Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old May 23 2013, 10:33 PM   #121
RXTT
Lieutenant

Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

From another part of the Trek BBS

Morgan Gendel: Right. What they do on Star Trek that they don't do on any other show is they give you a bible yay-thick, with all the stuff about the series

Research is key!
Old May 23 2013, 10:40 PM   #122
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RXTT wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
all you have to do is look up any relevant details that were already included in the canon.
A writer doesn't have to do anything except write.

...And pay his taxes.

All writers worth their salt do research.
Bologna.

Have you ever read anything describing how writers do what they do? I don;t mean specifically novelists, but TV writers, script-writers, etc? They ALL DO RESEARCH.
It's part of the job, yep.

And, honestly, you can bring yourself up to speed on almost any series in a couple of weeks.
Old May 23 2013, 10:47 PM   #123
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Have you ever read anything describing how writers do what they do? I don;t mean specifically novelists, but TV writers, script-writers, etc? They ALL DO RESEARCH.
Everybody does research everyday. Does it help? Yes. It's not, however, what makes them good writers "worth their salt" nor is it a requisite for writing a good story.

There have been countless stories written were the entire contents came strait from the creators' brains.

In other words, your sweeping generalization was total bologna.

"canon" stuff just lays out a blueprint. This makes sure that we do not see Spock characterized as a fey, lazy brat.
If portraying Spock as a gluttonous sloth works for the betterment of the story you're trying to write, portray him as a gluttonous sloth.

From another part of the Trek BBS

Morgan Gendel: Right. What they do on Star Trek that they don't do on any other show is they give you a bible yay-thick, with all the stuff about the series

Research is key!
First of all, all TV shows have bibles. Secondly, all TV shows contradict their bibles all the time.

Research is optional but ultimately immaterial.
Old May 23 2013, 11:11 PM   #124
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Abrams did not save the franchise.

He created a new franchise, which is good for different reasons.
Old May 23 2013, 11:11 PM   #125
CaptPapa
Commander

Vonnegut, Kafka, Orwell, Murakami, Bukowski, Dostoyevsky....these people did not write fiction just to "entertain." Entertainment is not a dirty word. It is the first step to making your audience think.
No. They wrote to entertain.

Even highly entertaining writers of genre fiction like Robert E. Howard, HP Lovecraft, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had bigger goals for their work than just entertainment.
Yes. Call it earning a living.

They priority for creating something pretty much goes like this: entertainment ---> money.

Didactic pontification is a distant third, that is, unless the artist is a giant, pretentious douche. None of those you mentioned were.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why should a writer be forced to verse themselves in seven-hundred hours of material in order to write something?
Exactly™.

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
So we will never go anywhere.
I don't know about you, but I will be merely skipping off to the theatre, perhaps while whistling a jaunty tune.

Wow - could not disagree more with your assessment of why a creative person creates. From my experience (married to an artist, not a writer), a creative person creates because they have something inside them that needs expression. Maybe it's different for a creative person who is a writer, than for a creative person who is an artist.
This thread is moving pretty quickly so this might have already been adressed, but I'll bet most (all?) of the professional writers on this site would disagree too. Of course it's great to earn a living, but is that the initial concern? Is that what first motivates a creative person to create? I'm thinking . . . NO!
Old May 23 2013, 11:11 PM   #126
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Do you know how thick that Bible would be if you included all the minutiae from seven hundred hours of material? It would put the regular Bible to shame.

I know. I meant, the basic stuff. Important events in the timeline, what's physically or technologically forbidden on the show, that kind of stuff.

Of course, if it were me, that would all be done before the first pilot were produced, but that's me and my insane obsession with detail and structure.

That said, a reasonable amount of faithfulness simply helps suspension of disbelief and appreciation for a work of higher quality. But I can live without it.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 23 2013, 11:15 PM   #127
Warped9
Admiral

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Vonnegut, Kafka, Orwell, Murakami, Bukowski, Dostoyevsky....these people did not write fiction just to "entertain." Entertainment is not a dirty word. It is the first step to making your audience think.
No. They wrote to entertain.

Yes. Call it earning a living.

They priority for creating something pretty much goes like this: entertainment ---> money.

Didactic pontification is a distant third, that is, unless the artist is a giant, pretentious douche. None of those you mentioned were.

Exactly™.

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
So we will never go anywhere.
I don't know about you, but I will be merely skipping off to the theatre, perhaps while whistling a jaunty tune.

Wow - could not disagree more with your assessment of why a creative person creates. From my experience (married to an artist, not a writer), a creative person creates because they have something inside them that needs expression. Maybe it's different for a creative person who is a writer, than for a creative person who is an artist.
This thread is moving pretty quickly so this might have already been adressed, but I'll bet most (all?) of the professional writers on this site would disagree too. Of course it's great to earn a living, but is that the initial concern? Is that what first motivates a creative person to create? I'm thinking . . . NO!
I'm inclined to agree. Financial gain is often not the prime motivation for creative endeavour. Surely it could be a factor, but often not a prime one.
Old May 23 2013, 11:16 PM   #128
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Abrams should not have to adhere strictly to Star Trek canon just like Christopher Nolan should not have to adhere strictly to Burton-Batman canon.
Old May 23 2013, 11:18 PM   #129
Warped9
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Abrams should not have to adhere strictly to Star Trek canon just like Christopher Nolan should not have to adhere strictly to Burton-Batman canon.
In principle I agree. My issue with Abrams' approach (and not really the subject of this thread) isn't that the franchise was rebooted but with the direction taken and the overall execution.

Now back to the subject at hand...
Old May 23 2013, 11:23 PM   #130
horatio83
Commodore

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I tend to agree but then again I also think that motivations are overrated. Sometimes people can create something sublime while having the lowest motivations.
One of my favourite writers became famous when he was nearly broke and wrote a novel which was printed in a newspaper. I prefer his late work, written when he was long out of dire financial straits, but this early novel has always been his most popular one.

Last edited by horatio83; May 23 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 23 2013, 11:28 PM   #131
Warped9
Admiral

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I tend to agree but then again I also think that motivations are overrated. Sometimes people can create something sublime while having the lowest motivations.
One of my favourite writers became famous when he was nearly broke and wrote a novel which was printed in a newspaper. I prefer his late work, written when he was long out of dire financial straits, but this early novel has always been his most popular one.
You goofed on the QUOTE. I didn't say this. CaptPapa did. I just agreed with him.
Old May 23 2013, 11:40 PM   #132
horatio83
Commodore

Sorry Warped9, I corrected it.
Old May 23 2013, 11:41 PM   #133
Warped9
Admiral

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Sorry Warped9, I corrected it.
No probs.
Old May 24 2013, 12:13 AM   #134
MacLeod
Admiral

I lean slightly towards no, that isn't to say he didn't have an impact on it.

But it was the fanbase in part that saved the franchise. Remember during the 70's it was the fans who kept the show alive and proved to the studio there was a demand for new trek. So an animated show was made, then plans for a new live action show which turned into a movie and so on.

Something similar happend with DW in the UK, the fans kept it alive and eventually it was regenerated by the BBC.

So perhaps JJ's biggest impact was to make true cool again.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 24 2013, 12:19 AM   #135
Belz...
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But it was the fanbase in part that saved the franchise.
How so ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Closed Thread