Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 29 2013, 01:46 AM   #1
jayrath
Fleet Captain

And then Chris Pine pulled out a Tracer Gun (TM)

I love J.J. Trek. I really do. I saw the latest installment two nights ago. I put it in the same category as the Gold Key Comics adventures; a wild, off-topic interpretation. It's so bad it's good. Instant high camp. I can't wait for the third installment, which will surely take up "Spock's Brain" with "Omega Glory" as a secondary storyline. I love J.J. Trek the way I love TOS Viewmaster disks and the TOS Remco toys, especially the helmet with flashing light.

It's all toys.

One proviso: the "Wrath of Khan" authors should file a Writer's Guild complaint. How many direct dialogue steals must the previous writers endure? Hell, they should all have at least received story credit. I hope Gene Coon and Samuel Peeples' heirs get at least half the ticket price.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:57 AM   #2
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: And then Chris Pine pulled out a Tracer Gun (TM)

I really was hoping this new Khan was going to have a great speech/argument scene justifying himself, being ambiguous or sympathetic, not just current-kewl-badguy-to-be-defeated; which, in true kiddie comic book style, he turned into as soon as the plot allowed.

Then they just started replying scenes from a previous mtg, though not nearly so emotional.

Another possible Star Trek-y moment they eschewed: Uhura's talking to Klingons. Why not let her prowess work? Instead somebody just starts shooting for action set-piece #3 or 7 or whatever.

I have little hope for JJ Trek (aka Transformers) III being very Star Trek-y. Probably won't go unless I hear the Trek Old Ones giving it some props.

Yeah, this is a weird incarnation of Trek.
Old May 29 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Captain

jayrath wrote: View Post
I love J.J. Trek. I really do. I saw the latest installment two nights ago. I put it in the same category as the Gold Key Comics adventures; a wild, off-topic interpretation. It's so bad it's good. Instant high camp.
When you put it that way, I can love JJ-Trek too. What a fun way to look at it. It takes all the pressure off and leaves room for the new films to be play-time fun.

http://www.plaidstallions.com/startrek/remco.html

http://www.startrekcomics.info/goldkey.html
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 02:14 AM   #4
jayrath
Fleet Captain

I could go into so many nonsensicalities, such as the new EVIL supership U.S.S. Vengeance. (Gee, sure like to hear what Roddenberry would think of the Starfleet naming committee.) But let's say that Gene would allow for such a thing as the U.S.S. Vengeance.

We have the entire explored galaxy to build this super secret ship. So, um, let's build it two orbits out from Earth, where, any officer with an unauthorized flight plan could discover it?

Oh, wait. One did.

Then the big on-duty Uhura smackaroo to Spock. Very professional, very Starfleet.

Oh, and -- spoiler alert , so leave now --

Shatner-Kirk left his Khan alive and with a bold challenge on a new world. J.J.-Kirk merely refroze the nut. I assume he is in Starfleet's cryo filing cabinet? No Milton poem there. Stand the whole thing on its head, much?
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 02:51 AM   #5
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I love J.J. Trek. I really do. I saw the latest installment two nights ago. I put it in the same category as the Gold Key Comics adventures; a wild, off-topic interpretation. It's so bad it's good. Instant high camp. I can't wait for the third installment, which will surely take up "Spock's Brain" with "Omega Glory" as a secondary storyline. I love J.J. Trek the way I love TOS Viewmaster disks and the TOS Remco toys, especially the helmet with flashing light.

It's all toys.

One proviso: the "Wrath of Khan" authors should file a Writer's Guild complaint. How many direct dialogue steals must the previous writers endure? Hell, they should all have at least received story credit. I hope Gene Coon and Samuel Peeples' heirs get at least half the ticket price.
The original series, too, is a toy. They are all devices of entertainment. Some toys require more skill with which to play, others do not, but all can be enjoyed on their own.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

One proviso: the "Wrath of Khan" authors should file a Writer's Guild complaint.
Ain't how it works.

Everything they did on that film belongs to Paramount, period. If characters that they created are reused by the studio they probably have a right to payment (that's true in TV and I assume in the movies) but they don't have to grant any permissions and exercise no veto power.

Carey Wilbur's estate might get payment for Khan, but they can't prevent his reuse.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Sean_McCormick
Captain

I could go into so many nonsensicalities, such as the new EVIL supership U.S.S. Vengeance. (Gee, sure like to hear what Roddenberry would think of the Starfleet naming committee.) But let's say that Gene would allow for such a thing as the U.S.S. Vengeance.

[...]
Well, to be fair, the name wasn't mentioned in the film.

[...]
We have the entire explored galaxy to build this super secret ship. So, um, let's build it two orbits out from Earth, where, any officer with an unauthorized flight plan could discover it?

[...]
Better still, put a model of the damn thing in your office, where everyone visiting you can see it.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Oh, wait. One did.

Then the big on-duty Uhura smackaroo to Spock. Very professional, very Starfleet.

Oh, and -- spoiler alert , so leave now --

Shatner-Kirk left his Khan alive and with a bold challenge on a new world. J.J.-Kirk merely refroze the nut. I assume he is in Starfleet's cryo filing cabinet? No Milton poem there. Stand the whole thing on its head, much?
Kirk smackeroo'd that blonde JAG chick at the very end of Court Martial. On duty. On the bridge! In front of God and everybody!

This is not unprecedented in Trek.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

This does not belong in the TOS Forum.

Moving to Movies...
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:35 PM   #10
OpenMaw
Commander

Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
I swear I heard it used in the comm chatter or something.
Old May 29 2013, 01:43 PM   #11
CrazyHorse89
Lieutenant

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
I swear I heard it used in the comm chatter or something.
The name can be heard over the intercom on Scotty's shuttle. It's something like: "USS Vengeance bridge crew requesting permission to enter spacedock".
CrazyHorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:51 PM   #12
CrazyHorse89
Lieutenant

It's all toys.
JJ's Star Trek is kitsch (in a fun way), but ironically, it's nowhere near as camp as TOS. After all, 'Spock's Brain' was an awful piece of television and it wasn't written by JJ Abrams or his brain trust: it was written by Geen L. Coon, of all people!

ST09 and STID are a re-imagining of the Original Series. They take things that we are familiar with and mix them up. There's a difference between this and mere pastiche.
CrazyHorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:29 PM   #13
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I think the chances that JJ will base his next movie on Spock's Brain will be the same chances as him basing it on 'A Fistful of Data's' or 'Sub Rosa'

I'll give you this, if you give me:

Kirk not only kissed the JAG girl on the bridge, he kissed a girl when possessed by Sargon, he flirted with Kodos' daughter, hugged Rand.
In Methuselah, he was flirting with a girl while his crew were dying (while on duty).
There were many other times when he slept with or chatted up girls while on duty but I don't count them as being unprofessional as he was just trying to escape some trap.

Let's not start on the PD in TOS.

You had Spock kidnapping Pike in TOS, you had McCoy disobeying orders in Empath, you had Prime Kirk stealing a Starship in TSFS. It was just anarchy.

The TOS crew was unprofessional when compared to say the TNG crew who never did anything wrong, broke a regulation, disobeyed an order, kept alcohol in their quarters, got angry, got even.

If Adm Marcus was head of Starfleet why did he have to hide anything? If he wants to build a big ginormous ship then why not?
The only thing he did wrong was to enslave Khan, use Kirk and his crew as patsies, oh and try to start a war with the Klingons. OK thats bad and not cool.

I don't think JJ Kirk stuck him back in the freezer. He was unconscious at the time. I think it was Section 32. Maybe a little bird or common sense told them he was dangerous.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Belz...
Fleet Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
I really was hoping this new Khan was going to have a great speech/argument scene justifying himself, being ambiguous or sympathetic, not just current-kewl-badguy-to-be-defeated; which, in true kiddie comic book style, he turned into as soon as the plot allowed.
And yet he did have a great speech/argument scene justifying himself, being ambiguous and sympathetic.

But let's say that Gene would allow for such a thing as the U.S.S. Vengeance.
I don't care what Mr. Roddenberry would allow (why do fans keep calling him Gene as if they knew him ?)

Shatner-Kirk left his Khan alive and with a bold challenge on a new world. J.J.-Kirk merely refroze the nut.
It's implied that this is what Khan wanted when he tells Admiral Marcus that he should have let him sleep.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The "Family" speech was his exposition. He was desperate and just wanted to leave. He was forced to work for Marcus.

As for the Vengeance, space is REALLY big. Even the distance between Jupiter and Earth is MASSIVE, so hiding her is relatively easy. Jupiter itself is pretty dangerous with the massive radiation and electrical storms.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote