Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 30 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

Brent Spiner & Robert Picardo use Kickstarter for orbital telescope

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...for-everyone-0

Planetary Resources has teamed up with Virgin’s Sir Richard Branson, actors Seth Greeen, Brent Spiner and Rob Picardo, Bill Nye the Science Guy, futurist Jason Silva, and MIT astrophysicist Dr. Sara Seager to support the development of the ARKYD telescope. This will be a great educational tool for K-12 students and the public to explore space with sophisticated technology.
The ARKYD is a technologically advanced, orbiting space telescope that will be controlled by YOU, the crowd, through your pledges and community involvement! You can even direct your telescope time to non-profit science centers and universities for use in your communities!
Just think about the true impact of this endeavor for a moment. Together we can provide access to technology that costs tens of millions of dollars into the hands of students, scientists and a new generation of explorers, who will use it in ways we can’t even fathom yet!
At Planetary Resources, our primary focus is mining asteroids, and we’re pushing the boundaries of what is possible by vertically integrating and applying innovations from consumer-based industries. It’s our goal to reduce the cost of space observatories many times over, allowing anyone to access them for their own use. We want to empower the crowd to solve the big problems of our time — and this is the first step to making that a reality.
I can't wait to see the global arguments pop up as to whose turn it is...
Old May 30 2013, 01:49 AM   #2
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: Brent Spiner & Robert Picardo use Kickstarter for orbital telescop

Interesting.
Nice that they'll let some kids play with the telescope, but why not do this kind of thing with NASA rather than these rock-miners? Wonder what they paid the actors and such. Too bad priorities are so fuckward. We should have many such telescopes available to the schools, through public funding. Ah well. Cool if it launches. I have other priorities.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:02 AM   #3
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Interesting.
Nice that they'll let some kids play with the telescope, but why not do this kind of thing with NASA rather than these rock-miners? Wonder what they paid the actors and such.
Not to be a downer, but I'd guess that this part is pretty much a given.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 03:08 AM   #4
sojourner
Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
but why not do this kind of thing with NASA rather than these rock-miners?
Because the rock miners are the ones doing it? It's not like someone came to them with the idea. Regardless, if this were done by NASA it would cost us much more in tax dollars, take tens of years to get launched and probably get cancelled by some congressional idiot. Leave the government out of things when possible.
Old May 30 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, this will be a lot cheaper through a private organization. I'll have to look at the presentation to see what it can actually do, but I'll probably back it.
Old May 30 2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Likely the only way something like this would ever get funded. My Dad has worked indirectly with Bill Nye in the past, when my Dad donated several of his kits to a school, where they assembled them and learned about telescopes and astronomy under the eye of Bill Nye. So, he's done this kind of thing before, and if he supports this project, it lends some weight to it in my mind.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Looks pretty good. I backed it.

The status counters update in real time; the project gained about a thousand dollars as I watched the presentation video.