RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,739
Posts: 5,215,426
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 902
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 1 2013, 03:04 AM   #46
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

As far as part one is concerned, Mulgrew was being difficult renegotiating her contract for season 6, and they were leveraging her obstinacy claiming that John Savage would be more than happy to walk in and take over the show if she didn't bend over and take it from their lawyers.

(Oh, does that mean that Mulgrew didn't have to act in all the scenes where she's trying to kill Ransom, because she wanted to stick her foot up John's ass for trying to take her job?)

Think about how they ended season 5 with a flying space beasty going in to eat her face off.

They where creating an exit for Janeway to leave the series "seamlessly" by claiming that it's good that the Captain died now before her mania got any worse.

In the real world if they forced Mulgrew to walk, over a matter of 10 dollars, they didn't even need her presence for part two since any headless mannequin would do, to stand in for the great actress.

Hedging their bets.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:04 AM   #47
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

Guy Gardener wrote:
Kate is just an actress. For a living this woman is paid to say things that are not true with conviction.

Someone told Kate the ratings went up. Then no one told her they went down....
All right, you are saying that Kate Mulgrew lied to us, or she was too stupid to know the ratings of her own show.

Myself, I think she is a savvy actress who knew exactly what was going on with her show. She gave Ryan credit for improving Voyager's ratings again in an interview given two years ago. I think this gave her time to figure out whether or not she was being lied to by this unnamed someone.

Guy Gardener wrote:
The narrative was being controlled and publicists were being paid a lot of money to control it.
OK, the press as a whole was being paid off to make us think that Voyager's ratings were going up. Frankly, this is sounding a tad paranoid to me.

Guy Gardener wrote:
Voyager was never in danger of being cancelled prematurely because Berman was still going to get paid even if there was no Star Trek.
You seem to be shooting down your own point with Berman. Voyager was in no danger of being cancelled, but yet Berman found it necessary to lie to us about Voyager's ratings.

The press in its entirety, Berman, and Kate Mulgrew are all lying to us and you are the only person that was able to figure this out! Shades of Gene Scott at his chalkboard.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #48
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

But you agree that the ratings were going down?

The ratings were going down.

How were the ratings going down if some one was saving the show?

Maybe because no one saved the show?

You said earlier that you believe that Jeri brought in new fans only just slightly slower than Voyager was losing old fans. That the numbers Berman was getting from the Nielson Families was so precise that it could identify the departure of 2 million viewers only to be replaced by a different 1.5 million viewers?

Who on earth told you that?

Admit it.

No one did.

If the ratings got too low, some one is fired, if the ratings get still lower the show is cancelled. Enterprise was scoring less than 1 rating point when it was finally cancelled, Voyager started at 13, and consistently fell each week during season one till the final episode scored a 5.5, 6 years later he ratings hop scotching either side of 3 till the very end when there was a slight bump to 5.5.

Rating's = ad revenue.

Ratings is all that matters.

Artistic merit is not a factor.

Jake 2.0 was cancelled because a rerun of America's Next Top Model airing in it's timeslot during a skipweek got quadruple the ratings Jake 2.0 got.

(What's Jake 2.0?)

This is how I would know that Jeri "saved" the show...

The ratings tripled (which they did not) and everyone would have been asked to sign up for another 7 years on Voyager (which they were not) because the show was too profitable to junk (which it was not).

Most of the shows I like have shit ratings and they're cancelled.

I have funerals for old TV shows in my back yard where I bury old VHS cassette cases, in loving memory.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; June 1 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:14 AM   #49
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But you....etc, etc, etc.

I have answered your stream of consciousness posts again and again. No more until you give me SOMEONE who supports your fanciful position.

Among the sources I've given you to support my position is The New York Times, Kate Mulgrew, the star of the series, and Rick Burman, the executive producer.

What you've given me is your, and only your, fantastical interpretation of the ratings with which no one else agrees.

If you have not built your argument on thin air, prove it by giving me ONE newspaper, actor on the show, producer, or anyone except yourself that agrees with your view:
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It's not clear that she brought new fans to the show.
You are the only one on planet Earth to say that Jeri Ryan did not boost Voyager's ratings.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:29 AM   #50
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

There's really not much evidence that Ryan increased ratings. With the exception of TNG every post TOS Trek show started high and progressively dipped.

__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:42 AM   #51
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

I gave you links to the actual ratings 2 pages ago.

And any one giving you an interpretation of the ratings is either regurgitating those exact same numbers or a liar.

Any one that says that the ratings went consistently up, and stayed up is also a liar, because they went inconsistently down and by year 7 hovered near a point where cancellation was a talking point, even though it was still 3 times what Enterprise had when it was cancelled.

You actually have to have a link to something that verifies your evidence exists, like a link to a pdf or web archive, rather than me trusting your hazy memory on faith because I have no idea what you've done to your brain over the last 20 years.

According to Hanania, Joseph (February 7, 1999). "Signoff: Intergalactic Generation Gap," The New York Times, Voyager's weekly viewer ratings increased by more than 60% after the addition of Jeri Ryan's Seven to the crew.
(Shiiit. You just cut and pasted from Wikipedia.)

The full quote from that article is

When Jeri Ryan joined the cast of ''Star Trek: Voyager'' in its third season, in the fall of 1997, ratings soared 60 percent. They have since remained up, though not at that lofty level, said Rick Berman, an executive producer of the show, UPN's flagship series, shown in New York at 9 on Wednesday nights on WWOR, Channel 9.
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/07/tv...d=print&src=pm

And I followed my link to the actual ratings and I verified that Scorpion part II had increased by %63 from Worst Case Scenario, which by the way had aired 4 months earlier and hardly comparative, considering how someone's life and tastes can change in four months, that Jeri Ryan was one variable out of thousands that could have deviated trends between May and September 1997.

Anyone could also say that That Scorpion Part two had Half the ratings of the Pilot, Caretaker, from 4 years earlier. Caretaker got a 13, and Scorpion part II for a 6.5...

Is this really a moment to be celebrating when 1/2 your audience has wandered off?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; June 1 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:58 PM   #52
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

It's strange that no one in the field is able to interpret those ratings the way you did.

I knew that you couldn't give me one person involved in the series or a newspaper or magazine article from the time to back up you theory, because there aren't any. Sorry.

But for starting from a premise with no facts to back it up, you argued your proffered assumption well.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:21 PM   #53
Shane Houston
Lieutenant Commander
 
Shane Houston's Avatar
 
Location: Louisville Kentucky - Halliwell
View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

Zameaze wrote: View Post
OK, I'll start with an example from "Equinox." (I'd better save the subject of Tuvix for Guy Gardener or some one equally eloquent on the subject).

Janeway tortures Crewman Lessing to get intel on Ransom, against whom she has a personal vendetta. She confines Chakotay to his quarters for stopping her and for telling her that torture is wrong. She tells the aliens that if they'll stop attacking Voyager she'll deliver the Equinox to them. When Tuvok points out that will be certain death for the Equinox crew she threatens to confine him to quarters too.
Then I guess you're hatred for Janeway makes you give Captain Sisko a pass for his vendetta against Michael Eddington. He even orders his crew on the Defiant to fire biogenic weapons at the Marquis settlement, making the planet uninhabitable for 50 years. And threatens to do that to every Marquis planet in the TMZ until Eddington is captured.

Why is it Janeway, who's sole vendetta against Ransom is a legitimate one due to his murder of innocent life forms and attacking her ship, is scrutinized so much while Captain Sisko's vendetta is purely personal, get's ignored?

"Can't you see what's happening to you? You're going against everything you claim to believe in. And for what? To satisfy a personal vendetta?"

"You betrayed your uniform!"

"And you're betraying yours, right now! The sad part is that you don't even realize it. I feel sorry for you, captain. This obsession with me, look what it's cost you!"

"MAJOR, SHUT THAT THING OFF! COMMANDER WORF, PREPARE TO LAUNCH TORPEDOES!"

