Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 29 2013, 05:31 AM   #16
Third Nacelle
Captain

Re: Hair Changes in the 3rd season

^I wonder what she did with them. Maybe she made a big blonde throw rug.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 05:33 AM   #17
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
As I recall the story, by the time of Turnabout Intruder Barrett was under the impression she was through with the series. She basically stole all the Chapel wigs (which were the property of the studio) and took them home. Well they needed to film an additional scene with the Chapel character for Turnabout Intruder and the wigs were gone, so the brown hair that you see in Turnabout Intruder is Barrett's own natural hair.

If that's the case, the stylist got her real hair looking just like a high-end lady's wig. Not that I'm any kind of expert.

The only reasons I can imagine her wanting the Chapel wigs are if her own hair was thinning, which happens to a lot of women, or if she imagined going to sci-fi conventions as Nurse Chapel. [The dedicated Star Trek convention hadn't been invented yet, and in January of 1969 nobody suspected it ever would be.]
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 05:55 AM   #18
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

For his first few episodes, Walter Koenig had to wear a Max Factor lady's wig that they chopped down to Monkees length, as was the fashion at the time:

This scan is from a 1993 TV Guide article by William Shatner.
Old May 29 2013, 08:23 AM   #19
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
but for the final episode, her hair was brunette
As I recall the story, by the time of Turnabout Intruder Barrett was under the impression she was through with the series. She basically stole all the Chapel wigs (which were the property of the studio) and took them home. Well they needed to film an additional scene with the Chapel character for Turnabout Intruder and the wigs were gone, so the brown hair that you see in Turnabout Intruder is Barrett's own natural hair.

Well, she actually played Nurse Christine Ducheaux in "The Naked Time."
She was referred to as Ducheaux only in a early draft of the script.

My June 28, 1967 Final Draft shooting script has "Ducheaux." I can't find any version of the script with "Chapel." (I don't know why they would have bothered to change her last name to Chapel. She's never addressed nor referred to by her last name in the script. It would have been a name change for no real reason.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:33 AM   #20
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
[My June 28, 1967 Final Draft shooting script has "Ducheaux." I can't find any version of the script with "Chapel." (I don't know why they would have bothered to change her last name to Chapel. She's never addressed nor referred to by her last name in the script. It would have been a name change for no real reason.)

I'd guess GR fell in love with the pun on Sistine Chapel. This was right near the height of the James Bond craze, with its girl name puns. James Bond was bigger then than we can really imagine now, because we have so many outlets for enthusiasm today that nothing can get beyond a certain size. But in 1966, Bond was a global entertainment mania.
Old May 29 2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
The pointed sideburns continued but mostly Shatner looked very unkempt.
In particular, in many episodes he was in need of a shape-up to take care of his furry neck. Too bad Sport Clips wasn't around then, they give free shape-ups between haircuts.
Old May 29 2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Lance
Commodore

According to 'Inside Star Trek' many of the wigs used in TOS disappeared rather than finding their way back to the Desilu make-up department. The actors denied responsibility of course.

Shatner looked his... least "kept" in Spectre of the Gun I think. His hair is all over the place in that one. Literally all over the place.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:57 AM   #23
eddie arni
Cadet

eddie arni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:35 AM   #24
starburst
Fleet Captain

Why do we need an explanation of hair style changes, maybe those characters woke up one day and fancied a change...
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
marksound
Fleet Captain

starburst wrote: View Post
Why do we need an explanation of hair style changes, maybe those characters woke up one day and fancied a change...
Some people need an onscreen explanation for everything.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:54 PM   #26
starburst
Fleet Captain

It just doesnt need explaining though... There were bigger changes in set decoration or costuming snafus without worrying about Mr Scott's choice in hair style.

They did that once in Stargate, O'Neill walked into the infirmary to see Jackson who had just had his appendix removed, Daniel who obviously hadnt seen him for a day or so remarked he had cut his hair... But then they had that kind of banter often where as I would find it odd for Kirk to ask members of the crew if they were doing something different with their hair, McCoy did in WOK regarding Saavik however.
Old May 30 2013, 06:11 PM   #27
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Why do we need an explanation of hair style changes...
Why not? This board exists as a place for fans to discuss any aspect of Star Trek they want. Judging by the number of posts threads like this usually generate, I'd say quite a lot of members here enjoy these kinds of conversations. If you, personally, don't think the topic is worthy of discussion, why not just ignore the thread?
Old May 30 2013, 11:15 PM   #28
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

It just doesnt need explaining though... There were bigger changes in set decoration or costuming snafus without worrying about Mr Scott's choice in hair style.

They did that once in Stargate, O'Neill walked into the infirmary to see Jackson who had just had his appendix removed, Daniel who obviously hadnt seen him for a day or so remarked he had cut his hair... But then they had that kind of banter often where as I would find it odd for Kirk to ask members of the crew if they were doing something different with their hair, McCoy did in WOK regarding Saavik however.
Kirk asked first:

ST:TWOK wrote:
SAAVIK: Hold please! ...Thank you, sir.
KIRK: Lieutenant, are you wearing your hair differently?
Old May 31 2013, 05:24 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I wonder if Bele and Lokai should have been given Cheronian hair. As it was played, the actors stuck with their own actual haircuts.
Old May 31 2013, 07:57 AM   #30
starburst
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Kirk asked first:

ST:TWOK wrote:
SAAVIK: Hold please! ...Thank you, sir.
KIRK: Lieutenant, are you wearing your hair differently?
Ah yes so he did

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
Why do we need an explanation of hair style changes...
Why not? This board exists as a place for fans to discuss any aspect of Star Trek they want. Judging by the number of posts threads like this usually generate, I'd say quite a lot of members here enjoy these kinds of conversations. If you, personally, don't think the topic is worthy of discussion, why not just ignore the thread?
Not complaining, I have been guilty of wondering about some of the most random details myself, its all part of fandom.