Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 27 2013, 09:14 AM   #1
throwback
Captain

Spoilers - Distance to Qo'Nos (Kronos), a math question

The Enterprise's warp core goes offline. The ship is reduced to impulse power. Sulu informs Kirk that they are twenty minutes from Qo'noS. How far is the ship from Qo'noS?

We know from the Starship Visual Simulator that, Full impulse speed is about one quarter the speed of light. (Impulse Drive)

So, using that statement, is it possible to estimate the distance between the ship and the planet? If so, what is the distance?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Spoilers - Distance to Qo'Nos (Kronos), a math question

They are 20 minutes from their destination. The ship was never supposed to actually reach Qo'Nos.
Old May 27 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought it was a twenty minute journey via Mudd's (warp capable) ship?
Old May 27 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Ryan8bit
Commodore

First, even if the 1/4 light speed number was at all accurate, it wouldn't matter because the writers don't care at all about distances and speeds.

That being said, 1/4 light speed is ~75 million m / s
Assuming no acceleration/deceleration (since those variables aren't given), that speed could cover about 90 billion meters in 20m.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
beamMe
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I thought it was a twenty minute journey via Mudd's (warp capable) ship?
Belz... is right.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Faria
Lieutenant

throwback wrote: View Post
The Enterprise's warp core goes offline. The ship is reduced to impulse power. Sulu informs Kirk that they are twenty minutes from Qo'noS. How far is the ship from Qo'noS?

We know from the Starship Visual Simulator that, Full impulse speed is about one quarter the speed of light. (Impulse Drive)

So, using that statement, is it possible to estimate the distance between the ship and the planet? If so, what is the distance?
more or less 90 millions of km
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Marcus did say to park the Enterprise at the edge of the neutral zone.
Old May 27 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The Starship Visual Simulator doesn't have anything to do with anything except merchandising. So if that's "what we know," we know nothing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
throwback
Captain

The film is all over the map when it comes to where the Enterprise is. They are either in the Neutral Zone, at the edge of the Neutral Zone, in Klingon space, or in the Klingon system. The novelization clarifies the matter somewhat - the Enterprise was to take up position near one of the moons of Qo'noS after coming out of warp.

The K'normian trading ship never goes to warp. It travels at impulse speed to its destination.

So, 90 billion kilometers, huh? Wouldn't that place the Neutral Zone in the Klingon system? (This would be the second time that the border passed through a system.)

The Starship Visual Simulator is based on what was already known in the Star Trek universe, on what was already established in the comics, and had new information here and there. It's the closest we will get to actual information on the 2009 iteration of the Enterprise.
Old May 27 2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

..But really, the less such "information" we have, the better.

STXI already had Klingons being within mere tens of thousands of kilometers of our Kelvin heroes, so there's plenty of precedent for Starfleet dancing right under the noses of these supposedly fearsome opponents. Perhaps they are not all that fearsome after all, and the movie basically repeats the pattern set in "Errand of Mercy" where an old foe is corralled inside a Neutral Zone that basically quarantines a single star system at point blank range?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
throwback
Captain

I think you are referring to the "Balance of Terror".

I was hearing the commentary for "Sins of the Father". There was a vivid description of the Klingon Empire. The Empire was governed from a resource poor planet in a modest system. Klingons were like the Spartans or the Samurai warriors. The Klingons conquered neighboring planets; the people over time came to accept the rule of the Klingons. There was more there, but I can' remember all of it now.

According to the novelization, the planets mentioned in the film conquered by the Klingons were not Federation planets, but the homeworlds of indigenous people who happened to be living close to the Klingon Empire.

I think that not by showing these conquered planets was a missed opportunity by the writers of Star Trek. These people would be like the Helots of ancient Sparta, who did the work that individuals in a military state would refuse to do, like farming and the arts.

For the latest film, the Klingons came off pretty poorly didn't they? A squad or a platoon - again, the film is not clear - was bested by a "superman". A Federation starship was able to operate unmolested in their home system; even worse, there was a battle between two ships, and the Klingons didn't even send out a ship to see what was going on. If Klingons can't even retain control over their own system, how much of a threat is their empire to the Federation?
Old May 27 2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The film is all over the map when it comes to where the Enterprise is. They are either in the Neutral Zone, at the edge of the Neutral Zone, in Klingon space, or in the Klingon system.
To be fair, TWOK isn't very clear on what the neutral zone is, either.
Old May 27 2013, 11:13 PM   #13
hammerhead
Lieutenant Commander

Wait a minute didn't the NX-01 go to Qu'Nos in "Broken Bow", in like a day or something at Warp 5? I would think that put Earth on it's doorstop.....
Old May 27 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
Vyse
Lieutenant

This has been an issue before in Trek. Remember when the Enterprise E got from the Romulan Neutral Zone back to Earth very fast in First Contact?
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

hammerhead wrote: View Post
Wait a minute didn't the NX-01 go to Qu'Nos in "Broken Bow", in like a day or something at Warp 5? I would think that put Earth on it's doorstop.....
It took 4 days for Archer's ship to get to the Klingon homeworld. Also, they never went as fast as warp 5 in the Enterprise pilot. I forget the ships top speed there but it was closer to warp 4 than 5.