Originally, Number One was going to be the cold logical one. When the network insisted they get rid of her ...
What is the story they tell?
The execs in New York didn't want to get rid of the character of Number One, they wanted Roddenberry to recast the role.

The network executives loved the idea of a female first officer. This was the mid-sixties, the beginning of woman's lib, women in the workplace, women controlling more decisions about the spending of money. Having a high ranking woman in the cast made excellent business sense.

However they really didn't want Majel Barrett.

While her acting in the pilot was good, they didn't feel that she possessed the professional credentials for what would be second or third billing on the show. And more than a few of the network executives had a problem with the fact that Gene Roddenberry (a married man) was putting his girl friend up for the role. Roddenberry was told to keep the female first officer character, but to recast the role with a different actress.

Obviously in the second pilot, James Kirk didn't have a female first officer.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:34 AM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I find it fascinating how fans and professional writers turned Spock's early behaviour into part of his character. D.C. Fontana wrote a more emotional Spock in her Pike-era novel Vulcan's Glory (Casual sex? Logical) and Peter David had the younger Spock idolizing Number One and envying her emotional control (The Rift, I think?). The new movies have taken the younger, more volatile Spock and pushed him past the breaking point.
Old June 1 2013, 12:48 PM   #15
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

I love Nimoy-Spock. Although he some times shows emotion in the series. It's pointed out quite often that he is also human. And his father, although unwilling to admit it, does seem proud of his son. It's not that they don't have emotions, but they control them and set them aside (which is mentioned a few times, i beleive). I'll accept the explanation that Spock has greater difficulty controlling his emotions than vulcans usually do. (the new Spock is going a bit overboard on that though)

In any case, i would excuse Spock anything because I'm blinded by love, I gues. :P
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote