RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 380
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 27 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
JackSparrowJive
Ensign

Spoilers: The "bad guy" wasnt really who he said he was!

You know all the hubub about how Khan looks different in the new movie? Well there is one simple explanation: the character we saw in "Into Darkness" wasnt really Khan! Who was he? This guy:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Joachim

Notice the similarity of appearance between that picture and Benedict Cumberbatch?

So here is what happens: section 31 find the Botany Bay, and awakens Joachim(but has no idea what his name really is). He asks them where he is and what is going on, and they explain it is 300 years since he was frozen and that they are looking for Khan. Now remember, this guy is a devious super-intelligent bad guy. What does he say? Simple: He tells them HE is Khan!

So there you have it! Problem solved. At least, thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.
JackSparrowJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:34 PM   #2
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Spoilers: The "bad guy" wasnt really who he said he was!

Here's a less convoluted solution to said 'hubbub'. . . Two words for you: Plastic. Surgery.

Any other 'hubbub' that needs a solution? I'm sure we can think of it.

~FS
Old May 27 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The only way he isn't Khan is if Cumberbatch isn't available the next time they need the character.
Old May 27 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

One word: retcon. It's Khan. He's white now, because having an Indian or Middle-Eastern guy playing the crazy space terrorist would suck.

Note that Khan already turned white (as did all his followers, white and blond) in Wrath of Khan. Explain that!
Old May 27 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Cumberbatch lacked quite a lot of the qualities Montalban imbued the character with. For me anyway.

So I'm happy to go along with this. I had a hard time imagining Khan working for anybody, however short that might've been. Whereas I can picture Admiral Marcus having a hold over one of his subordinates, at least until the backmailed character achieves his aim of awakening others... his leader, Khan, chief among them.

If it was Khan, I'd imagine no secret training or working for Section 31. He'd be revived and cause chaos immediately. Be completely uncontrollable, as he was in a pretty short space of time during "Space Seed".
Old May 27 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
JackSparrowJive
Ensign

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
One word: retcon. It's Khan. He's white now, because having an Indian or Middle-Eastern guy playing the crazy space terrorist would suck.

Note that Khan already turned white (as did all his followers, white and blond) in Wrath of Khan. Explain that!
Dont get me wrong; I understand the "real life" explanation for why he looks different. But this is my own little pet theory for an in universe explanation, and TBH I think its pretty reasonable.
JackSparrowJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

You put a lot of thought into that but I think it was Khan and they just didn't go for TOS accuracy. Although I read for Into Darkness, Benicio Del Toro was a possible for the role.
http://screenrant.com/benicio-del-to...an-rob-142302/
That would have been pretty intense although Cumberbatch did a hand of memorable acting.
Halmirdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Anduril
Captain

Old May 27 2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Anduril
Captain

They can't explain it. It's just conveniently overlooked.
Old May 27 2013, 10:16 PM   #10
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Henceforth, he shall be called "RetKhan!"
Old May 27 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Belz...
Fleet Captain

FarStrider wrote: View Post
Here's a less convoluted solution to said 'hubbub'. . . Two words for you: Plastic. Surgery.
Here's an even simpler one: different actors.

I mean, why does Kirk look different ?
Old May 27 2013, 10:51 PM   #12
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Possibly controversial. But no more so than your average episode of 24. I had a big problem with them keeping the name Khan Noonien Singh then really, given the casting. It is you'll note... a name which denotes Indian and/or Middle Eastern ethnicity. Why not make several other racially representative TOS characters different from what was previously established too? Despite the fact both Prime and Abramsverse converge in the past and there are certain kinds of casting changes which don't add up?

I don't think they deliberately set out to make Khan white. He was Montalban, in his natural skin tone, minus whatever makeup TOS had given him.

In-universe, it probably had to do with their exile to Ceti Alpha V and the nearby explosion of its neighbour. Radiation and other environmental changes, could have a strange effect on genetically engineered people. Certainly that might explain change in hair colour from black to white. Certainly less hoops to jump through really, than I have to do to explain Khan as things currently stand.
Old May 27 2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

InklingStar wrote: View Post

Henceforth, he shall be called "RetKhan!"
Shucks, beat me to it.
Old May 27 2013, 11:25 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He's Khan. It's that simple.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 11:30 PM   #15
sj4iy
Commander

He's...Mary Poppins!

Dah dah DAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

(yeah, that picture doesn't get old)
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote