A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 19 2013, 03:19 AM   #1
The Wormhole
Admiral

What does everyone know about Spock Prime? [probably spoilers]

In Trek XI Spock Prime was somewhat insistent on keeping his secret. For reasons of necessity he revealed himself to Kirk and by extension Scotty and Keenser also learn who he is. Although Prime insists Quinto Spock can't learn of him, the two do meet in the end. A deleted scene implies Spock Prime has no intention of telling Sarek who he is. Now in STID, Quinto Spock wanting to know about Khan contacts Spock Prime and the two of them openly discuss the Prime universe and Spock Prime is publically called "Spock" in front of the Enterprise's bridge crew.

I'm guessing this means Spock Prime is open to everyone about who he is and where he's from. In fact, the comics show that the Enterprise's senior staff at least know it and discuss it openly.

Is this logical? Given that Spock Prime has apparentally taken a solemn vow not to reveal future events, doesn't letting the fact he's from an alternate future just invite people to ask? Couldn't he have just said he's cousin Selek or something and just left his true identity a secret for Kirk, Quinto Spock, Scotty and Keenser?
Old May 19 2013, 03:23 AM   #2
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: What does everyone know about Spock Prime?

Last edited by HaventGotALife; May 19 2013 at 03:35 AM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm surprised Admiral Marcus wasn't waterboarding him for information.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Joerib
Lieutenant

I am curious if this has been discussed, does Spock Prime get deja vu (spelled right?) when Nu Spock does anything??
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:38 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If Nimoy was younger the next movie might have been about him being abducted by nefarious types and NuSpock and Kirk having to Search for Spock.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:51 AM   #6
propita
Rear Admiral

Joerib wrote: View Post
I am curious if this has been discussed, does Spock Prime get deja vu (spelled right?) when Nu Spock does anything??
Yeah, you spelled it right.

Since the timeline is so different from Spock Prime's, it's unlikely. Heck, nuSpock is with Uhura and Spock Prime isn't batting an eyelid. Not even a nictating one.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:52 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: What does everyone know about Spock Prime? [probably spoilers]

Whoa, never thought of that but.. doesn't that tell us that at some point Prime Spock had the hots for Uhura and now that he sees NuSpock with her it seems a logical choice?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
Pavonis
Commodore

The point of divergence is so close to NuSpock's birth that we can't say anything about Spock Prime's feelings for Uhura Prime. NuSpock has had a different life from Spock Prime.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
propita
Rear Admiral

Not necessarily.

While everyone can point to a few things between them (Uhura Prime's song in Charlie X), she also kissed Kirk Prime and seemed to have some understanding with Scotty.

NuSpock is NOT Spock Prime. NuSpock lost his mother much younger than Spock Prime, lost his planet (which did not happen to Spock Prime), was told by Spock Prime to live his own life (which Spock Prime realized decades later), and met nuUhura at a different/much earlier point in his life--and her life (evidently, since she was still a cadet instead of an established lieutenant).

It's implied--and pretty much stated in this movie--that Spock Prime is not telling nuSpock all that much, recognizing that the timelines are different so choices will be different. I mean, Spock Prime met Khan while already friends with Kirk, what, almost 10 years later in their lives. And re-met Khan MUCH later in their lives, after his friendship with Kirk was long-established by decades, decades more than nuKirk has been alive.

I am SO enjoying discussing these characters, and some of the relationship between the timelines.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:20 AM   #10
throwback
Captain

I was surprised that no one did historical research using the ship's computers. I think this was particularly important for this film where there was a character about whom we had two conflicting accounts of his history and his motivations.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:22 AM   #11
Joby
Fleet Captain

I myself have wondered why Spock Prime doesn't just tell everyone he's cousin Selek. I know Vulcan's are not one to lie, (generally), but Spock Prime is keen at exaggerating and obscuring the truth for the good of all.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:27 AM   #12
gerbil
Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
I was surprised that no one did historical research using the ship's computers. I think this was particularly important for this film where there was a character about whom we had two conflicting accounts of his history and his motivations.
"Space Seed" made it pretty clear that records from that era were sketchy at best.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:39 AM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

gerbil wrote: View Post
"Space Seed" made it pretty clear that records from that era were sketchy at best.
Still Space Seed does feature a picture of Khan from the 1990s. Presumably such a picture must still be in the database, or did Nero's arrival erase photographs from the 1990s?
Old May 20 2013, 02:54 AM   #14
Silanda
Lieutenant

It was probably for the best that they didn't. Khan's original background has already been contradicted by real world events, so by not exploring his background the filmmakers have sidestepped some thorny continuity issues. Considering the new fans who will see this movie, I really don't see how they could have explained this 1990's origin without completely derailing the pacing by having to explain how it happened without anyone noticing.

Also, the lack of research made the character somewhat more ambiguous. Something that wasn't really taken advantage of unfortunately.
Silanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:55 AM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I was surprised that no one did historical research using the ship's computers.
The writers chose to do the Spock Prime phone call instead. Good choice.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote