TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 28 2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Re: AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

I saw the movie twice over the weekend and I made a Scooby-Doo "Ahuhp?" each time I heard 'the aft nacelle'. Cumberbatch imbued (?) Khan with excellent enunciation in this film... if he did not say 'aft nacelle', I need to see (or hear) some good evidence to convince me that he said something else.

And I have no idea what an aft nacelle would be. If it is a goof, it seems like an odd goof to have made its way to the screen, considering how us Trektechies would jump on it!

As Chemahkuu has well pointed out, however, nacelle could also be some engine housing other than the warp nacelles. I don't think we have ever heard or read a reference to an "aft nacelle" before, but maybe it is a brand new term for something on the jjprise...

Last edited by Robert D. Robot; May 28 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
beamMe
Fleet Captain

chardman wrote: View Post
I have a not entirely legal screener of the film (don't ask, as tsuch topics are verboten here), and just listened to this scene repeatedly, and he most certainly doesn't say "located behind the aft nacelle". I can't say for certain what he actually is saying, but it's NOT "aft nacelle". It sounds more like he's saying "located behind the arms-cell" (?), though I think it's far more likely that he's say "arsenal", though drawn out, emphasizing all 3 syllables, as "Ar-sen-al". I'd imagine that a ship's arsenal is pretty heavily reinforced, and that such an area would be a great place to locate other essential systems, such as life support.
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
I watched the movie for the 3rd time and he most definitely stated 'aft nacelle'. My brother walking out of the theater looked at me and said "where is the aft nacelle?" He thinks the writers just made a mistake in their terminology.
Sorry, but I listened to it a dozen times or more, specifically listening to that part over and over, and he does NOT say "aft nacelle". As I said before, it's not clear what he actually is saying, but it isn't "aft nacelle".
No... he CLEARLY, 100% says something other than 'aft nacelle', which we all know makes absolutely no sense, and wouldn't have survived to the final print in even the most amateurish fan film. He clearly says something that merely (but unfortunately) sounds a bit like 'aft nacelle', but isn't. And that's the only thing that's obvious.

This reminds me of the arguments of several posters years back, who insisted that JJ had changed Kirk's middle name in Trek '09, because they were convinced that the kid-Kirk told the cop his name was James Siberius Kirk".
Sorry, you are wrong. H clearly says:
Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people. Now, shall we begin?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:31 PM   #18
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

Well if you google "aft nacelle" it comes up with some interesting things (including this thread)...
I also googled "aft nacelle on the enterprise"...
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:18 PM   #19
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

beamMe wrote: View Post
I have a not entirely legal screener of the film (don't ask, as tsuch topics are verboten here), and just listened to this scene repeatedly, and he most certainly doesn't say "located behind the aft nacelle". I can't say for certain what he actually is saying, but it's NOT "aft nacelle". It sounds more like he's saying "located behind the arms-cell" (?), though I think it's far more likely that he's say "arsenal", though drawn out, emphasizing all 3 syllables, as "Ar-sen-al". I'd imagine that a ship's arsenal is pretty heavily reinforced, and that such an area would be a great place to locate other essential systems, such as life support.
Sorry, but I listened to it a dozen times or more, specifically listening to that part over and over, and he does NOT say "aft nacelle". As I said before, it's not clear what he actually is saying, but it isn't "aft nacelle".
No... he CLEARLY, 100% says something other than 'aft nacelle', which we all know makes absolutely no sense, and wouldn't have survived to the final print in even the most amateurish fan film. He clearly says something that merely (but unfortunately) sounds a bit like 'aft nacelle', but isn't. And that's the only thing that's obvious.

This reminds me of the arguments of several posters years back, who insisted that JJ had changed Kirk's middle name in Trek '09, because they were convinced that the kid-Kirk told the cop his name was James Siberius Kirk".
Sorry, you are wrong. H clearly says:
Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people. Now, shall we begin?
You can make the assertion all that you want, but saying it is so proves nothing. I assert, with equal conviction, that He says something that only vaguely sounds somewhat similar to "aft nacelle", but which is not 'aft nacelle".

So there.
Old May 28 2013, 08:04 PM   #20
shatastrophic
Commander

I've seen it three times and he says aft nacelle. All 3 of the viewings each had one person in the group state something to the effect of, "Aren't they both aft?" including myself.

I do agree with the statement, just because someone says something doesn't make it true. In this case though, the poster wasn't just saying it, he was speaking the truth. There is nothing within the Star Trek lexicon that remotely sounds like aft nacelle, he stated aft nacelle.

"Im going to take out your life support with hair gel?"

"Im going to take out you life support with a bat bell?"

"Im going to take out your life support so there's no crack smell?"

"Im going to take out your life support destroying your aft Dell"

It was just a case of laziness, using the terminology already given to the writers without thinking it through. Shit in the next one Kirk could be complaining about the food and call a replicator a turbolift. Only us fans would know, not the general populace which is who these movies are for. I don't know what's worse, the fact they misuse terminology, or that the laziness goes even further in that they don't come up with new stuff themselves so there's no contradiction.

But hell yeah, don't back down...if you heard something else then so be it, that's your right. I still choose to think that Han shot first, eventhough Greedo does now. I also choose to believe that McCoy couldn't thaw one of Khan's crew in time to extract their blood thus the need for having Khan alive. Sure you can take him out and put Kirk in and activate the tube, but he's still sitting there frozen. You'd have to cut him open and/or probably kill him to get the bloodsicles which is something McCoy wouldn't do. Whatever floats your boat!
Old May 28 2013, 08:12 PM   #21
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

I played the scene over a dozen times last night, which trumps your three viewings, and I'm still convinced that he doesn't say "aft nacelle".

There is nothing within the Star Trek lexicon that remotely sounds like aft nacelle...
Certainly not in the pre-JJverse Star Trek Lexicon. However within the JJverse itself, that may no longer be the case.

Also... in response to an earlier post:
Kpnuts wrote: View Post

"Located behind the ar-se-nal"?
Dictionary,com wrote:
ar·se·nal

/ˈärs(ə)-nl/
Noun

A place where weapons and military equipment are stored or made.
That's the way the syllables of the word actually fall. Nothing laughable about it. Nor is it at all unthinkable that Khan would draw attention to every syllable, to drive home the point that he knew precisely where to hit them.
Old May 28 2013, 08:34 PM   #22
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Sorry, you are flat out wrong.
Cumberbatch says "aft nacelle".
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

"I will target your life support systems located behind the Taco Bell."

Yep, he definitely said "Taco Bell". Khan wanted to hit the Enterprise with a torpedo right in the chalupa.
Old May 28 2013, 08:48 PM   #24
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Chalupas are widely known for being highly volatile.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

draderman wrote: View Post
Lazy writing maybe?
Definitely. The whole screenplay is littered with laziness, this is just one of the more minor examples... pretty sad for a movie with a nearly $200 million dollar production budget.
Old May 28 2013, 09:09 PM   #26
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I just hope that this alleged aft nacelle is at least in fact blue.
Old May 28 2013, 09:34 PM   #27
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yeah, he does. Both times I watched it.

I'm sorry but it's not like the line is indistinct. He clearly says that.

Or prove us wrong and post a video. I suspect, from your posts, that you have a bootleg version with bad sound. Maybe you should trust the people who actually paid Paramount for the legal right to watch the movie in theatre and have awesome sound.
Old May 28 2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Mad Jack Wolfe wrote: View Post
"I will target your life support systems located behind the Taco Bell."

Yep, he definitely said "Taco Bell". Khan wanted to hit the Enterprise with a torpedo right in the chalupa.
Now that you mentioned it, I now am remembering this dialog in "Wrath of Khan":

[Enterprise bridge]
KIRK: Damage report.
SPOCK: They knew exactly where to hit us. Right in the chalupa!
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 10:04 PM   #29
throwback
Captain

I wonder if there was a change to the dialog, and no one picked up the absurdity of what was being said.

I have the novelization before me. On pg. 265, he says,

In contrast, I will selectively target the life-support systems located in the vicinity of the engine nacelles.
There are I think great lines and monologues in this book that would have helped the film. I would be happier with the film if some of them were included. They answer some of the questions that should have been addressed in the film. I don't have an issue with a three-hour film, if that film is entertaining.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

I wonder what's "in the vicinity of the engine nacelles" other than the pylons that attach them to the rest of the ship.