Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 8 2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Theta-Class

I was wondering if anyone had/knew of/was working on plans of the "Theta-Class" raider seen in 'Gambit' (TNG) and 'Vortex' (DS9)?

Cheers.
Old July 9 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Theta-Class

pic?
Old July 9 2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Dukhat
Commodore

He's talking about the Miradorn raider seen in DS9's "Vortex" and reused as Baran's pirate ship in TNG's "Gambit."

To answer your question, the only "official" schematics are from the Star Trek Fact Files. Official is in quotes because their drawing is highly inaccurate to the actual model:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/pirate.jpg

The Miradorn raider model was a great design that was completely wasted. The Miradorn were never seen again, and after the reuse for the pirate ship, the model was never reused again. That's quite a shame, because its design is very reminiscent of a more-advanced Klingon BoP. That's what it should have been used for, IMHO, and the movie BoP should have been phased out:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu.../vortex199.jpg
Old July 10 2014, 12:25 AM   #4
varek
Commander

They were kind of cool-looking! But, I wonder if those extended wings might be more vulnerable to enemy fire than if the vessel were more aerodynamically designed--more like an arrow.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

^It's no more vulnerable than a Klingon Bird of Prey. And why does a spacecraft need to be aerodynamically designed?
Old July 10 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
t_smitts
Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post
He's talking about the Miradorn raider seen in DS9's "Vortex" and reused as Baran's pirate ship in TNG's "Gambit."

To answer your question, the only "official" schematics are from the Star Trek Fact Files. Official is in quotes because their drawing is highly inaccurate to the actual model:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/pirate.jpg

The Miradorn raider model was a great design that was completely wasted. The Miradorn were never seen again, and after the reuse for the pirate ship, the model was never reused again. That's quite a shame, because its design is very reminiscent of a more-advanced Klingon BoP. That's what it should have been used for, IMHO, and the movie BoP should have been phased out:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu.../vortex199.jpg
Actually, the model was used once more as the Tareisian ship in the Voyager episode "Favorite Son". (It was also included with the third Micro Machine set).

As for phasing out the BoP? Naaah!
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Actually, the model was used once more as the Tareisian ship in the Voyager episode "Favorite Son". (It was also included with the third Micro Machine set).
Thanks, I'd forgotten that one.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it is
Old July 10 2014, 10:12 PM   #8
t_smitts
Commander

Thanks, I'd forgotten that one.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it is
I guess they just didn't have any particular reason to show the Miradorn again, especially when some far more compelling aliens would be introduced the following season.

They did reuse the model twice, though I think if you recycle a model a lot (especially without modifying it, as they did with most other alien-of-the-week ships), it gets easier to spot and it can start taking you out of the episode.

It's certainly an aggressive-looking ship (though not as much as, say, the enemy ship in "Fight or Flight"), but I'm not sure it would work as a Klingon ship.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Dukhat
Commodore

It's certainly an aggressive-looking ship (though not as much as, say, the enemy ship in "Fight or Flight"), but I'm not sure it would work as a Klingon ship.
Well considering that the Klingons used alien vessel designs on no less than three occasions (the Cardassian freighter Groumall, the Vidiian ship which was a redress of the Merchantman, and the Promellian battlecruiser, none of which looked like Klingon ships either), I see no problem in them 'acquiring' the Miradorn raider as a new BoP.
Old July 13 2014, 03:37 PM   #10
varek
Commander

^It's no more vulnerable than a Klingon Bird of Prey. And why does a spacecraft need to be aerodynamically designed?
It would not need to be aerodynamically designed for interstellar space, or even orbiting a planet, but it might be good for ships designed to enter a planet's atmosphere and to even land on a planet.

It's probably no big deal, but it just is a question of aesthetics.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 09:51 PM   #11
publiusr
Commodore

I think of it as the Klingon Defiant, and the Miradorn just bought or stole one from the triangle.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

I rather like to think of it as the loss leader from Honest Harry's Buccaneering Vessels: it's very similar conceptually to what we saw of the Orion ship in TAS "Pirates of Orion", and was in pirate hands in the TNG and DS9 episodes as well. Perhaps those tentacle-like components are how you do Menacing on a discount? Or how you grapple ships you have first disabled with the weapons mounted in the main body of the vessel?

ENT showed us what Orion design looks like in the 22nd century, but this angular-tentacle fashion could either be what the Orions adopted a century later, or what they purchased from a third party for their nefarious purposes exactly because it so radically differed from the classical Orion ship...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 09:29 PM   #13
publiusr
Commodore

I had forgotten about the TAS Orion ship. It does look similar.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote