Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 28 2013, 02:28 PM   #46
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 - Why 'Sinclair' left the show

Orac Zen wrote: View Post

On the other hand, I wouldn't have thought my opinion of Doyle could go much lower, but it has.
Yea, he did great playing Garibaldi, but, it seems Bester's paranoia conditioning may have had lasting effects on Jerry Doyle's pysche

Thanks for posting this Jan

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:34 PM   #47
EmoBorg
Captain

It is very sad to hear about on why he left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:57 PM   #48
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Thank you for sharing this, Jan.
Old May 29 2013, 09:57 PM   #49
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Not quite on the subject of Michael O'Hare, but for those who are interested, video of two-hour reunion panel is now online.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:08 PM   #50
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That tribute video was great. Having only watched B5 for the first time recently (and really enjoying it) I didn't know some of the people had died. It was a very well done video.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 04:39 AM   #51
Brolan
Commodore

Yes, thanks very much. Threads like this are one of the reasons I come to this board.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 04:59 AM   #52
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Having only watched B5 for the first time recently (and really enjoying it)...
Wait, you enjoyed something? ALL RIGHT, WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH kirk55555?!?
Old May 31 2013, 06:16 AM   #53
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Video of JMS talking about Michael O'Hare's departure now up:

http://youtu.be/4yjOsaa7XL4
Old June 1 2013, 02:49 PM   #54
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

shivkala wrote: View Post
I have to admit, when I just saw the thread title, and not the OP's name, I did an eye roll and thought, "Not this again." I was not expecting this.

Thanks, Jan, for sharing that. Too often we're inundated by celebrities that use and abuse their fame (Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes, etc.), and of course, all the stories people have of sci-fi actors, who, when people meet them are rude, etc.

I never much cared why Michael O'Hare left the show, save I always knew it wasn't because of his ability as an actor. I fully believe he played Sinclair the way JMS wanted, and that the so-called "woodenness" of his acting, was a choice, considering who Sinclair is and what he went through.

This story speaks to courage, trust, and friendship. It also speaks to what made Babylon 5 so great, it had a creator who, while focused on the product, was also concerned with those who were behind it.
Now that I know, I'm even more saddened than I was before-what happened to him sounded like what really happened to Edward Platt (the 'Chief' on Get Smart) and what we now know was the real reason for George Reeves committing suicide that nobody but his co-star Jack Larson could face-he was depressed.

And yet, I'm relieved about this revelation, as we all now know the actual truth, and don't just believe that it was typical actor bullcrap on his part. Thank you, Jan and Mike.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Orac Zen wrote: View Post

On the other hand, I wouldn't have thought my opinion of Doyle could go much lower, but it has.
Yea, he did great playing Garibaldi, but, it seems Bester's paranoia conditioning may have had lasting effects on Jerry Doyle's psyche.
More like neocon paranoia at the USA not being what he wants it to be and also not having his career go the way it should, I'd say.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; June 1 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:21 PM   #55
Jan
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
More like neocon paranoia at the USA not being what he wants it to be and also not having his career go the way it should, I'd say.
Much as I dislike Jerry Doyle, I have to say that I think he sticks with each career he's had for exactly as long as he wants to. He's been a stock broker, a pilot, an actor, a politician, author and now a long-time talk radio host.

JMS posted a link to video of the serious part of the panel last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUTN16rrEc

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:32 PM   #56
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I have to admit (somewhat shamefully) that when I read Jan's original post, the first thought that crossed my mind was along the lines of "what do you know, Doyle was right. He really was a "nut".

I'm not saying I agree with that assessment, but on balance it seems that his accounts of O'Hares erratic behavior were at least honest...that is to say honest from his particular vantage over on Planet Jerry. I suppose what I'm getting at is that while he may be a self centered, over opinionated git, he at least appears to be and an honest self centered, over opinionated git. The truth after all, really is a three-edged sword.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:12 PM   #57
Jan
Commodore

Well...technically, it's "Understanding is a three-edged sword". Your side, their side and the truth in the middle.

Enough about him. I'm just glad that Michael had true friends like JMS, Kathryn Drennan, Sandra Bruckner and others who cared and who tried to help him. They're the ones who deserve attention but never sought it. I'm grateful that I got to hang out with Sandy a bit during the convention.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 11:24 PM   #58
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well...technically, it's "Understanding is a three-edged sword". Your side, their side and the truth in the middle.
I stand corrected, but my point stands.

Enough about him. I'm just glad that Michael had true friends like JMS, Kathryn Drennan, Sandra Bruckner and others who cared and who tried to help him. They're the ones who deserve attention but never sought it. I'm grateful that I got to hang out with Sandy a bit during the convention.

Jan
OK, this is a little more personal than I usually like to get but...yeah, speaking as someone with a family history of mental illness and having been witness to a full-on mental breakdown/departure from reality, one very nearly so and numerous episodes of paranoid schizophrenia (all different people--pardon the pun) I can totally appreciate and respect what O'Hare went though and what it took for those that stood by him to help him though it all.

We can all only hope that at our lowest times there'll be someone there to help us back up again and dust us off..
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 06:30 PM   #59
JoeD80
Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'm not saying I agree with that assessment, but on balance it seems that his accounts of O'Hares erratic behavior were at least honest...that is to say honest from his particular vantage over on Planet Jerry.
I'd say it's just that stories contain grains of truth.

Jan wrote: View Post
I'm just glad that Michael had true friends like JMS, Kathryn Drennan, Sandra Bruckner and others who cared and who tried to help him.
Also Mira Furlan and John Flinn.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote