Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 8 2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

Is ANTARCTICA considered still largely unexplored?

I'm hoping that the answer is yes. There is something quaintly appealing about the idea that in this day and age of Google Earth, instant communications etc that far off there might still be one place left on on Earth that is more mystery than anything else. And that who knows what strange and wonderous discoveries might still be made there some day. Kind of like a real life LOST island only its an entire continent.

At the very least it provides good grist for writers who can use it for mysteries and lost worlds beneath the ice.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: Is ANTARCTICA considered still largely unexplored?

I would say that the last great place to explore isn't the Antarctic but the deep ocean which we know so little about. There is probably thousands of species left to discover in the depth of the ocean including some rather large ones.

The most significant unexplored region after the ocean is probably New Guinea.

Also, the deep earth. Scientists are finding lifeforms they never expected living in caves and even further down in the earth.

Edited to add - between 1998 and 2008 more than 1000 new species were discovered in New Guinea. and there are certainly more to come.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; June 8 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I would say that the last great place to explore isn't the Antarctic but the deep ocean which we know so little about. There is probably thousands of species left to discover in the depth of the ocean including some rather large ones.

The most significant unexplored region after the ocean is probably New Guinea.

Also, the deep earth. Scientists are finding lifeforms they never expected living in caves and even further down in the earth.

Edited to add - between 1998 and 2008 more than 1000 new species were discovered in New Guinea. and there are certainly more to come.
The discovery of the life forms in the caves sounds very fascinating. I wonder what will turn up someday that completly shocks the world.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

You might be interested in this

Princeton researchers have discovered a colony of bacteria that lives more than 3 km (2 miles) underground. This bacteria lives completely cut off from the biosphere on the surface of the Earth, and derives its energy from the radioactive decay of rocks underground. By finding life in these extreme conditions, scientists are expanding their understanding of what kinds of habits can support life.
rest of story here
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
I'm hoping that the answer is yes. There is something quaintly appealing about the idea that in this day and age of Google Earth, instant communications etc that far off there might still be one place left on on Earth that is more mystery than anything else. And that who knows what strange and wonderous discoveries might still be made there some day. Kind of like a real life LOST island only its an entire continent.

At the very least it provides good grist for writers who can use it for mysteries and lost worlds beneath the ice.

I would imagine so, but I would also wager more than a little money that if you've seen one part of Antarctica you've pretty much seen it all. Sorry no lost world of dinosaurs to report.
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Antarctica is fascinating. http://www.albedoimages.com/index.html http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/index.php
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
You might be interested in this

Princeton researchers have discovered a colony of bacteria that lives more than 3 km (2 miles) underground. This bacteria lives completely cut off from the biosphere on the surface of the Earth, and derives its energy from the radioactive decay of rocks underground. By finding life in these extreme conditions, scientists are expanding their understanding of what kinds of habits can support life.
rest of story here

Luxury! Sheer luxury.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

I remember a researcher in one of the Popular-magazines told me a falsehood.

I wondered why the ozone hole was over an island continant far away from human emissions, and not over the north pole closer to us. I also seemed to remember some thinning in the north after a volcano.

He said there were no volcanoes in Antarctica.

And yet, here is Erebus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/09/2...sing-slightly/
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote