Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 1 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Jsplinis
Lieutenant

Abrams chronology and canon questions

It has pretty much been confirmed that Countdown, Countdown to Darkness, Ongoing and the Star Trek Video Game are canon in the Abrams-verses based on interviews with Roberto Orci. However, I was curious about the Nero mini-series. While it is based on story written for Star Trek XI, these scenes were cut and never restored. Additionally, the Klingons in these scenes don't match up to Into Darkness. I know Orci is credited, but it may be in the sense of the cut scenes being written by him for the movie similar to cut scenes in a novelization or the IDW adaption.

Any thoughts or insights?

Also, which happens first, Countdown to Darkness or The Video Game? Both end with them being ordered to Nibiru. But CTD begins with them ordered to Phadeus and I haven't played the game. Could it be that they were ordered to Phadeus first, to drop off April second, then to Nidiru. But on the way to Nibiru they were sidetracked by the events of The Video Game? Thoughts?

Thanks and have fun,
jsplinis
Jsplinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:35 AM   #2
BlueMetroid
Lieutenant

View BlueMetroid's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams chronology and canon questions

I Tweeted Orci and asked the very question you pose...Game or CTD first...he replied with "game first". I hope that helps!
BlueMetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:50 AM   #3
ATimson
Rear Admiral

BlueMetroid wrote: View Post
I Tweeted Orci and asked the very question you pose...Game or CTD first...he replied with "game first". I hope that helps!
Interesting. I think the other way (comic then game) makes much more sense.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Charles Phipps
Commander

I appreciate the attention to detail between Trekverse-1 and Trekverse-2's EU. Both are stupendous.
Old June 1 2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Jsplinis wrote: View Post
It has pretty much been confirmed that Countdown, Countdown to Darkness, Ongoing and the Star Trek Video Game are canon in the Abrams-verses based on interviews with Roberto Orci.
Since when? Orci's said repeatedly over the past several years that he accepts the standard Trek policy that only onscreen material is canon. There was that one time that Anthony Pascale at TrekMovie interviewed him and basically browbeat him into agreeing that the tie-ins should be canon, and Orci said "Okay, they're canon" basically to shut him up, and then retracted it a comment the very next day.

And there are plenty of things in the Ongoing comic that have been blatantly contradicted by Into Darkness -- crewmembers dying in the first two storylines, Sulu holding the conn in a couple of storylines, Scotty continuing to develop transwarp beaming when the film said the tech was confiscated by Starfleet, etc. Countdown had some inconsistencies with the first film as well, like painting a backstory of a Nero-Spock friendship when the dialogue in the film ("He called himself Nero") suggested they'd never met before their clash at the supernova site.

I've been following some of Orci's comments on TrekMovie lately, and frankly I think people take them far too literally and seriously. I think to some extent he just plays along with others' suggestions in a "Sure, why not, whatever you say" kind of manner, rather than issuing formal declarations of official policy.

However, I was curious about the Nero mini-series. While it is based on story written for Star Trek XI, these scenes were cut and never restored. Additionally, the Klingons in these scenes don't match up to Into Darkness.
In what way? If you mean their appearance, the Klingons have had so many designs over the decades that that hardly matters.

I know Orci is credited, but it may be in the sense of the cut scenes being written by him for the movie similar to cut scenes in a novelization or the IDW adaption.
Given the inconsistencies, I suspect he basically just provides some rough outline notes and then leaves it to the comics' writer, who isn't necessarily briefed on every detail of the film.

BlueMetroid wrote: View Post
See, what I was told earlier in another thread was that the game probably came second, because there's a gap of nearly a month between the "stardates" of CTD and STID, even though the ship is ordered to Nibiru at the end of CTD. Being diverted by a distress call as in the game would seem to be the most likely explanation for that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Idran
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've been following some of Orci's comments on TrekMovie lately, and frankly I think people take them far too literally and seriously. I think to some extent he just plays along with others' suggestions in a "Sure, why not, whatever you say" kind of manner, rather than issuing formal declarations of official policy.
Happens in every fandom.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 01:51 AM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

I've been following some of Orci's comments on TrekMovie lately, and frankly I think people take them far too literally and seriously.
Definitely agree with that. Particularly the whole thing about the comics featuring hidden easter eggs for STID which had everyone trpping over themselves thinking every little detail was set-up for the movie.

In the end, what was in the comics that got into the movie? The Return of the Archons story gave us shady Starfleet officers who might be Section 31, the Tribble story could explain why Bones has a dead Tribble in sickbay, and the Scotty origin story had a reference to Admiral Marcus.
Old June 1 2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Jsplinis
Lieutenant

...and the explanation of Mudd's ship is in Countdown to Darkness.
Jsplinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Charles Phipps
Commander

Mudd's wife is finally revealed as a Bajoran woman who took his ship in the divorce!
Old June 1 2013, 02:26 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
In the end, what was in the comics that got into the movie? The Return of the Archons story gave us shady Starfleet officers who might be Section 31, the Tribble story could explain why Bones has a dead Tribble in sickbay, and the Scotty origin story had a reference to Admiral Marcus.
Plus Hendorff's name, and the stuff in Countdown to Darkness. And a running thread in multiple issues about Spock taking reckless chances. And let's see, "Archons" ends with an unseen admiral (presumably Marcus) warning Pike that there will be consequences if Kirk goes rogue again. So a mix of trivial details and things that actually have plot or character significance.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:30 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

Exactly, Countdown to Darkness. I was referring only to the Ongoing series. Countdown to Darkness is seperate.
Old June 1 2013, 02:39 AM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

the Klingons in these scenes don't match up to Into Darkness.
In what way? If you mean their appearance, the Klingons have had so many designs over the decades that that hardly matters.
Exactly. We saw one Klingon with piercings and unusual eye colour. And his crest was a little reminiscent of Colonel Worf's from ST VI. Doesn't mean they all look like that under their helmets.

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
Mudd's wife is finally revealed as a Bajoran woman who took his ship in the divorce!
Has Bajoran been specified? The daughter has a Bajoran-like nose ridge.

I wonder if the comic script suggested she was K'Normian and no one on the art team found that one TMP photo reference?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:50 AM   #13
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Has Bajoran been specified? The daughter has a Bajoran-like nose ridge.
Nothing in the text. I'm still treating her as human (and the ridges as an art error) until a later comic establishes otherwise.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:18 AM   #14
Charles Phipps
Commander

One of my favorite retcons before Enterprise (it was for my home tabletop RPG) is the variation on Klingon appearances is due to Klingons having multiple subraces and citizen races referred to as Klingon.
Old June 1 2013, 03:21 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
One of my favorite retcons before Enterprise (it was for my home tabletop RPG) is the variation on Klingon appearances is due to Klingons having multiple subraces and citizen races referred to as Klingon.
Have you looked at the variations in humans lately?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote