RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 709
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 28 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
xvicente
Commander

Re: Division By Zero

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Yes, the good old error message. But Data is much more advanced than a hand-held calculator. His trillions of calculations per second may just provide him with a little more insight into the question than we humans could ever hope for.
nonsense. A present day supercomputer cant give an answer for that any better than a calculator made in 1970 or a pencil+paper in this case. There is no division by zero. Not trillions of calculations, not one. End of story.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
It was not clear that you were asking about depth of knowledge, just that you were wondering if Data would know. Well, yes, he would, but so might Riker or Worf.

And division by zero is just undefined. Think about it - how do you divide a number of objects between zero people? You can't. It's not infinity, it's meaningless.
Chensams wrote: View Post
I'm not math wiz but sense when does 49/0 = infinity? It's a meaningless number.
I was just throwing out a number, guys. I didn't mean that infinity was actually the answer to this. My point, again, is that maybe 24th century understanding would have something more to say about division by zero.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

xvicente wrote: View Post
Yes, the good old error message. But Data is much more advanced than a hand-held calculator. His trillions of calculations per second may just provide him with a little more insight into the question than we humans could ever hope for.
nonsense. A present day supercomputer cant give an answer for that any better than a calculator made in 1970 or a pencil+paper in this case. There is no division by zero. Not trillions of calculations, not one. End of story.
And yet thousands of years ago there was math not yet understood which would've seemed impossible to those people. The concept of zero might be more understood in the 24th century than it is now.
Old May 28 2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

Still, it doesn't mean that Data would be the best source, though. He doesn't know everything, he just assimilates knowledge faster than humans. There's no reason to think the concepts of 24th century mathematics would be above Riker's head, or Worf's, for that matter.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:51 PM   #20
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I found this video relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRolKTlF6Q
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:55 PM   #21
Captain McBain
Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Still, it doesn't mean that Data would be the best source, though. He doesn't know everything, he just assimilates knowledge faster than humans. There's no reason to think the concepts of 24th century mathematics would be above Riker's head, or Worf's, for that matter.
Yes, it's certainly possible that Riker and Worf are mathematically gifted. But if you had a choice to go to either Data or Riker and Worf for math assistance, whom would you choose? It'd be like me choosing an $8 calculator to try and do complex equations rather than seeking help from various websites, etc.

Data doesn't know everything, but it seems impossible to me that he wouldn't understand calculus. If there are people living today who are experts in calculus, I don't know how Data couldn't be. Especially since calculus is still very much revelant in the 24th century.
Old May 28 2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Pavonis
Commodore

So, your question boils down to "Does Data know mathematics?"

Yes. Yes, he does.

Not much else to say on the topic, is there?
Old May 28 2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Captain McBain
Captain

That wasn't my original question, of course. My original question was a speculative one on what our knowledge of zero may or may not be in the 24th century. Perhaps our knowledge will be the same as it is now.
Old May 28 2013, 10:38 PM   #24
Pavonis
Commodore

Which is an interesting question, but your insistence on bringing Data into the mix, as if he was of particular importance to the question, was very confusing.

Will there be new mathematical developments by the 24th century? Probably. Will dividing by zero be meaningful in the 24th century? I doubt it.
Old May 29 2013, 03:23 AM   #25
Captain McBain
Captain

I mentioned Data because he's my favorite character, and, in my opinion, he's probably better versed at various forms of mathematics than most humanoids. Maybe I should have rephrased the question to ask whether Data could explain division by zero, which is much different, of course, than merely knowing that dividing by zero yields some sort of definite answer.
Old May 29 2013, 03:59 AM   #26
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That wasn't my original question, of course. My original question was a speculative one on what our knowledge of zero may or may not be in the 24th century. Perhaps our knowledge will be the same as it is now.
That presupposes that the answer is "unknown". The answer is known - there is no answer.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 05:55 AM   #27
Tiberius
Commodore

How would Data be able to divide by zero unless the rules of mathematics have changed?

It's not like we are just waiting to discover some new number or something before we can answer it.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

49/0 would be infinity to the 49th power. Because it makes just as much sense.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Pavonis
Commodore

Maybe I should have rephrased the question to ask whether Data could explain division by zero, ....
So, you're really wondering what kind of teacher Data would be?

In the possible future of "All Good Things...", Data held the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at Cambridge University, so make of that what you will.

As for explaining division by zero, well, there's just nothing to explain. It's an undefined operation, because it's meaningless.
Old May 29 2013, 05:11 PM   #30
Marsden
Lieutenant Commander

Well, what's the square root of -1?

Tom Paris probably used it in his magic salamander shuttle.