Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 30 2013, 04:57 PM   #1
RXTT
Lieutenant

Interesting take on THE SISKO

http://padresteve.com/2009/06/14/ben...ilitary-bases/

The above link goes to a great little analysis of THE SISKO and how his mission relates and differs from the missions of the "flagship" Captains like Kirk, Janeway, and Picard.

RXTT.NET
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Interesting take on THE SISKO

It's an interesting viewpoint. I liked DS9 not so much because Sisko was my favorite captain(he isn't) but because of the situations and problems he had to deal with. It's great that Kirk and Picard boldly went to strange new worlds, but next week after they're meeting the new alien of the week, a guy like Sisko's left behind to deal with it.

DS9 was less about introducing us to new aliens(though they certainly did) and more about defining aliens we had already met. The Cardassians were just another generic bad guy of the week when we first met them in TNG. The Bajorans were just another sympathetic alien of the week. Even an old race like the Klingons were fleshed out quite a bit and don't even get me started on the Ferengi as they were in TNG.

The politics of dealing with the same races in a set area made the show interesting and the single setting allowed for all kinds of story and character arcs that a ship on the move wouldn't get. What would DS9 be without it's recurring guest stars like Garak, Weyoun, Dukat, Damar, Rom, Zek, Martok and so forth?

DS9 was a great show more than Sisko was a great captain. As for your article writer Steve, I'd take him a bit more seriously if he could proofread a published article better. Unless Sisco is someone I missed on the show?
Old May 30 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
RXTT
Lieutenant

Maybe he got confused listening to the Thong Song? ha!

It is StarFLEET after all!

RXTT.NET
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

R. Star wrote: View Post
It's an interesting viewpoint. I liked DS9 not so much because Sisko was my favorite captain(he isn't) but because of the situations and problems he had to deal with. It's great that Kirk and Picard boldly went to strange new worlds, but next week after they're meeting the new alien of the week, a guy like Sisko's left behind to deal with it.

DS9 was less about introducing us to new aliens(though they certainly did) and more about defining aliens we had already met. The Cardassians were just another generic bad guy of the week when we first met them in TNG. The Bajorans were just another sympathetic alien of the week. Even an old race like the Klingons were fleshed out quite a bit and don't even get me started on the Ferengi as they were in TNG.

The politics of dealing with the same races in a set area made the show interesting and the single setting allowed for all kinds of story and character arcs that a ship on the move wouldn't get. What would DS9 be without it's recurring guest stars like Garak, Weyoun, Dukat, Damar, Rom, Zek, Martok and so forth?

DS9 was a great show more than Sisko was a great captain. As for your article writer Steve, I'd take him a bit more seriously if he could proofread a published article better. Unless Sisco is someone I missed on the show?
Agreed.

I felt like Sisko was a much different kind of captain. Towards the end, I felt as though he began to take his role as the emissary as his prominent role rather than Starfleet Captain.

I just finished watching the series a few days ago...and right after I watched the last episode What You Leave Behind, I decided for comparison I would watch Emissary. Wow...boy had he changed!