Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 29 2013, 07:53 PM   #76
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: RLM - Half in the Bag does STID [SPOILERS]

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
if you're going to come here and rail on them, at least back up your dislike with something that the original show isn't guilty of.
Like what? Depending on who you ask, the old stuff is guilty of anything and everything.

We must like all Star Trek the same. None of it is better or worse than anything that comes before or after.

: /
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:07 PM   #77
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
What do you mean by safe?
Like as in "the obvious choice."
Old May 29 2013, 08:32 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
if you're going to come here and rail on them, at least back up your dislike with something that the original show isn't guilty of.
Like what? Depending on who you ask, the old stuff is guilty of anything and everything.

We must like all Star Trek the same. None of it is better or worse than anything that comes before or after.

: /
I can understand someone not particularly liking a continuation/update of a series they loved. Hell, I've had a hard time with both the Futurama and Arrested Development continuations. I just hate when they hammer on it for things that were actually in abundance in the originals.

It really comes down to nothing more than does it feel right/wrong to an individual viewer. I'm lukewarm on Star Trek 2009, it feels both right and wrong at the same time in comparison to the original Star Trek. I find myself loving Star Trek Into Darkness a little more every time I see it because it simply feels right.
Old May 29 2013, 08:34 PM   #79
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

rafterman1701 wrote: View Post
Wow at the anger/hate on display on a forum over people who discussed the movie on video rather than through text like we're doing now.
Great point. Somehow, their hypocrisy (in bold) escapes some--particularly when they have the habit of posting several times a day, returning to quote others minutes or hours later, etc. Time is being dedicated, yet HitB is somehow doing something different.

Yeah, sure.

But the attitude that people who dislike them are "fanboys who can't get over their nostalgia" is asinine.
Well said. Someone could suggest than the gaggle of pro-nuTrek members are easily spoon-fed plots that would not make a decent Scooby-Doo episode if not for the CG spectacle...but that's not happening. Legitimate criticism is posted here and off-site, only to meet the usual venom-filled nuTrek defense squad.

The point about "dumb" comes up a lot. Whenever someone says the new movies are dumb, the comeback now is "Trek was always dumb." That's just reductive and untrue.
Not only untrue, but if ST is dumb, then what does it say about those who continue to show up to support the latest dumb entry?

The defense squad did not take that into consideration.
Old May 29 2013, 08:39 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

I just understand that all Trek has flaws, I love it despite its flaws. Just like I love the latest movie despite its flaws.

If you love something then your far more forgiving of its flaws.
Old May 29 2013, 08:53 PM   #81
Ryan8bit
Commodore

And since this thread is about RLM, they understand that concept very much as well. They nitpicked the shit out of The Dark Knight Rises, but they also both loved the movie.

So yeah, the nitpicks themselves don't exactly have all the bearing on whether or not they think it's a great film. There's more to it than that. Maybe it's more worth trying to define exactly what that is rather than nitpicking.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:58 PM   #82
Tom Servo
Commodore

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Wow at the anger/hate on display on a forum over people who discussed the movie on video rather than through text like we're doing now.
Great point. Somehow, their hypocrisy (in bold) escapes some--particularly when they have the habit of posting several times a day, returning to quote others minutes or hours later, etc. Time is being dedicated, yet HitB is somehow doing something different.

Yeah, sure.

But the attitude that people who dislike them are "fanboys who can't get over their nostalgia" is asinine.
Well said. Someone could suggest than the gaggle of pro-nuTrek members are easily spoon-fed plots that would not make a decent Scooby-Doo episode if not for the CG spectacle...but that's not happening. Legitimate criticism is posted here and off-site, only to meet the usual venom-filled nuTrek defense squad.

The point about "dumb" comes up a lot. Whenever someone says the new movies are dumb, the comeback now is "Trek was always dumb." That's just reductive and untrue.
Not only untrue, but if ST is dumb, then what does it say about those who continue to show up to support the latest dumb entry?

The issue is, is that the supposed legitimate criticisms always have to do with the supposed dumb plots, contrived conveniences, bad science, and the action first scripts. If someone doesn't like the movie, then fine they don't like it. It's an opinion. However, as many of these films detractors here and online do, they list those reasons why they don't like it or its not "real" Star Trek (like they get to decide what that is or isn't anyway). But the issue with their argument is, is that the original show and movies on which this reboot was based have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. And for some reason, you can ignore those issues, but when it comes the the reboots, because you don't like how they were done, they are now "legitimate criticizes".

I love TOS. I love the reboot films. They also have some of the same flaws, which many members here seem to conveniently ignore for the sake of their rant against JJ and company, because the direction that was taken isn't what they wanted.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:08 PM   #83
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
If you love something then your far more forgiving of its flaws.
This is true. There are plenty of critically and commercially terrible movies that I like. Heck, I quite liked The Avengers (the one based on the 60's TV series)
Old May 29 2013, 09:42 PM   #84
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I would like to know how a balding, middle-aged man hurling Styrofoam rocks at another guy in a green rubber suit is in any way intellectually provocative.
Old May 29 2013, 09:51 PM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I would like to know how a balding, middle-aged man hurling Styrofoam rocks at another guy in a green rubber suit is in any way intellectually provocative.
I think at times Star Trek could really make you think. But it definitely wasn't the majority of the time. The majority of the time if was just fun action-adventure with really cool spaceships.
Old May 29 2013, 10:03 PM   #86
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think at times Star Trek could really make you think. But it definitely wasn't the majority of the time. The majority of the time if was just fun action-adventure with really cool spaceships.
Exactly.

I don't know why people act like it was effing Dostoevsky or Kafka.

Even "The Cage" ultimately came to blows.

Certainly non of the films (Save maybe the first one) were all that cerebral. Sure, they all offered a philosophical argument and promoted an agenda, but so did STiD.
Old May 29 2013, 10:14 PM   #87
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I don't know why people act like it was effing Dostoevsky or Kafka.
Urgh, no-one's doing that. Ever.

In many cases, the 'cerebral' nature of TOS is directly proportional to one's opinion of STID or at least it's relative.

Besides, why is someone acting 'like it was effing Dostoevsky' a bad thing? Are we not allowed to discover and discuss in depth analysis and deeper meanings any more?
Old May 29 2013, 10:49 PM   #88
sonak
Vice Admiral

Yeah, sure.

I don't think anyone here has written that "Trek was always dumb." What has been pointed out however, is that Star Trek has frequently had plots that included lots of silliness and lots of action, and that criticizing nuTrek for that and denying that it was there in original Trek looks ridiculous.

Star Trek was never primarily cerebral, hard science fiction. It's had elements of that at times, but the majority of the time it's been space fantasy/adventure oriented.
Old May 30 2013, 02:22 AM   #89
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Great point.
Really? I went back and looked at the portion of the thread which preceded rafterman1701's post. There were posts (including mine) which expressed a preference for text over video for reviews, and posts which expressed criticism of RLM's past or current style (again, including mine). But "anger/hate"? In those 24 posts, I'm not seeing that.

Somehow, their hypocrisy (in bold) escapes some--particularly when they have the habit of posting several times a day, returning to quote others minutes or hours later, etc. Time is being dedicated, yet HitB is somehow doing something different.

Yeah, sure.

But, of course, that "Great point!" served mainly as a jumping-off place to your "See how I'm not really taking a swipe at other posters" swipe at the other posters in this thread. I've spoken to you before about that and, since this example is a more pointed and direct swipe, that it earns you a warning should come as no great surprise.

Any and all comments concerning same should be made via PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:01 AM   #90
MrPointy
Commander

http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinket...nto-reference/

Short Plinkett video. SPOILERS AHOY.