- Eddington and Sisko, on Sisko's decision to use biological weapons on a Maquis colony


Sisko also ordered the murder of Verad Dax, not unlike your example of Tuvix. I guess another man's worst captain is another man's hero.
__________________
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:06 PM   #54
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

I might be miss remembering, but Verad continued to live after the Dax symbiant had been removed and returned to Jadzia.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:16 PM   #55
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

I love Janeway, but I like Sisko as well.

I don't think there is any "worst" captain. They all made mistakes and yet they were all unique and loyal to Starfleet and their crews. They all got carried away at one point, broke the rules sometimes, made mistakes...that's just how it is.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:20 PM   #56
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander
 
BennieGamali's Avatar
 
Location: Norway.
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

I love Janeway!! I LOVE JANEWAY!!!!!
Also. Janeway IS STRANDED in space. Rules and morals WILL change a little when you think you are doomed and that all your crew are doomed.
And Janeway drinks coffee. So you can all identify yourselves with her.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:42 PM   #57
eskyliz
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I might be miss remembering, but Verad continued to live after the Dax symbiant had been removed and returned to Jadzia.
Well then couldn't you argue that, Tuvix still lived but as two separate people. I don't know. I'm not an expert on Tuvix but that seems right.... TUVIX AND TRILLS ARE JUST SO CONFUSING.
__________________
"That may be the most important thing to understand about humans. It is the unknown that defines our existence. We are constantly searching, not just for answers to our questions, but for new questions. We are explorers." - Captain Sisko
eskyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:07 PM   #58
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

Halliwell wrote: View Post
Zameaze wrote: View Post
OK, I'll start with an example from "Equinox." (I'd better save the subject of Tuvix for Guy Gardener or some one equally eloquent on the subject).

Janeway tortures Crewman Lessing to get intel on Ransom, against whom she has a personal vendetta. She confines Chakotay to his quarters for stopping her and for telling her that torture is wrong. She tells the aliens that if they'll stop attacking Voyager she'll deliver the Equinox to them. When Tuvok points out that will be certain death for the Equinox crew she threatens to confine him to quarters too.
Then I guess you're hatred for Janeway makes you give Captain Sisko a pass for his vendetta against Michael Eddington.
All things considered, I do think that Janeway is a worse captain than Sisko.

I also think that Kate Mulgrew is a much better actor than Avery Brooks.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:18 PM   #59
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

Zameaze wrote: View Post
Halliwell wrote: View Post
Zameaze wrote: View Post
OK, I'll start with an example from "Equinox." (I'd better save the subject of Tuvix for Guy Gardener or some one equally eloquent on the subject).

Janeway tortures Crewman Lessing to get intel on Ransom, against whom she has a personal vendetta. She confines Chakotay to his quarters for stopping her and for telling her that torture is wrong. She tells the aliens that if they'll stop attacking Voyager she'll deliver the Equinox to them. When Tuvok points out that will be certain death for the Equinox crew she threatens to confine him to quarters too.
Then I guess you're hatred for Janeway makes you give Captain Sisko a pass for his vendetta against Michael Eddington.
All things considered, I do think that Janeway is a worse captain than Sisko.

I also think that Kate Mulgrew is a much better actor than Avery Brooks.
As for who was the better captain...how can you truly compare the two...when they were both commanding in MUCH different circumstances. It's almost like apples and oranges. Sisko had back-up from Starfleet and Bajor (although he was also helping to protect Bajor, he also had help from Bajorans such as Kira) and the Klingons. But he also had extra responsibilities because he was the Emissary and a father. Janeway did NOT have support from Starfleet for most of the show since they were lost in space. We never got to see Sisko in that kind of situation. We don't really know how he would have reacted.

As for acting, I prefer Kate Mulgrew also, however I think Avery Brook is also a fine actor.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:19 PM   #60
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

eskyliz wrote: View Post
Well then couldn't you argue that, Tuvix still lived but as two separate people.
Tuvix didn't think so. He argued that he had rights and that he didn't want to die.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.