Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 4 2013, 10:46 PM   #106
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies that OFFEND you

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
You're right, a single line or reference in a movie can stick in the craw despite what the rest of the film intends.
I once got an angry three-page letter (by snail mail!) because of one throwaway line of dialogue that poked fun at Ronald Reagan.

And I was once accused of being "anti-God" because I set one scene in a gay bar.
Well I guess it's possible that no matter what you do in your film or book, you may well insult someone, somewhere!

You've probably got people who refused to watch DS9 because it showed another religion, people who turned away from Doctor Who and Torchwood because of Captain Jack Harkness, households that banned Xena because of the subtext. There's a reason that many gay movie and TV stars used to take great efforts to hide their sexuality from the public.

Back to the Private Ryan example there was a furor in the UK when two characters criticized Montgomery. Well, guess what? American soldiers DID criticize Montgomery! Well, should a writer avoid characters using dialogue that people may disagree with, but is right for the characters?

I may see a movie and think "cool" whereas someone else may want all copies gathered together and publicly burned!
Old July 5 2013, 03:39 AM   #107
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I don't know what possessed me to watch Centipede on Netflix. I guess I figured it couldn't be as bad as people were saying, that it was some colossal hoax.

It wasn't as bad as people said. It was worse. What in the name of Christ would possess a director and producer to make the effort to film that loathsome, repulsive piece of shit?
Money. Make something as weirdly loathsome as possible on a tiny budget, and watch the cash of curious gore-seekers pour in.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:11 AM   #108
SeerSGB
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I don't know what possessed me to watch Centipede on Netflix. I guess I figured it couldn't be as bad as people were saying, that it was some colossal hoax.

It wasn't as bad as people said. It was worse. What in the name of Christ would possess a director and producer to make the effort to film that loathsome, repulsive piece of shit?
Money. Make something as weirdly loathsome as possible on a tiny budget, and watch the cash of curious gore-seekers pour in.
Yeppers. These movies make their money on the "OMFG!!!" reactions of a few people leading to more people seeking the films out do to curiosity and/or being gore-hounds.
Old July 5 2013, 05:36 AM   #109
Konata Izumi
Commander

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I'll say right now, I've not seen this movie and have no interest in seeing it. But even hardcore gore hounds that I know, that have seen it, hate it and rage quit it:

A Serbian Film.
Read about it on Wikipedia, forgot about it for a few hours, pondered a bit and decided it sounds like the best film ever.

Geronimo.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 05:39 AM   #110
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Not so much 'offend', more like 'annoy', but...

Starship Troopers.

Turned a serious novel into a damn joke. And Paul Verhoeven might want to keep in mind that without the war he considers so fascist, he'd be living under fascism right now.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 08:42 AM   #111
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And Paul Verhoeven might want to keep in mind that without the war he considers so fascist, he'd be living under fascism right now.
Care to explain?
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:02 AM   #112
Opus
Commodore

My take on "offended" is a personal attack against my being or values. I can't say any movie has shaken me that way. I may disagree, be turned off or disgusted, and even be angry after watching a movie, but I've never been offended.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:54 AM   #113
Pingfah
Admiral

Starship Troopers.

Turned a serious novel into a damn joke. And Paul Verhoeven might want to keep in mind that without the war he considers so fascist, he'd be living under fascism right now.
Verhoeven lived in the Hague as a child during WWII, his opinions are informed by actual visceral, violent experience. You might want to keep that in mind when you summarily dismiss his views with banal one liners.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 10:17 AM   #114
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Pingfah wrote: View Post

Starship Troopers.

Verhoeven lived in the Hague as a child during WWII, his opinions are informed by actual visceral, violent experience. You might want to keep that in mind when you summarily dismiss his views with banal one liners.
Verhoeven deliberately made it slightly satirical - look at the jingoistic propaganda vids like where the kids are showing support for the war by stomping on cockroaches with a woman insanely jumping and clapping for joy in the background for example.

Also, the film makers DID want to use the battlesuits, but during pre-production they just couldn't find a way to avoid making them too cartoony, and there was a fear that all the characters would look the same.
Old July 5 2013, 03:15 PM   #115
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And Paul Verhoeven might want to keep in mind that without the war he considers so fascist, he'd be living under fascism right now.
Care to explain?
Verhoeven's exact quote, IIRC, was "War makes fascists of us all." Which is of course his right to believe. But without war - without World War II, specifically - his country and probably the whole world would be living under Nazi domination, even today.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; July 5 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old July 5 2013, 04:14 PM   #116
Pingfah
Admiral

Do you seriously believe he doesn't know that Allied retaliation in WWII was necessary?

The film is a satire on media and government exploitation of patriotism, it's not specifically an anti-war movie.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 07:56 PM   #117
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Do you seriously believe he doesn't know that Allied retaliation in WWII was necessary?
Well, I sure do hope that he - and everyone else - does know that. But I can only go by what he said (the quote comes from the DVD commentary) and how shitty the movie was.

It would have been better if 1) Verhoeven had bothered reading the book to the end, and 2) the film hadn't started out as some other thing completely unrelated to the book but with the name hastily slapped on at the last minute (similar to I, Robot).
Old July 5 2013, 08:21 PM   #118
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Verhoeven's exact quote, IIRC, was "War makes fascists of us all." Which is of course his right to believe.
I don't know the context in which he said it, but it strikes me as an infuriatingly glib and simplistic statement. I'm sure Verhoeven is aware that if the Allies hadn't gone to war to defeat the Nazis, he and his compatriots would be speaking German now.

(Although it's not really all that different from Dutch.)
Old July 5 2013, 08:30 PM   #119
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Verhoeven's exact quote, IIRC, was "War makes fascists of us all." Which is of course his right to believe.
I don't know the context in which he said it, but it strikes me as an infuriatingly glib and simplistic statement.
Not to mention completely untrue...

I'm sure Verhoeven is aware that if the Allies hadn't gone to war to defeat the Nazis, he and his compatriots would be speaking German now.
...for that very reason.
Old July 5 2013, 09:01 PM   #120
Konata Izumi
Commander

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I'll say right now, I've not seen this movie and have no interest in seeing it. But even hardcore gore hounds that I know, that have seen it, hate it and rage quit it:

A Serbian Film.
Read about it on Wikipedia, forgot about it for a few hours, pondered a bit and decided it sounds like the best film ever.

Geronimo.
review I'll have to add that "A real, happy Serbian Family." has to be one of the coolest lines ever, in its hilariously inappropriate hubris.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote