Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 26 2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Trelane from TOS and Q from TNG

I was watching getting ready for "Star Trek Into Darkness" by watching the DVD's from Star Trek Enterprise and then onto Star Trek TOS. I was able to get more than mid way in Season 2 of TOS before the movie was released last May 15, 2013.

Anyway, after watching TOS episode 119 "The Squire of Gothos", it suddening came to me that Trelane and Q had much of the same type powers. I was wondering doing of the others fans on TREK BBS feel the same?? Please let me know?
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:35 AM   #2
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Trelane from TOS and Q from TNG

I always thought the same thing, the one thing that would suggest he is not a Q entity is the machine behind the mirror in the episode. To me all other signs point to Q his powers and playful attitude toward humans.

I think that they are very closely related tho, people on this thread will be able to giveaway better answer.
marsomthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

There's actually a novel about this, Q-Squared by Peter David.
Old May 26 2013, 03:44 AM   #4
TheSubCommander
Captain

No, I think Trelane was not a Q. An alien similar to a Q, maybe, but here are the inconsistencies:

First, Trelane believed he was representing himself as how humans are, an 18th century retired general and squire, but was almost 500 years off. A Q wouldn't have made that mistake.

Second, Qs have no need of machinery to augment their powers, as Trelane did.

Third, Trelane never seemed omnipotent and lacked the intelligence of Q.

Fourth, all Q's refer to themselves and other Qs, as "Q."

Also,Trelane's parents appeared as glowing green orbs, while Qs usually take humanoid form. While a Q could theoretically appear in any form, they would have had the tendency to take a form that "humans could understand," as Q often would say. One example is Q and the Gray, where the Q Civil War took the form of the American Civil War, so humans could understand what was going on. had Trelane's parents been Qs, I think they would have appeared as humanoid to Kirk.

I think that while the Peter David novel suggests Trelane was a Q, I think it is more likely to say that Roddenberry was channeling some of what he had previously written before (IE Trelane, Gary Mitchell, etc), when he came up with the Q character.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
No, I think Trelane was not a Q. An alien similar to a Q, maybe, but here are the inconsistencies:

First, Trelane believed he was representing himself as how humans are, an 18th century retired general and squire, but was almost 500 years off. A Q wouldn't have made that mistake.

Second, Qs have no need of machinery to augment their powers, as Trelane did.

Third, Trelane never seemed omnipotent and lacked the intelligence of Q.

Fourth, all Q's refer to themselves and other Qs, as "Q."

Also,Trelane's parents appeared as glowing green orbs, while Qs usually take humanoid form. While a Q could theoretically appear in any form, they would have had the tendency to take a form that "humans could understand," as Q often would say. One example is Q and the Gray, where the Q Civil War took the form of the American Civil War, so humans could understand what was going on. had Trelane's parents been Qs, I think they would have appeared as humanoid to Kirk.

I think that while the Peter David novel suggests Trelane was a Q, I think it is more likely to say that Roddenberry was channeling some of what he had previously written before (IE Trelane, Gary Mitchell, etc), when he came up with the Q character.
Thanks, for clearing this up for me.....
Old May 26 2013, 03:54 AM   #6
TheSubCommander
Captain

You are welcome, but that is only my opinion

Some people who take the novels as canon, would definitely disagree with me.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Might Trelane have been a Q in childhood, or do Q's not experience that?
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
Might Trelane have been a Q in childhood, or do Q's not experience that?
That might a good answer as well.
Old May 26 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Lance
Fleet Captain

I don't think he's a Q. But I do think he obviously belongs to a race that is on a similar plane of existence to them. The thing is, TOS is full of these kinds of omnipotent God-like aliens. They seemed to discover a new one every other week. It's odd that by the time TNG rolled around everybody treated the Q Continuum like it was unique...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Zameaze
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
....The thing is, TOS is full of these kinds of omnipotent God-like aliens. They seemed to discover a new one every other week. It's odd that by the time TNG rolled around everybody treated the Q Continuum like it was unique...
There actually were not that many on TOS: Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonais?" and Trelane from "The Squire of Gothos."

You might add Gary Mitchell from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," but he was not an alien. You could add Gorgan from "And the Children Shall Lead" as an undeveloped character and maybe even the Beta XII-A entity from "Day of the Dove" if you are stretching it, but that's about it. I wish there had been more--some great episodes there.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:28 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Q was a blatant recycling of Trelane because Gene Roddenberry needed a subplot to pad out "Encounter at Farpoint". It's like they were already out of ideas, and they hadn't started yet.
Old May 26 2013, 04:31 PM   #12
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post

Eh? Do you remember the first time we saw Q?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
nightwind1
Commodore

Zameaze wrote: View Post
....The thing is, TOS is full of these kinds of omnipotent God-like aliens. They seemed to discover a new one every other week. It's odd that by the time TNG rolled around everybody treated the Q Continuum like it was unique...
There actually were not that many on TOS: Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonais?" and Trelane from "The Squire of Gothos."

You might add Gary Mitchell from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," but he was not an alien. You could add Gorgan from "And the Children Shall Lead" as an undeveloped character and maybe even the Beta XII-A entity from "Day of the Dove" if you are stretching it, but that's about it. I wish there had been more--some great episodes there.
Charlie Evan's "parents"
The Metrons
Arguably, Yarnek
The Organians

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, there's also the Metron in "Arena" and the Thasians in "Charlie X" and, of course, the Organians. The TOS universe is full of transcendent, god-like beings who are far more evolved than us mere corporeal entities . . .
Old May 27 2013, 02:50 AM   #15
marsomthing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was the Apollo thing ever explored more in depth? I know he too had a machine to enhance powers, but he claimed to have been a god of humans... So that rules out trelane like character..... Right?
marsomthing is offline   Reply With Quote