February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile
Dumb questions about Star Trek Into Darkness (Spoilers)

My wife I were confused about a couple of plot points, and were hoping someone could clarify?

1.)

2.)

Thanks, and sorry if this is painfully obvious.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
foreverton
Ensign

Re: Dumb questions about Star Trek Into Darkness (Spoilers)

Regarding number two, according to Bob Orci in a post last night to trekmovie, McCoy's line about not knowing the proper procedure to wake an augment from cryo explained it. He wasn't willing to take that risk just to unfreeze another augment, but was when Kirk's life was on the line. He went for Khan's blood since it was proven to work by bringing the tribble back to life.
foreverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep, McCoy knew what Khan's blood could do. Any idea that everyone else on ice was identical genetically to their leader was an unproven one.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
BigMovieGeek
Commander

As for question one, I didn't actually notice that point, but I would put it down to the Vengeance being super cool and advanced.
BigMovieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

As for Carol, one of the disadvantages of visual communication, she was broadcasting her location on the bridge for them to lock onto her based on the feed.

As for the shields, they were failing or barely there most of the scenes after taking fire, probably weak enough to forcibly beam someone if they had a direct idea where they were (i.e. Carol) but BSing Khans location meant the Vengeance wasn't able to discern him properly.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

Ah. Thanks.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

SPOILERS

foreverton wrote: View Post
Regarding number two, according to Bob Orci in a post last night to trekmovie, McCoy's line about not knowing the proper procedure to wake an augment from cryo explained it. He wasn't willing to take that risk just to unfreeze another augment, but was when Kirk's life was on the line. He went for Khan's blood since it was proven to work by bringing the tribble back to life.
Which doesn't make much sense, really. McCoy took one augment out of cryo anyway, why not just try his blood while you're at it?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the "magic blood" plot point. It seems more like it was an easy out for killing/resurrecting Kirk and they figured, "Well they never specifically said that original Khan didn't have magic blood, so..." His blood helping heal sickness I can kinda go with. Re-animating a corpse? Meh, not so much.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:04 AM   #8
mrpopsicleman
Cadet

Marcus could have know the shield frequency or prefix code of the Enterprise in order to beam Carol over. He was a rather high ranking officer that would either know or have the ability to obtain such things. Honestly though, when they were under attack, it didn't look like their shields were doing much shielding against the evil Excelsior wannabe's weapons anyway.
mrpopsicleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 04:01 PM   #9
lawman
Commander

Still pretty fuzzy plot points, if they call for this kind of ex post facto fan rationalization. The bridge scene was very clear about the fact that shields were still up, and one of the basics of Trek has always been that you can't transport through shields.

(Hence the bizarre bit in Trek'09 where Nero conveniently left his shields down while attacking, b/c otherwise Kirk and Spock wouldn't have been able to beam aboard...)

As for the blood thing, I can grant that a little more leeway. Time was of the essence, and it was presumably a lot quicker to work with the resource at hand than to defrost and test a new one. Still, it wasn't really the *only* option as McCoy made it out to be...
Old May 19 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
AlxxlA
Lieutenant

foreverton wrote: View Post
If he doesn't know how to operate a cryotube, why was he able to get the other Augment out and Kirk in so quickly?
AlxxlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:33 AM   #11
throwback
Captain

I feel Bob Orci is ignorant. These people are in an induced coma state. Doctors in our contemporary era can take blood samples from comatose patients without having to wake them. And, considering this is the future, I would think their ability to decode the genetic structure could be done in minutes. A greater concern I have is that blood type has to match blood type. If it doesn't, there is a probability that the bodies' immune system will attack the new blood.

It is possible to beam through shields. Miles O'Brien was able to beam through the shields of the Phoenix, because he knew the frequency. Shields go through a cycle, and, at the end of each cycle, there is a brief pause. Time the transport just right, and a person can get onto a ship.

Is it my imagination, or are the transporters in this new Star Trek slower than the older transporters? And, is it my imagination, or was Carol Marcus experiencing pain when her father was attempting to beam her off the Enterprise?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:38 AM   #12
AlxxlA
Lieutenant

throwback wrote: View Post
And, is it my imagination, or was Carol Marcus experiencing pain when her father was attempting to beam her off the Enterprise?
I interpreted it as fear. Being beamed without expecting it is probably quite violating, not to mention that she's being kidnapped by her evil father whose only reason for not killing the entire crew of the Enterprise was her presence there.
AlxxlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:53 PM   #13
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Spock Prime on New Vulcan

I suppose I didn't get this with the last movie, but Spock Prime could not get back to his own time-line correct? The reason New Spock (sorry for these names) can speak with him is because they are now existing in the same time? Does Sarek know his son is living on New Vulcan with him? I don't know how I thought Spock Prime went back to his own time-line.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:27 PM   #14
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I was a bit confused by the inconsistent (and pervasive problem, as it effects Trek XI too) use of beaming people who were moving versus people who are stationary. Harrison and Spock are on a moving vessel but are "Moving too much" to be beamed, yet Chekov could beam two guys who were falling at hundreds of miles a minute in the previous movie. Carol runs away from the beaming process, either out of fear or an attempt to not be beamed, yet still was beamed intact when the "falling" Amanda Grayson couldn't be beamed even though they were already locked on. Uhura can be beamed on to a fast moving object while not being subject to the object moving too far ahead of her and falling to her death.

Yeah, yeah... plot needs and everything but it was a little bit of an issue I noticed. Doesn't really detract from the plot in anyway, just a... thing.
Old May 19 2013, 10:41 PM   #15
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

I believe there is no definitive answer for either question in the movie, fan theories notwithstanding.