Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Galaxy Quest Sound Effects

Random observation of the day: the sound effects for the weapons in Galaxy Quest are the very same sound effects for the weapons in Spaceballs.

That reference/in-joke/homage just made my day.

And while we're at it: why was there never a sequel? So much potential.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: Galaxy Quest Sound Effects

I still reckon Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie ever made -- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World coming a close second.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I have to watch Master and Commander again someday, I never got this Star Trek connection everyone mentions.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:00 AM   #4
T J
Commodore

M&C is what a great Trek movie should be like... but in space. Exploring, hunting enemies, harsh conditions away from command... things like that.

And yes, there should have been a sequel to Galaxy Quest... maybe they were afraid they couldn't do a second movie as good as the first and decided to leave it as a one off classic.
Old May 31 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
sojourner
Admiral

^True enough. How many of Mel Brooke's classic comedies had sequels, including the aptly titled History of the World Pt. 1?
Old May 31 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I have to watch Master and Commander again someday, I never got this Star Trek connection everyone mentions.
Trek has been called Horatio Hornblower in space, particularly by Nick Meyer. The Aubrey-Maturin series of novels, one of which was adapted as Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, has some similarities to the Hornblower series.
Old May 31 2013, 05:29 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And while we're at it: why was there never a sequel? So much potential.
The same reason True Lies (aka the best Bond movie) didn't. Quality dilution.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:55 AM   #8
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

T J wrote: View Post
M&C is what a great Trek movie should be like... but in space. Exploring, hunting enemies, harsh conditions away from command... things like that.
I had no idea that one of the most important things about Star Trek is "hunting enemies." Learn something new every day.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 05:58 AM   #9
T J
Commodore

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
T J wrote: View Post
I had no idea that one of the most important things about Star Trek is "hunting enemies." Learn something new every day.
I seem to remember Kirk hunting and chasing down Gorn, Romulans (ala Balance of terror one of the best episodes of TOS), it adds action, tension, loss. Some of the best parts of M&C was the hunt of the bad guys, the action added drama... I'm not saying it's the whole thing but there it is. So yeah, glad ya learned something.
Old May 31 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Mark Johnson, who produced Galaxy Quest, was asked about a sequel recently and said this:

I wish... Itís complicated. I canít get into it because it only gets me angry, because Iím so proud of that movieÖ For a while there, and someday we may actually get there, we actually talked about doing a television show which would be sort of fun because it would be a TV show looking at a movie thatís looking at a TV show, something like that. So I wish I could answer you and I wish we did have a sequel or certainly a half hour comedy based on it. So weíll see. Itís not over.
Old May 31 2013, 03:31 PM   #11
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

A sequel would basically write itself with all that Star Trek reboot and Star Wars sequel stuff going on.

Producers want to reboot Galaxy Quest, spouting stuff like how lame the original was, how pathetic the fans are, etc... the original cast is outraged that they are going to be replaced by a bunch of tweenagers. Especially Tim Allen, because he is not getting asked for a cameo, but Alan Rickman ist. But then they and the reboot cast are sucked into another interstellar adventure aboard the Protector. With time travel and alternate universes, so that they actually do reboot reality.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Mistral
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
A sequel would basically write itself with all that Star Trek reboot and Star Wars sequel stuff going on.

Producers want to reboot Galaxy Quest, spouting stuff like how lame the original was, how pathetic the fans are, etc... the original cast is outraged that they are going to be replaced by a bunch of tweenagers. Especially Tim Allen, because he is not getting asked for a cameo, but Alan Rickman ist. But then they and the reboot cast are sucked into another interstellar adventure aboard the Protector. With time travel and alternate universes, so that they actually do reboot reality.
Get it written and get an agent-I'll pay to see that.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

Galaxy Quest is a very, very funny movie with a smart premise and a great cast. I really don't see any benefit from revisiting it in a new series or movie, though, without suffering from diminishing returns.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

^I agree. Neatly tied up with no loose ends, the quest is over.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Mark Johnson, who produced Galaxy Quest, was asked about a sequel recently and said this:

I wish... Itís complicated. I canít get into it because it only gets me angry, because Iím so proud of that movieÖ For a while there, and someday we may actually get there, we actually talked about doing a television show which would be sort of fun because it would be a TV show looking at a movie thatís looking at a TV show, something like that. So I wish I could answer you and I wish we did have a sequel or certainly a half hour comedy based on it. So weíll see. Itís not over.

Hmmm... He says, "...I wish...It's complicated. I can't get into it because it only gets me angry,..."

...sounds to me like there is some Hollywood shenanigans behind the reason...

...By Grapthar's Hammer, get it done...Make It So!!!...Engage!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote