CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 27 2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile
Re: New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

They pretty much had no choice on the format. They were working around the fact most of them were busy with other projects.
Old May 27 2013, 08:07 AM   #17
EmoBorg
Captain

I am watching episode 3 now. Anything with David Cross and Portia de Rossi in it, is good. The first and second episodes were just ok for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; May 27 2013 at 08:20 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 08:18 AM   #18
tighr
Commodore

I think the early buzz that you could watch the episodes out of order (something Hurwitz later said is actually not a good idea) wouldn't really work. The first few episodes are clearly setups, and are extremely light on the punchlines. All the real jokes are in the later episodes, informed by your knowledge from the beginning eps. Watching later episodes without having seen the earlier ones spoil some the setup. I'm gonna let this simmer for a while, then go back for a rewatch.
Old May 27 2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Just finished it. Really enjoyed the series, hope the movie or season 5 is forthcoming.
Old May 27 2013, 12:58 PM   #20
shivkala
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
I watched the first three episodes today.

Not sure what to think. So far, it seems uneven.
If you think of it as an eight-hour Arrested Development film, it feels a little better. That first episode was bad, though.
That makes sense, since it's all inter-related.

I agree, the first episode was a mess. Michael seemed totally out of character to me.
The more episodes I watch (I made it through 7 yesterday), the less "out of character" he seems and the more "desperate" he appears. I mean, yes, he is out of character, but that's because of what he's gone through (I'm guessing) and not poor writing.

I do agree that it takes a while for it to start getting good. Probably about the same time this new batch of episodes is able to start relying on its own on-going jokes (such as "coincidence").

And, wow, I got the joke right away, but apparently some people are upset about the "Scenestealer Pro Trail Version" watermark. I guess it's just a reminder that Arrested Development's humor is very meta, as I assume the joke is a reference to the numerous people who used similar software to rip DVDs for things like YouTube or to create Gifs.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

How did people not get that joke?
Old May 27 2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I must admit I didn't get the joke! I did notice that it was only on footage from last season and at first I thought maybe it was a joke but then I thought, but what is the punchline? It must be real. I thought it was Netflix trying to stop people from stealing, it didn't occur to me that the joke was that Netflix was the one doing the stealing. It didn't bother me though, I barely noticed it after the first time it appeared.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I must admit I didn't get the joke! I did notice that it was only on footage from last season and at first I thought maybe it was a joke but then I thought, but what is the punchline? It must be real. I thought it was Netflix trying to stop people from stealing, it didn't occur to me that the joke was that Netflix was the one doing the stealing. It didn't bother me though, I barely noticed it after the first time it appeared.
Yep, the joke was that they'd been cheap and stolen the footage and cheap enough to use a trail version of the software that ripped it.
Old May 27 2013, 03:50 PM   #24
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

By the way, it's amazing how differently everyone has aged. Tobias is a little chubbier, Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why), Maeby and George Michael look much older (obviously), Gob has a few more wrinkles, and Buster and Michael appear to not have aged a day. Steve Holt looks completely different!
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 27 2013, 03:58 PM   #25
tighr
Commodore

I got it immediately, but it seems some people on the internet got pretty upset. I thought it was a classic meta joke.

There was also a scene where Ron Howard rewinds the show, and it looks like the Netflix mobile UI (complete with 10 second button and volume bar). Also, in the Buster episode he realizes something that had happened earlier, and Ron Howard says "Before you rewind all the way back to the Maeby episode, yes that happened." (Paraphrased to protect spoilers).
Old May 27 2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

By the way, it's amazing how differently everyone has aged. Tobias is a little chubbier, Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why), Maeby and George Michael look much older (obviously), Gob has a few more wrinkles, and Buster and Michael appear to not have aged a day. Steve Holt looks completely different!
I don't know, I think Lindsay has had some work done, possibly a nose job (ironic given they make so many jokes about it on the show). I didn't even recognise her as the same person at first. Think a lot of Steve Holt's change was make up.
Old May 27 2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I don't know, I think Lindsay has had some work done, possibly a nose job (ironic given they make so many jokes about it on the show). I didn't even recognise her as the same person at first. Think a lot of Steve Holt's change was make up.
Yeah, maybe that was it, regarding Lindsay. I also felt like Portia was acting differently, it almost didn't feel like the same character to me. As a result I found it difficult to get into the Lindsay episodes. I think what I didn't like about the Tobias episodes was the DeBrie character. She really annoyed me and I felt the character was unnecessary. I also felt they spent too much time on the Fantastic Four play, which I didn't find a very funny joke.
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 27 2013, 04:17 PM   #28
J.T.B.
Commodore

Episode One

I haven't the time nor the desire to watch more than one episode per day so I will probably fall out of this thread fairly quickly, as happened with House of Cards. But for now:

I didn't like Wiig and Rogan as young Lucille and young George, I guess because I know what Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor looked like in 1982, and also because it seemed funnier when they used to just put them in wigs and dress them up for flashbacks.

This was kind of a set-up episode so I didn't expect it to be great, but it was OK. The extra six or seven minutes really changed the show's pace, I thought, mostly in a good way but maybe a couple of scenes went on a bit too long. The "Showstealer" joke was great. I'm fairly optimistic based on this episode.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:32 PM   #29
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why)
Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Timby wrote: View Post
Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why)
Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.
Thought that might be the case. As I said I barely recognised her as the same person when her episode started. In fact I showed a friend some of the episodes and he said in that scene of her with the bags "she looks more like Madonna than Lindsay."