Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 18 2014, 10:36 PM   #151
Shik
Commander

Re: Movies that OFFEND you

Or any remake, really.

Hollywood is the center of massive budget, but if you want original creative film ideas y'gotta look elsewhere.
Old February 19 2014, 01:04 AM   #152
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

I'd at least have more faith in remakes if they took some chances with it. Most just place it safe and try to appeal to a very wide audience.

With RoboCop, the original had themes of identity, a corporation that cares more about the bottom line than human life (even the lives of their employees), privatization of public services, massive corruption, man vs machine (both internal and external), life, death and messianic imagery while done through a dark satire of 1980s America with extreme violence about a cyborg regaining his humanity. All of that is still relevant today because we're starting to actually live in that world. We literally have flying robots that kill people, companies buying up public services (including the city of Detroit) and general notion that corporations really run the country due to lobbying the government. We just don't have a cyborg police officer we can root for as he recovers his identity from the company that stole it from him.

It can be done, but its easier to make an action movie where they have to explain to the audience that he's fighting his programming because they assume the audience is too dumb to realize it.

There were some great remakes in the 80s like The Thing and The Fly. Both took the original concept and went in a different direction. The Thing is more about paranoia than a monster and The Fly is more about watching someone you love being consumed by an illness than a giant fly. I actually saw a comment from Fox about remaking The Fly again because they wanted to see The Fly actually fly around.
Old February 21 2014, 02:32 AM   #153
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I once got an angry three-page letter (by snail mail!) because of one throwaway line of dialogue that poked fun at Ronald Reagan.
How dare you, sir!!! I'm writing another. What's your address?

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
Also, the film makers DID want to use the battlesuits, but during pre-production they just couldn't find a way to avoid making them too cartoony, and there was a fear that all the characters would look the same.
Wow ... for being so forward in labeling SST a "satire", they sure missed the irony of that attitude.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 03:44 AM   #154
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I advise going in with alcohol, some good friends and the desire to mock it. Because I really can't tell if the movie is taking itself too seriously or it a parody of movies that do that.
The really disturbing thing about The Human Centipede is knowing that it probably exists because that's a fetish for someone.
Old February 21 2014, 03:57 AM   #155
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

BigJake wrote: View Post
I advise going in with alcohol, some good friends and the desire to mock it. Because I really can't tell if the movie is taking itself too seriously or it a parody of movies that do that.
The really disturbing thing about The Human Centipede is knowing that it probably exists because that's a fetish for someone.
What's really disturbing is that everything is. I found a subreddit for people who get off on gaining so much weight that they can no longer walk. They post photos of themselves and post tips on gaining more weight than land mammals should be capable of gaining and surviving longer than a few hours.
Old February 21 2014, 02:37 PM   #156
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Rumor has it the Borg go into the amputation and implant fetish region. It's everywhere.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:53 PM   #157
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned "Rabbit Test."
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 07:12 PM   #158
Shik
Commander

What's really disturbing is that everything is. I found a subreddit for people who get off on gaining so much weight that they can no longer walk. They post photos of themselves and post tips on gaining more weight than land mammals should be capable of gaining and surviving longer than a few hours.
"Follow your dreams--you can reach your goal; I'm living proof. Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!"

As for as remakes go...if it could be done correctly...Network. Still relevant today as in 1976. More so. Boy HOWDY, was that sucker prescient.
Old March 21 2014, 03:44 AM   #159
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

stj wrote: View Post
Things like Monster (about Aileen Wuornos) or Pain & Gain, are not precisely offensive but really, really creepy. Not least because they didn't seem so while you were first watching them.
I really liked Pain & Gain. I thought it was hilarious. What was wrong with it?

the G-man wrote: View Post
One of the things I enjoyed about "Doc Hollywood" was when the Bridget Fonda and Woody Harrelson characters were allowed to move to LA even as the lead ended up going back to the small town.
Oh, that reminds me, Cars "offends" me for totally ripping off Doc Hollywood and then totally getting away with it!

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
As a gay guy I'm offended by how boring Brokeback Mountain was.

These were best movie nominees for 2004...

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Good Night, and Good Luck.
Munich
Crash
Yeesh, that's an uninspiring bunch. I've only seen 2 of them but I don't really have any burning interest in seeing the other 3. Of the 2 I have seen:
I hated Munich. I didn't think it was physically possible for Spielberg to make a movie that dull.
Good Night and Good Luck wasn't terrible but it was a very dull hagiography and only exists because Edward R. Murrow isn't still around for George Clooney to give him a blow job in person.

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
The only movie I can ever recall being offended by was Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes", with Robert Downey, Jr. Nothing against RDJ; I loved him in "Chaplin", and I love him as Tony Stark. But Sherlock Holmes has been my favorite fictional character since I was thirteen, and that movie just made me want to throw things. I never had high hopes for it, but I tried to keep an open mind, because I didn't want to be one of those hard-core traditionalists. But I guess that's what I am. Apparently the director didn't think that audiences would be interested in a movie built around Holmes's brilliant feats of deductive reasoning, so he went with fistfights and explosions. I know, Holmes is an excellent boxer and swordsman, but he's no action hero. His greatest strength is his mind, but there was barely any of that in Ritchie's film. Just a lot of cheap thrills and pandering to the lowest common denominator. I refuse to even watch the sequel. Even though I always said Stephen Fry would make a great Mycroft.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. Holmes is just very near and dear to my heart. On the other hand, I am a big fan of BBC's "Sherlock". So far it's done a great job bringing Holmes into the modern age, while preserving the spirit of the original stories.
I agree that the Guy Ritchie movies don't feature enough deductions for my taste. But then, that's kind of a tough thing to get on screen. Sherlock and a lot of the other adaptations kinda gloss over that stuff too. But I thought the Guy Ritchie movies got the characters absolutely right!
Old March 21 2014, 09:01 PM   #160
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I thought the Guy Ritchie movies got the characters absolutely right!
You mean like the part where Watson punches Holmes when he makes a sly jab at him? Yeah, some real fidelity to the source material there.

(I'm not saying it's horrible, or even that such a spin on the characters doesn't have its place. But to say that it accurately portrayed Doyle's heroes is just objectively and pathetically false.)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 09:40 PM   #161
publiusr
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
As a gay guy I'm offended by how boring Brokeback Mountain was.
Not to mention all the western-wear jokes and quotes you just know that film inspired.

Making Love with Michael Ontkean was at least set in sleepy suburbia, although Personal Best was easier on the eyes from my standpoint.

Even though I've never seen The Hunger Games or Divergent there is a part of me that I am certain would side against the heros.

I remember a comedy program where Fred Willard as himself was talking to Freddy Krueger, where Willard, like myself, had no problem with the slaughter of teenagers by the dozen.

"Nobody likes them anyway."

Even though I wasn't far from a teen myself--I understood perfectly...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534945/

Then too, I never root for the wildebeest in nature documentaries.

Man, everything takes them out. Lions...hyenas...crocodiles...rabbits...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 12:54 AM   #162
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Gaith wrote: View Post
I thought the Guy Ritchie movies got the characters absolutely right!
You mean like the part where Watson punches Holmes when he makes a sly jab at him? Yeah, some real fidelity to the source material there.

(I'm not saying it's horrible, or even that such a spin on the characters doesn't have its place. But to say that it accurately portrayed Doyle's heroes is just objectively and pathetically false.)
True, Dr. Watson may never have punched Sherlock Holmes in the face in the original stories. But what I was referring to was the Guy Ritchie movies recapturing the pricklyness of Holmes & the strong confidence of Watson. Both of those personalities came across so strongly in the early Doyle stories. IMO, the Guy Ritchie movies bring those back to the forefront, undoing the decades worth of damage that Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce did to the characters' reputations.
Old March 23 2014, 06:33 PM   #163
Gaith
Rear Admiral

True, Dr. Watson may never have punched Sherlock Holmes in the face in the original stories.
Nor would any self-respecting women of the times have tossed a glass of wine in someone's face at a restaurant, far less one of her social betters. And about a hundred other examples.

IMO, the Guy Ritchie movies bring those back to the forefront, undoing the decades worth of damage that Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce did to the characters' reputations.
By swapping one sort of damage for other another?
John Hammond: Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, you're making all new ones.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 07:24 PM   #164
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Americianized movies that had nothing to do with Americia but they make it seem like it was all their idea and how America takes such an Americanized stereotyped approach to anything that isn't Americian.
It actually doesn't offend me really, just annoying that the majority of movies these days only ever deals with the U.S.
If aliens visit, they go to Americia.
If theres a world ending event, only Americia can stop it.
The world goes to war? Only an Americian can end it
Mad man on the loose? Must be from another country, because only heros come from the US.
Transformers, intelligent life from deep space that have explored the galaxy... well, they better go to the US too because no other country is worth it.
Yes I get they do add other countries to the movies, like in Transformers and such, but its always like in the corner of these screen, and luck to be mentioned once, or only if u can recognize the uniform.
And yes, I do know there are movies out there that dont fit into this. Im just talking about the average movie thats always on TV or the majority of movies that seem to come out today. I know theyre all mostly made in Hollywood.

Like I said, not so much Offensive as its just annoying.
Just sayin.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 07:26 PM   #165
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

IMO, the Guy Ritchie movies bring those back to the forefront, undoing the decades worth of damage that Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce did to the characters' reputations.

Honestly, I felt it was focused way too much on that, to the point of being caricatures. There are ways to do it more subtly while still being faithful to the material.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote