Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old May 27 2013, 05:35 PM   #31
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^Uhura gives birth to the Salt Vampire!
...I have to say, though, after McCoy spanked the rather ugly newborn, the movie suddenly wasn't worth its salt...

Old May 27 2013, 06:49 PM   #32
AtoZ
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?
To answer the thread question: Yes
To answer your question: No

I thought Chris Pine and the actor who plays the new Spock were excellent choices, but I felt this 2009 flick / screenplay to be vastly incompatible with the spirit of TOS which is not about endless action, circus stunts, vengeance and goofy moments.

This flick was something between "Star Trek Troopers" and "Star Trek Academy" ("Police Academy" is on my mind), but nowhere could I find a heart and soul that tells me "Star Trek" other than what's written on the posters and opening credits.

Bob
Outstanding response!
Old May 27 2013, 06:52 PM   #33
J.T.B.
Commodore

I ignore it, but I ignore about 90% of new movies because I don't find them to be very good. ST '09 was not my kind of movie, so I won't be bothering to see the new one till it shows up on my TV some day. Does this make me closed-minded? Maybe, but I know what I like and have more than enough entertainment available so who cares?

One thing that always surprises me, though, is how personally people take one side or the other on the issue (as with TOS-R and some Star Wars issues). I may not like the movie, but I don't think that my opinion is more valid than another. It's all just a matter of taste. Using the new movies to claim greater discernment or even just seniority for ones opinions, or to dismiss others' as outdated or closed-minded just seems silly.
Old May 27 2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
ST '09 was not my kind of movie
This is a good way to put it. I saw it twice, because I wanted to like it. I thought the new cast was really good. But I usually don't enjoy movies that are more action than drama, and this turned out to be no exception. It just wasn't my cup of tea. (Earl Grey. Hot. )

So, to answer the original question, I'm not totally ignoring "new" Trek, but I'm also not going to bothering seeing Into Darkness. Maybe someday on Netflix.
Old May 27 2013, 07:20 PM   #35
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I can't get into the jjverse but view the movies to see what is going on.
Old May 27 2013, 07:26 PM   #36
Zameaze
Commodore

The new Star Trek strikes me as-- "Let's take a brawling kid with practically no training (4 years as opposed to the original Kirk with 14) and send him out to be our ambassador." Are my facts wrong?
Old May 27 2013, 07:28 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Zameaze wrote: View Post
The new Star Trek strikes me as-- "Let's take a brawling kid with practically no training (4 years as opposed to the original Kirk with 14) and send him out to be our ambassador." Are my facts wrong?
Nope.
Old May 27 2013, 07:36 PM   #38
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I may be in the minority, but I really don't think Zachary Quinto is a good Spock. I don't think it's his fault, though. He looks something like a young Nimoy and he's delivering the passive-aggressive lines he's given. He's a fine enough actor, but the original appeal of Spock was that he was exotic, that he had a certain mystique. He was kind of a big question mark. I find Zachary Quinto's Spock to be dull.

I think what they should have done (and what they should do for the next Trek reboot) is to have Spock look nothing like Leonard Nimoy's Spock. You can't top Nimoy; but you can have an actor take the role and make it his own and try to capture a sense of mystery and wonder about the character. While watching "Into Darkness," I actually wished Benedict Cumberbatch could have been cast as the new Spock, and appear exactly as he did in the movie as Harrison.

To answer the original question, do I ignore the new Trek? Well... I saw the new movie mainly because of Cumberbatch. I don't plan on ever watching it again. So, yeah, mostly I ignore it. It's not too difficult. I ignored Voyager and Enterprise, too. But I'm hopeful a future reboot will recapture the sense of wonder I felt watching the original series.
Old May 27 2013, 07:41 PM   #39
Third Nacelle
Captain

I don't really like the new Trek, but I wouldn't say I ignore it. I have seen both of them, and there are some aspects of them I like, but I just get the feeling that I am simply not the target audience of these movies. I almost never see action movies or superhero movies (which is really what NuTrek is), and if I weren't already a Star Trek fan, I think both of these movies would have simply slipped past my radar unnoticed.
Old May 27 2013, 07:42 PM   #40
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...

I felt the same way about the updated Battlestar Galactica when it aired, even though I love Ron Moore.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?

I don't ignore the new Star Trek, I embrace it. For me, it has the same classic flavor of the original series, and focuses on being fun and adventurous, rather than stodgy and laden with canon concerns.
Old May 27 2013, 07:48 PM   #41
Thor Odinson
Rear Admiral

I'll admit that it took me three viewings of ST '09 to warm up to the nuTrek. Now I love it.
Old May 27 2013, 07:57 PM   #42
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I like to think of Nutrek as a completely separate series which happens to have the same title.

But I enjoy it.
Old May 27 2013, 08:38 PM   #43
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think what they should have done (and what they should do for the next Trek reboot) is to have Spock look nothing like Leonard Nimoy's Spock.
You should enjoy the Phase II/New Voyages and Star Trek Continues fan series, then; they excel at that!
Old May 27 2013, 08:41 PM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What I do successfully ignore is CBS's ongoing attempt to see me the episodes of TOS over and over and over, as well as their chintzy merchandise with Shatner and Nimoy's images stamped all over it. nuTrek is a breath of fresh air compared to all that.
Old May 27 2013, 09:33 PM   #45
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I don't ignore nuTrek at all--I take it for exactly what it is, a distilled remake of TOS for today's audiences. It'll never replace TOS, but that doesn't mean that it isn't fun.